precision rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 270 win, Mar 8, 2010.

1. 270 win

270 win New Member

I am looking to buy a fairly cheap precision or " sniper " rifle. The calibers i would like are, 300 wsm, 7mm remington mag, and possibly 300 win mag. I would like to be able to shoot at least 800 yards with this rifle, maximum being 1500. Next I would like to put a grey bull precision scope on it, does anyone have any info on these scopes? For this whole project i would like to keep my total under $2000. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wambli

Wambli Member

Here's my take on Grey Bull. They are selling you a Leupold Custom Shop VX-III. Why not buy the scope from a Leupold rep directly? I built a precision gun for my buddy for about $1000 and it has worked out well. Remingtom 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Bell and Carlson Varmint Medalist stock (action bedded to the stock), Timney trigger and you still have $1,000 left to spend on optics/rings/bases.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Even being the local Remington Fanboy. Your not shooting 1500 yards with a 700 action unless you do lots of work to it.

Building a 1k rifle is not just slapping a stock on a remy700 and puting a fancy scope on it. That may get you some hits on 12x12' target but your not going to do any good with that.

For a long range stick your looking at $1500 +$500 just to make a factory remmy action into a half way decent one for the job. you best bet is going to be get a stiller viper action (based on the 700) then put that into a good mcmillian or SG&Y stock.

gotta leave will post more now.

4. opaww

opaww New Member

For ranges past 1000 yards you will need to go with something with a little more ass behind it. Such as a .338 Lapua mag. Maybe a .416 Rigby/416 Barrett. I heard that they were making the Rem.700 in .338 Lapua Mag now but I have not seen one.

5. 270 win

270 win New Member

Im not planning on shooting much over 1000, i just through 1500yds out there as a once in a while "pot shot". I really like winchester rifles, I'd buy one over a remington any day. What about Savage? I've heard good reviews on there accuracy, shilen makes barrels for the savage, so if i bought a savage in 300 wsm, and through a shilen barrel on it, bedded the action, and had it free floated, do you think this would be a good start?

6. 270 win

270 win New Member

And put a bell and carlson varmint/tactical adjustable stock on it.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Even being the local Remington Fanboy. Your not shooting 1500 yards with a 700 action unless you do lots of work to it.

Building a 1k rifle is not just slapping a stock on a remy700 and puting a fancy scope on it. That may get you some hits on 12x12' target but your not going to do any good with that.

For a long range stick your looking at $1500 +$500 just to make a factory remmy action into a half way decent one for the job. you best bet is going to be get a stiller viper action (based on the 700) then put that into a good mcmillian or SG&Y stock.

Cont.....

OK the amount of work a smith is going to put into any stock action is going to negate the cost of it and push the cost up to that of a custom action that doesn't need the blueprinting job. Also If I were going to use a 700 action for that kind of a gun I sure as heck would have it sleeved. There is where you take and you build a big aluminum sleeve and press the action into it. This creates a stiffer action that can take more abuse maybe but it will be stiffer and that much more accurate.

About the only action or gun your going to get away with and have any kind of accuracy out at 1k yards is going to be the Savage F-class or Palma rifle.

Now on to optics. I have never heard of the company you talk about but if you look at long range optics Leupold and nightforce are great scopes but they are the bottom end of the spectrum. Heck you can get a Sightron SIII that is 1/2 the price and will be clearer and brighter than anything nightforce or leupold can put up against it.

If I were going for a entry F-Class rifle it would be the savage F-tr in 6.5-284 with a SIII SS 10-50X60mm LR TD.

Anymore and you are looking at a custom build all the way.

8. opaww

opaww New Member

9. opaww

opaww New Member

What Tango said.

10. 270 win

270 win New Member

Ok, I've established that I do not want a remington 700 action, for the simple fact that everyone and there dog has one. As far as Howa rifles go, it is very hard to find them here in Alberta, or Canada for that matter. What about weatherby vanguards?

11. 270 win

270 win New Member

Or perhaps a tikka t3 varmint?

