price difference

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by VASH1456, Jan 20, 2012.

1. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Is it cheaper to build a AR-15 from scratch? Or buying a complete lower and upper already made and putting it together?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Not really a huge difference either way, if you shop carefully.

The two main advantages of building are:

1) You can get a rifle setup exactly like you want

2) A sense of accomplishment of having built your rifle

Just like buying a car, boat, etc., lots of good deals available, but you can overpay if not careful.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I just made a list of all the parts I would need for an AR 15, 20"barrel, A2 butt, A4 rear sight, and wood furniture. My shopping cart total was $750ish.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You can buy a good basic AR for right at 600 dollars. PSA or s&w 15 sport. And with atleast one have a first class company behind it . You can build one for a less. Then theres allways hopeing you got all the right mix of parts and it runs and shoots as good as you hoped. How about a bit more info ,barrell lenght and purpose, optics or not, stock type. Is it going to be used as just a fun gun or doing a bit of hunting , shooting in some match's.

5. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Hey, im looking to build an AR for under 600 or somewhat close to it, it will be my go-to "SHTF/end of world gun" what do i need to get started?

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

At $600 you are looking at an entry level AR meaning basic optics, foreend, buttstock, etc. Not a bad thing as long as you know that going in and focus your spending on what really matters. In short how to build a mediocre entry level versus an exceptional entry level AR. My opinion, for what it's worth would be to put your money in a quality mid length upper first then build a lower using a good lower and lower parts kit with a good trigger group. Optics, foreends, BUIS and stock can be upgraded and exchanged as funds allow. Don't overlook used quality take off parts and settle for cheap no-name parts. A used Daniel Defense, BCM or Yankee Hill part beats a no-name part from e-bay all day long. If its only a placeholder for what you really want down the road anyway, it will retain some resale value, not a big market for used UTG parts if you catch my drift.

Most of all shop around, lots of links and recommendations on this forum, who knows you may even catch a good deal on an upper if someone is doing an upgrade.

Good luck and have fun.

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The money you save using your own labor to install parts is often spent on specialized tools to do the work. If you are only going to obtain 1 AR-15 and you don't know anyone who can loan you the tools to use, you will probably be better off just buying complete parts. I understand that you will save an 11% Fed. Exise Tax on your rifle if you don't buy the AR upper & lower together at the same time.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'd go w/ a PSA rifle kit and one of their lowers then add a PrimaryArms micro RDS w/ an ADM mount.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

DD mount! F T W!

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Well they sell the PA micro w/ the ADM as a discounted package plus I prefer true cowitness.

Other than that the DD mount is great.

11. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

$600 Sounds to good to be true. I also live in CALIFORNIA But I would be using the AR to hone my skills for a "SHTF SCENARIO" and home/outdoor defense. I already own a .22LR REMINGTON 552 SPEEDMASTER and a REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM,but I REALLY want a AR to COMPLETE THE PACKAGE.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you dont mind building a lower " its really not hard to do " you could buy any one of PSA's rifle kits and a stripped lower and have right around $700 or less in a complete gun from a 16" carbine , 16" mid to a 16" hammer forged dissipator or there 20" hammer forged A2 From $499 to $619 plus a $79 stripped lower will pretty much build you one hell of a nice gun basically it works down to $601 shipped for a reg M4 16" Cl barrel up to $721 shipped for a 16" HF barrel dissipator with MOE furniture or 20" HF A2 rifle for another $10. You will need to buy a mag which can be had used at most pawn shops for $6-$8 and a back up rear sight at $20-$50 .

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

vash1456 S&W does have several cali legal M&P15. The sport with No flash hider and what is called a cali- compliant bullet botton model. Retail is 739 but quality shop pricers are at or under 600 dollars. Darn good shooters too.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I really have no understanding why they make you have the bullet button on them , I mean the mag will go in, it just wont come out , so a person can cram a 30 loaded mag into it and shoot it they just cant take it out without it taking an extra 2 seconds. Glad Im not in Cali , IL is bad enough as it is

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In CA $600 may be too good to be true. Not every vendor ships to CA and you have to be on top of your local regulations. Still you should be able to keep the price down if you do your homework.

Check out the Calguns forum, it will be helpful.

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

purehavoc I saw I think in an older rag an AR that had a real FIXED mag with NO push button. You push the rear pin out and loaded it some bolt rifle with an internal mag. Cali most really suck for gun people.

17. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Yeah the gun laws in California suck. My friend puts a REALLY STRONG MAGNET on his BULLET BUTTON on his AR-15 and now it works just as good as if it didn't have the bullet button. And when he's done at the range he just pulls the magnet off.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Y'know if that's legal he could sell a bunch of them! I assume it's legal since the purpose behind the bullet button is you need a tool to depress it. He can argue the magnet is a tool, which it most certainly is in the physical world (but who knows in the clueless legal world).

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hope he doesn't use any steel cased ammo...:eek::rolleyes: