Firearms Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now on almost 4 weeks holidays and prepping my Toyota Landcruiser service wise for the 6500klm round trip up and back.

So far have replaced the front wheel bearings and was going to get the discs machined because they had a lip on them but decided to replace the originals with a new set of slotted rotors and new pads for better braking and was also going to replace the rear disc pads but they're in good shape.

Rotated the tyres as well.

So when I pulled the front discs off to replace the front bearings and rotors I found this,

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Don't know what's caused this as I haven't been doing any water crossings off roading as it's that wet now you could bog a duck and I can't get out to spotlight as the cocky's won't let us on as you'd be bogged in about 30 seconds. It's the wettest it's ever been in probably 50+ years and there's water just laying around everywhere and when it rains which seems to be at least 2 times a week the water just runs off.

Anyway I've dropped the 2 fuel filters and will be dropping the oil and oil filter at some stage today and grease the tail and jackshaft along with the front end and that will be the Landcruiser ready.

Next will be loading rounds for the 45/70 and 30/06AI sorting through cleaning gear for them and a myriad of other things that have to be done before heading away about this time next week.

Trip will take about two and a half days 1 way to get there so I'll be putting 2 days of at least 12-13 hours and pulling up in a caravan park for the night roll out the swag on a foldaway bunk and then hot a pub or club for a feed at night, have a few beers and then get back hit the sack, get up the next morning hit the shower and then find a bakery or truck stop grab a feed and a few hits of caffeine and hit the road again.

Once I get up above Cairns in North Queensland heading towards the Cape reception is a hit and miss affair and then your in no man's land communications wise for a week where I'm hunting with a few other blokes.

Sat phone is the only real way to call from up there.

I'll take a heap of pictures while up there so as to tease you Yanks about hunting in God's playground and also do a story with it and hopefully get my PB on a set of really good hooks of 1 of our grunters.

This is the sort of country we'll be hunting in as it's a bit like a parkland type thing but it supports a very healthy population of pigs, feral bulls(scrubbers),wild dogs and feral horses,

Plant Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant Trunk

Plant Tree Natural landscape Trunk Twig

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Land lot

Plant Water Ecoregion Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Relatively flatter terrain, but it looks full of tough shots. I'm assuming that most of the hogs will be taken at <50yds distance, give or take. The .45-70 should do nicely, though.

Never been to Australia, myself. Lots of beautiful country, to be sure. Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep it's better 45/70 country and there is a chance of longer shots where the 30/06 would shine just depends on where the guide is taking me as to what I'll be using rifle wise.

·
Registered
STG-58
46 Posts
Not sure what's up with that strange "parting line" across the face of that rotor. Looks like a casting defect that has always been there(?)

Please don't tell me that you all shoot the wild horses. But hey, it's your country and thus it's your business if ya do...

Anyways, I see flat seemingly easy wheeling but I sure wouldn't want to get stuck 1000 miles out in the middle of nowhere like you guys can.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what's up with that strange "parting line" across the face of that rotor. Looks like a casting defect that has always been there(?)

Please don't tell me that you all shoot the wild horses. But hey, it's your country and thus it's your business if ya do...

Anyways, I see flat seemingly easy wheeling but I sure wouldn't want to get stuck 1000 miles out in the middle of nowhere like you guys can.

1st time I've seen it in those rotors so it's gone as t could be a starting point for a fracture.
The feral horses here in Australia do a lot of damage to the natural flora more so in the high country but even up where I'm going so they're generally shot on sight and in the case of where there's guided hunts for pigs they're used as pig bait,
They can';t be rehomed as they're just feral and breed like flies.

Don't worry where those pictures are taken there's some fairly wild country up in through our Cape area that can see you either bogged or badly damaging your vehicle. There's a particularly bad section further up on what is called the Telegraph Track and there's 1 particular crossing called Gunshot that is particularly brutal,

Gunshot Creek with Camper Trailer!! Patrol & Camper Trailer Gunshot Creek Telegraph Track Cape York - YouTube

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
Hairbear

IMO if your Landcruiser sets for a long time possibly rust formed there? So, I have no idea. Maybe one of our mechanics on here can advise that has done a lot of break work.
Anway wishing you a successful Hunt! But you can have Gunshot Creek. I am use to hunting pigs in Texas. But not wooded like your hunting area. But it looks good! And that is a heck of a trip there. And I thought the 16.5 hour trip to the lease in Texas was bad! :rolleyes:
We will be waiting on your report and pictures. Have fun! (y)

Reactions: ellis36

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hairbear

IMO if your Landcruiser sets for a long time possibly rust formed there? So, I have no idea. Maybe one of our mechanics on here can advise that has done a lot of break work.
Anway wishing you a successful Hunt! But you can have Gunshot Creek. I am use to hunting pigs in Texas. But not wooded like your hunting area. But it looks good! And that is a heck of a trip there. And I thought the 16.5 hour trip to the lease in Texas was bad! :rolleyes:
We will be waiting on your report and pictures. Have fun! (y)

Trouble is that I use my Landcruiser just about every day so it doesn't sit around long for rust to develop on much of any thing. To me it looks like a casting fault more than a crack but as I posted earlier it could become a starting point for a crack to start so instead of finding out the hard way it's just as easy to junk it now and have peace of mind and brakes that work.

