precision upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Aug 13, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

looking to build up a precision upper. thinking about using a kreiger 7.7 twist 20" 223 barrel and cant decide on whose upper to use.

considering this from rogtac (one of our vendors)
    Rainier Arms Ultramatch Billet A3 Upper
    http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/upper-receivers/rainier-arms-ultramatch-billet-a3-upper.html

or this:
    VLTOR MUR-1S Upper Receiver w/ Shell Deflector, No Forward Assist
    http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/u...iver-w-shell-deflector-no-forward-assist.html

its kinda ugly but no clue if its got m4 cuts or not. i need the upper to be A3 no m4 cuts

scope would be a possible nightforce benchrest 12-42x havent decided on reticle yet

2. X-mark

X-mark New Member

Of the two choices, only the Rainier Arms A3 is without M4 cuts. Looking forward to seeing this build, whether you use parts from me or not! Keep us posted and let me know if I can help you source some parts.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats been my findings tonite. been webhunting for the last 3 hours. there are some A3 but all low quality. putting in my order to you tonite.

4. X-mark

X-mark New Member

don't forget to use the forum discount code: FT5

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

oh damn i just placed it and didnt do it :( i read the reply too late :(

6. X-mark

X-mark New Member

No problem...I can cancel the order and you can order again, or I can issue you a refund of the discount amount. Let me know which you prefer.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

what's the build for?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Donate it to the nra or goa if you want :) or just keep it as dirty captilistic profit heh. Im all for captilistic profit heh.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Making a precision ar15upper. Been shooting my savage model 10 and cant get past the (its not an ar15 thing). Plus i want to do some league shooting this winter. I think i can putthe old benchrest shooting men to shame with a new fangled ar15. I already shoot better with irons than most of em do with scopes.

Put a good br scope on a quality ar15 upper and open the school room door

10. X-mark

X-mark New Member

Very kind, but I'll go ahead and issue a refund for the discount amount :) After the charge settles tomorrow, I will be able to submit the refund...You can then expect to see it within 15 days or so. Thanks for the order, Jon!

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Nice. I built my STAG for SHTF/EOTW/Zombie work but I was pleasantly surprised when I took her dancing at the 300yd target, going 9/10 on a 10" plate. The next range trip I took her out dancing at 400yds, 10/10 on the plate (had saved the dope setting from previous trip)

The rifle turned out to be a hell of a lot more accurate than I ever intended ;) Now, hopefully this fall I can get my AR10 project plans off the drawing board :D

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thats very kind of you. Thanks :)

You shooting iron sights or scope?? im primarily an iron shooter but im trying to get better at scoped shooting.

Ive got a magpul prs stock that needs a home. I really like it but its just not a good iron sight stock. Got the bcm for ohsht!! I dont have a good distance scoped gun im truly happy with at the ranges i have available to shoot at. My savage is also a ohsht!! Gun both it and the bcm run suppressed.

I just KNOW i can buildup a better gun for under 1k$ minus optics than the ones im seeing at the range i attend.

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

scoped, my eyes are not that good :eek: at 100yds I could probably do the same but not anything further.

I'll be taking the scope off it down the road and putting a red dot on it. if i feel i need one i'll ad a magnifier :)

don't forget ... gives us the gun pron :D

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I will. But i think its going take a bit as im going to order a krieger from them not sure how long its going to take. Krieger is about a 50 mile northwest drive from here in ritchfield wisconsin. I know a stocking dealer for rra lowers and im thinking about going that route as opposed to just hot swapping uppers. But im undecided

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Jon ,
    If your not dead set on the Krieger barrels I would take a look at White Oak Armament barrels . I hear alot of great things from precision shooters on these barrels in the AR application . http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/uppers-match.htm
    Lots to choose from between service , match grade and varmit barrels just take a look

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  16. JonM

JonM Moderator

Kreiger is a local company about 50 miles from me.

im familiar with whiteoak. they use primarily krieger blanks and barrels. if i was making another service rifle or having my current one modified on the rear sight white oak would be doing the work for me except for choice of barrel. might as well get one right from the source :)

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

just talked to the folks at krieger barrels. ordered a 20" .920 varmatch 223wylde 7.7twist stainless bead blast with gasblock. the nice gentleman there said it was a 4-6 week timeframe as the blank was in stock it just needed to be cut and chambered to spec. i will be using a Bravo Company BCG.

just need to find a good round free float handguard.

with all the custom additions and wisconsin salestax its still under the online distributer price at midway

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

any fluting on the barrel?

I actually like the DPMS smooth free float handguard (like the one on my AR10). It's not as rough as RRA's and to me has a cleaner looking appearance/lines

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nah no fluting. Not a huge fan of it. I dont think it adds real value for the risk of possibly ruining the harmonics. I think my savage would be more accurate if it wasnt fluted.

Once the barrel gets here im going to take it over to midwest industries and see what they got in the way of aluminum round tubes.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Since you're obviously planning to spend a of of money on a scope, take a really hard look at Schmidt & Binder, and Ziess/Hensoldt.