preferred action

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by moron88, Jan 2, 2011.

1. moron88

moron88 New Member

i am curious as to what everyone prefers. bolt? revolver? semi? break?

also if you were getting someone a first gun what action/model would it be?

i have shot semi and revolver hand guns as well as lever and break rifles (actually, the break is a combo rifle/shotgun) and i prefer the break partly because that is the one i own (the other 3 were my uncle's) and partly because you have no choice but to take the gun out of shooting position to reload whereas you have several more shots with the other 3.
    if i was shopping for someones first gun it would likely be a break as well but that has nothing to do with the number of rounds per loading, its because they are very simple and easy to clean.

2. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

semi auto for rifles and break action for shotguns, and revolver for pistols. if i were getting someone a first gun it would either a marlin .22 simply because of the reliability or a ruger .22 for the same reason, or i would get a break action 410 shotgun for there first gun, break actions are very easy to maintain and clean, very simple to use and go bang every time you load it.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Revolvers are handguns, pistols are handguns.

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

If I'm shooting comp I use a old bolt action but for plinking, hunting, and everything else I use a semi auto. If I'm hunting frogs or what not I use the bolt action it's the only thing I have that shoot 22 shorts. The only lever action I've seen in 22 was my gramps BSA 22 commertive lever, really nice but I wouldn't dare shoot it.

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Revolver, lever, pump for shotgun

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i prefer semi-auto for rifles and pistols. for shotgun i like side by side or pump. i have one revolver a colt python. 3 bolt guns a rem 700 .308, cz550 458 LOTT, win mod 70 458 winmag. everything ele is semi-auto. some day i will add a colt M16A1 select fire.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. northhike

northhike New Member

Bolt action all the way! Especially for new shooters. Semi-auto can lead to bad habits as we all enjoy rattling off rounds. The simple action of working the bolt or a lever action creates a pause which can be used to readjust and helps to slow down the mind so you think.

Lastly...I like the nostalgia of a bolt or lever. I enjoy working the action and I get a lot less...almost none...F2F's. I think you will find a lot of younger guys like the semi-auto. They play lots of video games and seem to have an affinity with AR/tactical style rifles. Same with hand guns. When I go to the range I see this pattern a lot and the sale of guns seem to be inline with this. Makes me happy...more bolt and levers available for me! ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot depends on what you are shooting at. For long range or precision, the bolt usually wins out. I have several bolt rifles. For quick shooting, the semi auto is popular but slides and levers are quick too. I always liked the levers but just picked up a slide action 22. I had been thinking of getting a lever 22 when I ran into the slide. My defense shotgun is a slide (pump) so I thought it would be good to have both. A lot less recoil with the 22. When I was hunting pheasant, I prefered a double.
    I am a fan of single shot rifles and used to hunt with a Ruger 1A in 06 and a Ruger #3 in 45-70. I never did get to shoot anything with the 45-70 but the 1A took 4 deer. The last deer I shot was with a lever action Savage 99 in 308.

9. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There's something about a nice bolt handle and the feel of ejecting a case and chambering the next round. I kind of agree that bolt action will help teach you to be a good shooter. I learned to hunt with a single-shot BA 22 so I had to make that first round count.

As for the other choices, I like em all. (Great username, BTW)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  10. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I just started shooting last week, and I noticed that I was shooting better with my bolt action than with the semi. But it could have been the gun. I think that the bolt action encourages a new shooter (me) to take more time and concentrate between shots.

11. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I like pretty much all guns and their different actions, so I won't get into handguns and shotguns. Since we're in the rimfire section I'll stick to .22 rifles.
    I'd have to say my favorite action for a .22 is bolt action, even though I don't own a bolt .22 yet. Second place would be my Henry lever action .22, third place goes to my semi Remington 597 that hardly ever leaves the cabinet anymore.

12. moron88

moron88 New Member

first i want to thank every body for their replies and apologize for taking so long to check back in.

i have to say that i agree with this comment but i am also slightly offended by it simply because it is an over-generalization of young shooters (i cant even buy ammo alone because im slightly too young). i would like a semi-auto in my collection but when i look at them (rimfires anyway) i gravitate towards the savage 64f and marlin 60. although, i will grant you that i have been a gun owner since i was 13 (disregard it being a red ryder) and the most tacticool gun i have shot is a 22 pistol.

13. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

I like my .22 lever-action Henry. Working the lever is great fun, and with the tube mag it handles shorts, longs, and LR. Not a target rifle, but is inherently accurate, even with bulk ammo.