Precision bolt rifle for around $1500

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by alcott7, Nov 21, 2012.

1. alcott7

alcott7 New Member

Got a little money to burn I'm thinking about .308 or 6.5 creedmoore. I something that can reach out a bit.

2. alcott7

alcott7 New Member

Or build options ?

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

alcott,

If you want a good quality rifle that would run you about $1200-$1300 look at the Remington Tactical Series in the 308. You can see pictures and the complete line on Ables or Impact Guns. And you can probably shop around and save a little money on the rifle of your choice. Good quality and various loads of ammunition is certainly more easily obtained for the 308 vs the Creedmoor. I believe most of them have adjustable triggers in them. But check that out before you buy! Most of the Remington Taciticals listed would also leave you a little bit of change to put toward a good scope which believe it or not, is more of an important decision than the rifle itself. I have a Remington 40X Sniper Rifle which is a little more than you specified budget. But I have shot it many times up to 1000 yards. You will just need to get a 22 Degree Scope Ring mounting base for your rifle if you want to go over 600 yards or more. Otherwise you will not have enough come ups! As we call it! (Elevation) Has no effect at closer ranges either so that is good. I have a Leupold M-1 Long Range Scope on the 40X with Mil-Dots for range estimation along with a Harris Bi-Pod. Good luck on your selection.

4. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Yeah, plenty of choices in that price range. Im partial to savage because of the accutrigger (try it if you never have, amazing) but the rem 700 tactical or rugerr m77 tactical are good choices too.

+10 on the scope budget. If your shooting long range, don't get cheap here. Honestly, you might consider splitting your budget down the middle to make sure you have enough for a quality optic, though I'd say $300-$400 can get you out to 500 yards reliably.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 308 is a great caliber,but if you want to shoot farther than 500-600 yards I'd choose the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 260 Remington. There's a lot of Match grade ammo available for them,but I'd recommend handloading if you want to shoot the best.

I prefer Savage over the Remington 700. I like being able to build a complete custom rifle without the need for a gunsmith.

7. alcott7

alcott7 New Member

I currently have a Remington 700 AAC SD and it was great in the beginning but for some reason only after a year of owning it I am getting rust everywhere even after extensive cleaning after use and now I'm finding rust three days after it has been cleaned and put in case. So on this note I'd like to steer clear of rem for now. So savage or howa would make a better candidate.

8. alcott7

alcott7 New Member

This actually seem really good. But unfortunately I am a left handed shooter stuck in a right hand world. Does howa have left hand models and if not what precision rifle does for a decent price.

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

He's right. I think Savage has cornered the market on LH rifles. Check out their website, you can choose from a list of features, and they will list guns that meet your specs. You can also have Savage put together a custom for you. I did that this year. Pretty nice results, but A total PITA to get there.......

10. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have this Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308. It comes with one 10-round detachable magazine, 1 piece picatinny scope rail and what Savage calls their AccuTrigger and AccuStock. It also has a 24" fluted and threaded heavy barrel.

The glass on top is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Aside from the camo pattern that's not my thing......that's a SWEET rifle.

12. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Thanks!

If you like all black, I have this Savage Model: 10 FCP-K in .223/5.56.

It has a heavy fluted threaded 24" barrel as well.

The glass on this on is a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

alcott,

What kind of a case do you have for your Remington. Can it breathe. You might also try G-96 lube on all parts and throw one of the small desiccant packs in the case. With rust forming in only three days there is a serious problem as you know. Is rust forming in the bore also?
    We also have the Mobile One Synthetic Oil formula listed on the Forum that works well also.

14. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Get the savage palma rifle designed for 1k with 155gr and you can change the bolt face and barrel easy enough www.sharpshootersupply.com can fix you up its a single shot and you can have it dual ported for ease of loading at the bench or in position also go to www.6mmbr.com and go to classifieds they sell allot of guns on there and also have good precision rifle forums they may have some good advice also

15. alcott7

alcott7 New Member

It's a hard metal with foam padding case and I've tried everything from a dehumidifier in the room to silica packs in the case. I did some research and heard that rems paint is no that good( said to be at the level of car primer). I've been told to give my rifle a serious clean and reprint it with products from a company called duracoat. Any thoughts

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The rust problem is being caused by you storing the rifle in the case. Foam rubber is like a sponge,and just soaks up any humidity in the air.
    If you have to store the rifle inside this case,I'd suggest oiling the entire gun,put it in a silicon treated gun sock,and then put the whole thing (rifle) inside a sealed plastic bag.
    Or just take the foam out of the case,and just put the rifle inside a gun sock and set it in the empty case.You can transport a rifle inside a foam lined case,but you shouldn't store one in it.

17. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I case is to protect a firearm from damage while traveling. A safe is made for storage.

You don't cart your gun safe to the range do you? So why would you store your guns in a case?

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree, you're problems stem from storing your rifle in a case. cases are for transportation to and from wherever, not for storage. if security is an issue, then it might be time to think about a gun safe or another alternative.

19. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

Savage has pretty much cornered the market on entry level 1000 yard rifles. The F Class and F/TR rifles they make in .308 are simply amazing. It isn't often you see a bone stock rifle win international competitions against custom built rifles. Savage has done that many times. That was the deciding factor in why I bought a Savage when I wanted a long range gun. Look for something based on the Target AccuTrigger and action. Or you can buy the action alone and build whatever rifle you want around it. Savage is at the head of the class in this area IMO.