Price of 9mm JHP?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vincine, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Is it normal for JHP to be 1.5 to 2x as expensive as FMJ? What’s a good ppr now-a-days for JHPs?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I like Federal Hydra Shoks, Winchester PDX1 and Speer gold dots , but you need to make sure what you pick out works well in your gun

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Is .65 a reasonable ppr for 124gr regular pressure 9mm JHPs?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. petesrt4

petesrt4 New Member

yes that's normal I just bought some JHP and after tax it was 78cents a round! but hey look at it this way it protects you... crazy prices only go higher

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Can depend on the load. Pre panic prices for Speer Gold dots was around $16-18 per 25 rounds. A box of 50 Winchester Rangers would run about $25-27.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Yes, for a brand name new load today.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't think I've ever paid less than a dollar per round for 9mm defensive ammo.

8. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I paid more for Hornady Critical Duty

9. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

I use Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr JHP.$19.00 before taxes at my LGS.Box of 25 rounds.

10. noylj

noylj Member

It depends. The FMJ is the mass-produced, "slam 'em out and ship 'em" bullets. The JHPs, on the other hand, represent years and decades of design and testing and adjustment costs that are made more precisely and in smaller batches. Thus, when I want an accurate jacketed bullet, I go JHP and don't even look at FMJ.
    Next, it depends on where you shop: if you go to Precision Delta, Zero, or Montana Gold, the JHPs are only a dollar or two more per 1000, and are priced right with the plated bullets that I have been universally disatisfied with for years; however, I believe these are made for accurate target shooting and are not self-defense designs.
    If you are buying PREMIUM bullets, they will simply cost more than bulk bullets of 100 year old designs where development costs were covered by the 1920s.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In your opinion, what features exactly make a HP bullet ballistically better than a RN?

12. noylj

noylj Member

The ballistic "better" of a JHP? The difference between a 3" and a 1.5" group. The on-target ballistics (paper or other). I would "expect" group size to be smaller with a hollow base, but the only bullets with significant hollow bases are 148gn L-HBWC and, while they are very accurate, have a rather excessive hollow base. I have no idea why JHPs are almost always more accurate than FMJ-RN, but they are for me. JHP and L-SWC are almost always the "most accurate" bullets and the ones seen on the firing lines (when "legal") at every single Bullseye competition--I believe the RN bullets only show up on the line where they are required for service competition.
    PS: sorry, I thought the question was about bullets, but seems to be about ammunition.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I thought it was about the bullets, speaking of JHP vs FMG. Is there a difference in the rest of the cartridge?

14. Shade

Shade New Member

Hollow points generally are higher priced than FMJ.

I just picked up some Federal JHP for $28/50 rnds at luckygunner.com

15. Shade

Shade New Member

With everything else equal they will always be more accurate.

Hollow point bullets shift the center of gravity (CG) to the rear of the
    bullet, this increases the stability of the bullet. That is why match
    grade rifle bullets are generally HP bullets.

16. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Hornady Steel Match is a great target round and is cheaper then most premium JHP ammo