Where I live the 4wding can be fairly entertaining as well but at this point in time you can't go anywhere off road as it is the wettest it's ever been according to a couple of old cocky's I've talked to in 50 years plus. My mate and I are planning a pig trip in November out to a place 5 hours from here chasing pigs and the country out that way is fairly flat but with hills but the further West you go the more it flattens out but it is more of that red sandy soil that with a say 50mm if rain turns it into a slop hole.

A few months back at work we had to travel 10 hours West for work out to a place called Broken Hill that was the biggest silver mining operation in Australia way back. It still is a mining town but the country out there is different again and it's also the area where some of the Mad Max movies including the newest 1 coming out has/is being filmed.

This is some of the country out that way which is green now but during Summer temps can reach up into the low 50C range but generally sits in the low to mid 40C's.

Sky Natural landscape Plant Bedrock Horizon

Brown Sky Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt

There's another track just out of Cairns(North Queensland) called the CREB(Cairns Regional Electricity Board) track that is possibly worse than that more so when it rains as it's red mud.

CREB TRACK in the WET! Cape York 2021! The track that leaves hundreds of 4wds STRANDED every year! - YouTube

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
Hairbear,

That road reminds me of the one going to the lease in Texas. There is times especially after a long hard rain we are pretty much stuck at camp for a day or so!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't forget to speak with the pigs to prepare them to be penetrated with a jacketed piece of metal. It's just something to consider. On second thought, forget it.
There will be no consultation of what is appropriate at this stage as it'll be BOOM! SPLAT! thanks for turning up. Heart rate will be booming.

·
Registered
STG-58
46 Posts
I understand - different places have different problems. A pest is a pest and we do much the same here with prairie dogs.

Our wild horses are pretty much runing on federal high-desert space where they're not bothering anyone. That and since horses are tied closely to the history of our country, makes for us having a soft spot for them.

Gotta admit, I hate wheeling deep mud. It eats up the insides of alternators and other places hard to clean. I used to live close to the Rubicon trail and spent most of my time wheeling there. Rockcrawling is hard on gear too, but is so much easier to clean up afterwards. It's also slow and consequently not crazy distance requiring all those spare fuel cans I see you guys carry.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand - different places have different problems. A pest is a pest and we do much the same here with prairie dogs.

Our wild horses are pretty much runing on federal high-desert space where they're not bothering anyone. That and since horses are tied closely to the history of our country, makes for us having a soft spot for them.

Gotta admit, I hate wheeling deep mud. It eats up the insides of alternators and other places hard to clean. I used to live close to the Rubicon trail and spent most of my time wheeling there. Rockcrawling is hard on gear too, but is so much easier to clean up afterwards. It's also slow and consequently not crazy distance requiring all those spare fuel cans I see you guys carry.
Don't worry the horses in our high country are from back in the early days of Australia when cattlemen used to push cattle through feeding them but as things got easier with vehicles and now quad bikes etc the horses were let loose and now we have this feral horse problem where the hooves of the horses are making the ground too hard for the natural flora to come back a as there's some plants that are fairly delicate.

They're just as bad up in through our Northern areas as well eating food for the cattle industry up there much the same as the scrub bulls and water buffalo.
On our West like Western Queensland and Northern Territory and Western Australia camels are also a big threat as they destroy watering points and eat most things.

I don't know if you'd call it a blessing but we have a big variety of game animals here in Australia ranging up from rabbits, hares, foxes, feral cats and dogs, goats, pigs, deer, donkeys, camels, scrub bulls and water buffalo all introduced.

·
Registered
STG-58
46 Posts
Visiting down under had always been a bucket-list item for me, but the way you all were not given any real choice over this pandemic kind of cured that desire. I'm not planning to take the jab as I've had the "coof" and got over it. Maybe things will change in the future. Hope that you all made it through the vax OK. My best friend lost his mom when she got the blood clots..

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Visiting down under had always been a bucket-list item for me, but the way you all were not given any real choice over this pandemic kind of cured that desire. I'm not planning to take the jab as I've had the "coof" and got over it. Maybe things will change in the future. Hope that you all made it through the vax OK. My best friend lost his mom when she got the blood clots..
Yeah basically everybody has had a gutfull of the WuHu Flu and is over it. There's some sort of push to get people to get a 4th jab but I think it's fallen on deaf ears as it's not getting the publicity it was getting when the panic button was 1st hit.
I had 2 jabs and that was it for me as a lot of places wanted proof that you had been jabbed but that has all but gone now as has most of the panic and people are trying to get back to something resembling a "normal" life.

A lot that died from the flu and or the jabs had underlying health problems before the jab so it seems that the jabs elevated health issues and things went downhill from there.
Deaths from the jab and the flu aren't getting reported as much if rarely now as it's not a newsworthy item as now it seems Putin and his tour of the Ukraine is getting more playtime but even that is starting to be less newsworthy unless Putin really starts to ramp up things which he seems to be doing now bringing in conscription for the general population who it seems aren't that keen to fight for Mother Russia.

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Visiting down under had always been a bucket-l ist item for me, but the way you all were not given any real choice over this pandemic kind of cured that desire. I'm not planning to take the jab as I've had the "coof" and got over it. Maybe things will change in the future. Hope that you all made it through the vax OK. My best friend lost his mom when she got the blood clots..
I used to travel to Australia often on business and it is an interesting place just as an Australian would find the U.S. interesting. The good, the bad, and the ugly in both places. It seems Australians definitely believe in a lot of horsepower in their vehicles! If you go get ready for LONG plane rides. You'll also get a real perspective of just how big the Pacific Ocean really is. I could write a book.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts