Pretty sure I'm going to need a 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by aandabooks, Dec 13, 2011.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I finally got out to shoot the RIA and it is going to be expensive to shoot as much as my son and I like to shoot. We generally go through at least two bulk boxes of .22 per month and sometimes more. Add a couple of centerfire handguns in the mix and this is going to get expensive real fast.

I think I might have to pickup a 9mm to offset some of the ammo cost. I was at BPS this evening and noticed that the 250 round boxes were 1/2 the cost in 9mm as .45ACP. Both calibers would still be reloadable if I ever get setup with a reloader.

I did some research on .40S&W polymer framed handguns earlier and then bought the RIA. I'm really thinking about staying with a steel frame for a 9mm.

Anybody want to throw out some suggestions? 1911, maybe a CZ75 or what?

2. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

You'll get too many suggestions for one to be useful. I'll say Glock. He'll say 1911 9mm. He'll say Ruger. He'll say Taurus. He'll say Sig.
    Find a gun store with a range that has a wide selection and go shooting his guns.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

you forgot Springfield Armory XD & XDM :)

I found a local reloader whose ammo ROCKS. picking up 2k rnds for $300. Cleaner and more accurate than commercial.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I have a CZ 75 compact...love it. Beretta 92 or Springer XD (polymer) are a few other nice affordable guns. SIG 226 or Browning HiPower are excellent as well, just a tad more pricey. Have you considered a .22lr topend for your 1911?

[​IMG]

Conversion Kit Adjustable Sights 1911 Government 22 Long Rifle Blue

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

I try not to dwell on regrets, still, there are decisions in my life that I would make differently if I had the chance. The CZ75 is most definitely NOT one I would change. Get thee to the gun store and buy one tout suite.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I have a Colt/Walther 1911 in .22. I'm leaning towards searching out a 1911 in 9mm. A Springfield XD or Ruger SR9 or Stoeger 8000 might be consideration, if I don't want to go up into the $700+ range.

I also recently picked up a Taurus 94 small frame 9 shot .22 revolver. My 11 year old shot it over the weekend and was grouping nicely with it. He's all over with the Colt. The Taurus has the better sights and he was really liking the revolver.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you shoot that much you really should reload. It brimgs the cost of 45acp below cheap factory 9mm. I pay right at 90$ per 500 of 45acp if im remembering right

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Metal framed 9mm? Here's my list based upon price points

$500: CZ 75

$800: Browning Hi Power

$1100: Springfield EMP

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Have you thought about a .22 1911 platform such as the GSG or Sig? If you're concerned about price, you can pick one of those up from $300+ that should keep the price of ammo down. By know means am I straying you away from a bigger caliber, just throwing in my .02

10. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Don't forget about Beretta's either. A solid 92FS platform of any variation is always a good bet. They'll run forever and arn't too badly priced. I'm still shooting my grandfather's 92..

Plus you can choose from an American model or a Italian model, to some it makes all the difference... :rolleyes:

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are so many 9mms out there to consider.

Has anyone mentioned S&W?

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i will throw my opinion in here and this only a suggestion to think about. check out the SA XDm-9mm, reason i suggest this pistol is this, it has interchangeable grip backstraps so that it is adaptable to people with different sized hands, with this option, it would be a good pistol to start your son on a centerfire pistol. i have the XDm in 40 caliber and even my wife likes shooting it too. but like i said it's just a suggestion to give some thought to. good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Stay with RIA-
    RIA 1911 9mm Tactical

[​IMG]

14. Axxe55

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  16. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I think your solution is two fold. No reason not to buy/own another gun. It appears you guys like the 1911 platform, so the RIA in 9mm is a great choice. I would also recommend that you start looking into reloading for 45acp and your new 9mm :D If you are chewing through the ammo, it will pay for itself in no time. It will also give you guys something to do when the range is closed.

17. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

Just remember you can never have to many ( as long as you do not deprive your family to get them ) firearms!

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

CZ 75, BHP, and Sig P226/229 are the three metal framed 9mms I've been most impressed with- well at least for under $1000. As shooters, they're pretty well in the same ballpark...excellent performance for all. Start your investigation with the CZ, as it may leave an extra $300 in your wallet.

Beretta 92 is the other one a lot of people will mention. If you have bigger mitts it'll definitely be worth your consideration. But for me, it really doesn't measure up to the above three.

19. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I am a CZ75 SP-01 fan.

20. Axxe55