Prepared to unholster my weapon tonight...

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by feedsasquatch, Dec 4, 2009.

1. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

So I'm driving to a friend's house for a Christmas/birthday party tonight with my family. He lives downtown, in a somewhat shady area known for drug dealers and bums. Well, as soon as I pull up to his house, I see a bum standing at the street corner about 10 car lengths behind me. Its 7pm and very dark mind you. Well, I'm helping my wife and baby get out of the car, keeping aware of where he is. And, he's making a bee-line for us...

Well, he could just be walking down the sidewalk, he could be wanting money, or he could be wanting trouble. How am I supposed to know? I go into condition yellow, and focus all of my mental energy on what's about to happen next.

As he directly approaches my car, I notice that he's looking directly at me. He starts talking and says how he's not a bum... and so on and so forth, still walking towards me. He starts to get way to close for comfort, and I unzip my winter wool jacket, and step between my wife and I, taking a weaver stance. I just stare directly at him, and tell him to tell me what he wants.

He immediately backs up a ways and says he's not looking for trouble, and didn't mean to frighten anyone and just needs some cash. I don't carry cash on me, so I told him sorry...

Man that guy made me po'd. Once he approached 5 feet he could have knifed me if he really wanted to. Well, at least it all went down well, and he was very intimidated by my aggressive body language...

FYI - I carry a Colt Combat Commander 1911 .45 ACP in a Cross-Breed IWB holster. My gun and time at the range makes me confident and comfortable in situations like this...

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Glad it turned out the way it did. Clear head, cognoscente of your surroundings, aggressive and confident; all key to your keeping yourself and family safe.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I woudl agree with Duner. The best thing we can do in that situation is take charge, let the person know we mean business, but NEVER lose our head to the moment.

You did great 'Squatch! Really well done sir. Protected the female and didn't have to pull your weapon.

Kudos to you Sir!

JD

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Well done and a good outcome. :cool:

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My one negative critique would be that you went to condition yellow. If you are carrying you should already be in yellow. For me, the only time I am in white is if I am sleeping. Hanging out watching the football game, I am in yellow. Paranoid? No. AWARE!

6. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Hmmm, is there a condition other than white and yellow besides red? I mean, I'm usually aware of who's around me, and that I'm carrying, I was just acutely aware at the time and paying very careful attention to one particular individual. Maybe that would be condition Orange or something :p I mean, we should always be aware of our surroundings. Tonight, I was so focused I was getting tunnel vision and could feel the adrenaline going through my veins as he approached. I think he saw it in my eyes... Which reminds me, I'm really glad that no else approached by crossing the street and going around the opposite side of my car, because I would have been in trouble...

7. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Yes there is a condition we call "condition brown" that's one of my idiot officers with his head up his butt. :D

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Good job. You did the right things.

9. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

You were ready to do what needed to be done, but everyone walked away. I think that is win no matter where you come from!!!

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Glad it all worked out well. From the sounds of it you handled the situation well and protected your family.

11. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Hey squatch, good for you. Yeah downtown 'Ville can be a little bad in places. Good being aware and good carrying. It is amazing how when it happens, it happens FAST, isn't it? Just AAR yourself, think about what you would have done differently, what would have happened if he had done "x", and apply it in your mindset/ training. But dont let it fool you into thinking every time will be the same (human nature to do so, experiential learning/ confirmatory bias etc). Way to stay cool.

I usually stay in condition turquoise, sometimes fuscia. :cool:

12. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

EXACTLY!!! Just because every bum in louisville to date has asked me for money doesn't mean that in the future that's what they'll do. I've personally come into contact with people that have had friends or family members that have been assaulted or killed in downtown Louisville by random guys... I refuse to be a statistic. I'm not paranoid, just a realist...

13. Dannys_salvage

Dannys_salvage New Member

I thought that condition brown was when you s*** yourself after the fact lol

14. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.

After reading what you wrote I had a couple of concerns that I thought I would bring up to you.
    The part that you mentioned about having to un-zip your jacket being the biggest concern. Have you thought about having some velcro strips put in on the side of a couple of your jackets to make it easier to acess your weapon instead of telling everyone what you are doing when you reach for your zipper.
    I had some velcro installed on a couple of jacket and pants for just this purpose. It works out pretty good. You might look into it.

15. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I don't technically have to unzip my jacket... I just wanted to adopt a very aggressive posture because of how quickly he was walking towards me, and at night... I like my IWB Crossbreed, it only takes a sec to pull my jacket up. But cool idea.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had almost the samething happen to me in a bad part of Tucson. I did not have a shoulder or crossdrawn holsters. So when I reached for my weapon I had to open up my jacket. When I did that I am pretty sure that him and his friends decided (I guess) that I was not easy prey like they had hoped. My wife had already drawn her Sig 220 because she was on the other side of my truck behind cover and did not like the looks we were recieving.

That is when the idea of sewing velcro along the seams of my jacket/pants came to mind. It is pretty handy. Reach as far as you can with your non-gun hand to your gun side and pull the bottom of your jacket up and across.
    Works the same way with your pants for your ankle holster. Makes it SO much easier to pull your weapon with jeans on, instead of having to wear slacks or bell bottoms all the time. Then with me wearing boots (work, cowboy, and lace up's) some times you do not have the room so you can adjust your pant leg width.

Hope all this helps.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I had to go to Louiville for a funeral once. I stopped and got some gas at the wrong place. As soon as I took the hose off two bums were headed for me. I took out my knife when I turned and had it in my hand although not visible. They were aggressively asking for change and had split to the sides of me. I told them firmly that I don't give money away and to leave me alone. They both had beer bottles in their hands, but they backed away and started cursing......so I put the handle back and got gas elsewhere.

I should have been aware of them before I got out...hindsight. I did have a plan once they came near though. It involved gas sploshing,lol.

Louiville can be a tough place, just about anywhere can anymore. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  18. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Good job staying cool. I filled up for gas on Friday in Jackson, MS to start my trip home and immediately I was aware that the potential for danger existed as I saw a "thug" driving a Lexus. This was not the best part of the neighborhood so I was prepared should the need have arised. I'm always relieved that I don't have to pull my weapon but I'm glad it's there when I need it.

19. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I remember when I stopped in Dallas/Ft Worth on my way home when I was discharged from the Army. I stopped to visit a friend of mine and take a break from driving. He asked me where I was and I told him that I was in the south part of town. He told me to get in my truck and drive north and not to stop untill I was past a certain highway. Just glad that nothing happened, but it scared the s*#% out of me. It looked like a nice part of town or so I thought.

20. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Orange! :D