Prefiled permitless carry bill 2018

Discussion in 'Kentucky Gun Forum' started by Ghost1958, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/18RS/BR172/bill.pdf

That is the link where you can download the bill.

I've read it. IF and that is a, huge if, this is the entirety of the bill and what it does, it seems OK.

However I'd caution against jumping to fast to support it .

Last year's NRA written bill was a disaster complete with force of law signs, fines for walking past one and several other anti gun regulations we have never had since statehood.

Just putting it up so Kentuckians can see it and also keep track of any changes slipped into it.

I'm all for permitless cc but I'm not willing to sacrifice any of Kentuckians RTKABA to get it.

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Just a thought. The link you provided is where the current version of that bill will be stored. So, if (when) any changes occur, that link will send you to the new version.

Consider downloading a copy of that bill and store it someplace on your machine. Then check periodically on the government website to see if any amendments or changes have been made since you last downloaded it.

Edit: If the bill wasn't 7 pages long, I'd suggest cutting/pasting the actual text here where the original could be preserved in public. I'll ask Austin if there's a way for us to preserve such documents here for comparison.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017

3. Ghost1958

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

All I can say is, here Missouri we HAVE permitless carry & the castle doctrine, so if you tread on me & I fear for my life, I can kill you !..............

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. Ghost1958

We have prrmitless carry except concealed. Castle, stand your ground, and strong state preemption.

The ccdw covers brass knuckles switch blades etc, and bunch of other deadly weapons. But doing away with the permit will make those legal to carry without one.

More carry open or concealed without the ccdw permit than have it here.
    Still it's an infringement that needs to be repealed in KY.

6. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Just a suggestion, but one that is repeated in many of the concealed carry books and videos on the subject as well as several training systems. It may be unwise to declare publicly that you have previously planned (premeditated) to "kill you" if you cause me to fear for my life.

Your purpose when there is a threat that causes you to fear for your life is "to stop the threat". It may sound nit-picky, but words matter. And in the aftermath of a lethal force encounter, the attorney for the deceased and their family will be searching the world over for anything you may have said to suggest that your actions were premeditated. In the process of "stopping the threat", it is entirely possible that the threat will die. But the avowed purpose of using whatever means are employed should be "to stop the threat".

There are some states, Oklahoma is one and I'm sure Kentucky is also, where a person who is justified in their use of lethal force is immune from both criminal and civil penalties. Ideally, such a person should simply have their lawyer quote the law to the judge and have any case summarily dismissed.

As a practical matter, not all judges agree to this. When (not if) they do not agree, chances are good (but not certain) that a decision by that judge against the defendant would be overturned on appeal. But the cost of all that legal activity will not be small. Any other actions that can be taken by the defendant to make it more difficult for such a lawsuit to be won against them would be prudent. One such action is to avoid statements indicating a premeditated plan "to kill".