Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else notice ammunition prices beginning to drop?
From what I see they are down 15-20% from their height.
Maybe some start to normalizing in the market?
Stock catching up to demand?
Anyone else notice?
Admittedly prices are still very high, just not to the ridiculous level they were.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
I've not yet, no.

Starting to hear some speak of it, so perhaps it is beginning to "trickle down" to the buyers. Just not anywhere near where I live, not in the stores. Most ammo that 18mos ago used to be $15/bx (of 50rds) is still typically well north of $30/bx. Most rifle ammo that was $18/bx (of 20rds) is still typically $35-50/bx. And most shops have little to no ammo in stock.

One big exception to the availability question is a big vendor in the area. Most weeks, they seem to have several pallets' worth of 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP, along with countless cases of shotgun shells, and a solid variety of rifle cartridges. But there don't seem to be many shops like them.

Heard recently from a gun store staffer who'd spoken with a number of his ammo distributors. Said that it's known in the industry that there's a good 2+ year backlog on ammunition production, and they don't see it easing up anytime soon. My guess is that any changes seeming to appear at a few shops here and there are temporary aberrations and that the "solution" is going to be with production supply overtaking demand, which isn't going to improve for a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Last couple of weeks, some online companies've been advertising ammo available but it's still at inflated prices. Local stores here still quite expensive w/limited choices. Ruger Wrangler .22 revolver - now $230, Heritage .22 revolver - $175. Heck, even percussion caps are sold out. Long gun rack - one gun with four empty spaces between the next one. Sad.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Yeah, i am getting lots of email on ammo. When i click through to check, it's still in stock. I am seeing the prices come down some, although it worries me a little to see brands i have never heard of.
I don't need any ammo, so at this point its academic.
Also seeing components come back a little... no primers though.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Some movement in the right direction, but nothing to make me pull out the credit card yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ammo I was buying just before this started is still three times the price I was previously paying. So no, I have not seen a price drop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can't tell if it's dropping here, because there still no ammo available on the shelves for sale!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have noticed this as well. At our store in Colorado, for a box of PMC Xtac 5.56 of 20, it was $25. I believe we just recently dropped it to 20. I wish it was cheaper because that is still crazy. I bought 10 boxes of .308 from our store the other day (20 rounds per box) for 19.99/box. I'm surprised because that seems to be cheap considering we have 5.56 at 20 a box as well.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have noticed pricing beginning to drop in the past few weeks as supply has eeked up slightly. It will take a while because people like me will hoard once prices "recover". I stocked up when ammo was cheap (and sold some high) and intend to do it again some day. Ammo is a better investment than a lot of things.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't tell if it's dropping here, because there still no ammo available on the shelves for sale!
Sorry I should have noted.
My observation was all from online retailers and auction sites selling in bulk 500 or 1000rnd lots.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I see a small softening of certain items in the private market but not much and not reliably so. I still continue to see shortages and spikes. I was in two gun stores last week killing time during some auto maintenance. Cabellas was still essentially cleared out of ammo, and I bought the last 4 boxes of 20 gauge an 1 box of 12 gauge Federal slugs at about $2 per shell. The local gun shop had a LOT of guns including semi-autos so their inventory was probably 80%. Ammo was probably at 40% inventory. Lots of mags. Everything still at a premium price however.

So, generally prices are still high and quantities low or non existent for desireable items.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have noticed that Cabelas didn't increase prices online but the availability is non-existant.
They still have 9mm for about $18 a box (50) but they have been out of stock for months.
Last week my wife and I went antique shopping. Suddenly everyone has boxes of ammo at the counter for 3 times the normal price.
All reloads in all calibers. I wouldn't buy anyones reloads unless I was there watching when they were made.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry I should have noted.
My observation was all from online retailers and auction sites selling in bulk 500 or 1000rnd lots.
Trouble is i live in the commie state of NY and online ammo sales are banned here. Our only option is to buy ammo is from our lgs or retail stores.

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
Trouble is i live in the commie state of NY and online ammo sales are banned here. Our only option is to buy ammo is from our lgs or retail stores.
If free to leave, I would never reside in a Commie state.....Of course, to each his own.
Yeah, but look at NYC's crime rate. See, it .......doesn't work......
Perhaps you should look at NYC's crime rate as compared to other cities and you will find that your assumption is incorrect: While you are at it, see where Chicago is ranked as well.....

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
There was & is crime every place .
The more they try to fix it the worse it gets .
That comes from no real punishment for offenders & taking the rights away from people to defend there homes & life .
Beat a dog long enough & you will get bit .

·
Registered
875 Posts
There was & is crime every place .
The more they try to fix it the worse it gets .
That comes from no real punishment for offenders & taking the rights away from people to defend there homes & life .
Beat a dog long enough & you will get bit .
Chicago is getting bit every day, perhaps. What is Kim Fox really worth? Only she and Soros or other unknown influences really know. What a dumpster fire of a person.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, but look at NYC's crime rate. See, it .......doesn't work......
I don't keep up with the City crime rate. In fact i don't pay attention to anything that goes on in the city. I live so far away from the city that there are 4 states closer to the city than i am and i live in NY.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
I saw Geco 115 grain 9mm fmj for $25/50 on line today and it was in stock. The price for Russian steel case is higher. I have a 1k case of 115 grain fmj 9mm Magtech I am considering selling or trading. I found the bill for the ammo I traded for the Glock 44. It cost me $148 shipped. Maybe I should get another G44. Wife likes it. 500 rounds of Minimag 40 grain showed up today. $11/100.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts