Pre-ban SA M1A help

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by jamesb, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Considering picking this up. Need a pre-ban for an EBR chassis if I decided to do one. What's your take on these from this time period? Worth the price instead of buying a brand new one for around the same $$?

Ad below:

SA pre-ban M1A. Less than 500 rounds through it. Brand new sling and cleaning kit. Build date is 10/1990. Was bought brand new in 1991. I am the third owner. My uncle bought it new, sold it to his son and he (my cousin) sold it to me. In excellent condition! Includes: 2x 20 round mags, original stripper clip guide for the receiver and 45 stripper clips. This rifle has a TRW bolt.

Some more cool info. This serial # starts with 060***

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I do not have any experience with that time frame, but I would jump all over it!!! My biggest concern with older rifles is not knowing the condition or history, and you know both. Nice looking rifle!:)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

the older ones are considered a bit better in some circles since back then springfield was using surplus M14's stripping them down then reassembling them into non-FA ones so most of em back then had milspec parts. some people consider the recievers weaker but the M14 M1a M1garand M1carbine were never known for being particular strong so i think its a moot point. they just dont do well over long periods of time shooting very heavy hunting bullets. long as you stay in the 147-168grain range its a non issue.

the older springers tended to be 1:12 twist the new production ones are all 1:10

4. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Yeah, he is friend on the forum. We've bought and sold before. He wants $1,600 for it and will include 140rd battle pack too. I'm tempted.

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Try and talk him down to 1,400 or so. Even if he sticks at 1,600 sounds like a good deal to me