Prescription Safety/Impact Glasses??

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by ZeusEcho, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

What brands, lenses, coatings etc do you recommend and can you get them for astigmatism also?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

zenni optical has good prices and selection.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My eye protection (simple safety glasses from Home Depot) go right over my glasses. Why wouldn't that work for you?

One wants protection all around the top and sides to protect from casings getting behind the glasses.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I use my prescription safety glasses from work. They are impact resistant and have the side shields.

5. ZeusEcho

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I tried it and found the view distorted. Don't know if it was just the cheap home depot lenses or the double lenses that caused the issue.

Also I'd rather not wear two pairs of glasses during IDPA or Carbine competitions.

6. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

I shoot with my Oakley sunglasses, not 100% sure but Oakley may fit presciption lenses in their frames.

Badshot

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Oh, competition use. I totally get you wanting the best view possible. Plus, you'll have a greater range of motion with a single set of eyes.

8. ZeusEcho

Yeah sorry i should have specified that. ;)

9. ZeusEcho

Yeah I think they do but not sure about Rx for the astigmatism part, some of the Rxs are limited.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

most eye prescription can be made into a pair of safety glasses, including astigmatism, try a local lenscrafters :)

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I purchased some poly-carbs for work and play.
    Kinda expensive, but I can't afford the alternative.

I have astigmatism. With my shooting style, I had the bifocal area enlarged so the front sights are clear when using a rifle. In my alignment, the front sight is clear and the target is kind of blurry. I try to shoot in center of mass.
    I must be doing okay as last time I was shooting an AR, it was at pieces of clay pigeon at 135 yards and hitting.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. ZeusEcho

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

There are so many options for coatings and stuff I was hoping to get some insight into that as well.

I'll probably just order what sounds like it will be useful for me and let you all know how it turns out.

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Wow, I really like anti-reflective coatings, but only because of how I look to other people through those lenses. If I bought special range glasses, I wouldn't spend the money on anti-reflective coatings. Anti-scratch, however, I'd be all over.

14. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

I have a pair of Oakleys with a Rx including a significant astigmatism. Got mine through Lenscrafters.

15. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

You can get a pair of Wiley X and have your Rx put in them. I really like mine.

16. ZeusEcho

Thanks for all additional suggestions guys.

I haven't had time to order any but after I do I'll follow up with a range report. :D

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Oakley has a set called their "shooting array" that they sell and they do Rx for just about everything. They are rated well above ANSI 87.1 I believe.

http://www.oakley.com/products/2151/5843

Wiley X also does prescriptions and they have a pretty versatile line. Good prices for active or former duty military.

JD

18. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Polycarbonate lenses are made from a similar material as the bulletproof glass in the presidential limousine. One would think they are adequate for shooting. My glasses have Bear anti-reflective coating. I might need sun glasses twice a year. I am outdoors all the time.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  19. TenSpeed

TenSpeed New Member

I have both glasses and contacts. I have a pair of safety glasses that I bought for when I go to he range with my buddy to pop off rounds. All I do is wear my contacts with the safety glasses. It works for me and all told it was only a couple of hundred dollars for my glasses and a 6 month supply of contacts.