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There is a big difference between an 800 yard rifle, and a 1500 yard rifle. I would want to have at least $3200.00 for a 1500 yard rifle. Hell, I'm happy w/ 400..600 yards these days.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If you are wanting to shoot anywhere near 1K yrds,forget about the short magnums. Most long range shots are with heavier bullets 190-220gr and the short magnums weren't made for them.
    There are many calibers that will shoot long range,but to be accurate it takes a lot of practice,time,and money. There are few off the rack guns that would do it with any accuracy,and almost no factory ammo for the chore. Most long range shooters handload their ammo,have custom actions/work to factory ones,and custom barrels for the particular caliber.

Optics are a whole other thing when it comes to long ranges,get the best you can afford.There are few scopes that have the adjustability for long ranges,and most are very expensive. It seems you have a thing for Leupold's,but do a little research and you will find several scopes that are better for less money and several that are way better for a little more.

Do your homework,and you will only spend money once. Check out this sight,and you can find out some good info on long range shooting.

LongRangeHunting.com Online Magazine and Forums

14. Wambli

Wambli Member

Oh, I agree with you 100% but I guess my brain just works on the assumption that most folks who show up asking about a 1,000+ yard gun and want to go cheap have never actually seen, OR for that matter will ever set foot on a 1,000 yards range. Never mind ever hitting anything that far.

It's funny that there seems to be someone here trying to find a cheap long range rig every 5 minutes. None of them seem to understand how freakin' difficult it is to shoot past a few hundred yards accurately (regardless of equipment). None of them talk about the intense training it takes to learn how to either.

So instead of debating them, my recomendation is for a fun plinker that should be MOA or better with store bought match ammo and take you out to 4-500 yards and you can always use it for informal target work or hunting when you figure out you can't even see the targets at the range you asked to shoot at in the first place. :D

Ps. to the original poster, there is a reason "everyone" has Remington actions on long range guns. The military figured out that reason a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago with their M24 and M40s. It is the easiest action to make accurate enough to do what you are asking to do...

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The military uses them because they got them the cheapest. The only things that make a Remington action easer to work on is the fact that it is a round action and it is a tad softer than many other actions.

They would have been much better off to use a model 70 action I believe. But they cost more and well are not that easy to work with as the remmy action. No action is perfect. But there are many much better actions out there than remingtons. There are actions out there based on remington's 700 but blow it out of the water. The Surgon action is one of them.

There are so many remingtons out there because they can pump them out like a the dugars pump out kids.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa action, it is built by Howa for Weatherby with a few very subtle changes and remarketed for Weatherby in their Vanguard line. You are basically getting the same great rifle action.

Nothing wrong with Tikka, except they are owned by Beretta now. I don't think they have as much control over their product, especially R&D, as they had a few years ago. They are still putting out a very good product, but I don't think they are cutting edge anymore. And you are paying some extra dough for the name and the marketing that comes with being under the Beretta Holding Umbrella....

And no, the 700 action is not even close to the best factory action out there. It is very popular because Remington produced them cheap, saturated the market and spend billions on advertising promoting them.

They are popular because everyone can work on them, every possible part or add on is available, practically at your local 7-11, and everyone knows someone who has one and it shoots "one hole all day long".

Now, when the Remington MPD action and stock hit the civilian market, you guys are going to flip your lids because it is that much of a step forward. But right now the only folks getting to play with that masterpiece are the US Military. :(

I can assure you though, Tango will sell his soul to Glock for one of these rifles when he gets a chance to see one up close and personal. :p

17. opaww

opaww New Member

I like my Howa and new scope, so I will stay with it for a while until I hit the lottery then I'll get something else

18. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

In my humble opinion, try a little more money in the pot. My primary long range weapon is a Sako TRG22. Everything on the rifle is adjustable to what fits me, and it's Very accurate to 1000 yds (if I do my part). You can upgrade optics as you progress in experience and find what you truly need. I like US Optics, good clean sight picture and guananteed for life they will take one hell of a beating and keep going. The 338 Lampua is an incredable round the only problem is cost, rounds are expensive(even reloads) barrel life is very short, and it can be hard on the shooter. I thought about all this when I chose a 308 over the 338. My rig cost me about $5000 anyway just some thoughts. snubshooter OUT

19. 270 win

270 win New Member

Ive heard a lot of good things about the 338 lapua, can anyone tell me who makes these rifles, and what kind of recoil to expect?