Pre 64 94 rear sight

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by tinbucket, Sep 18, 2016.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

My pre 64 Winchester 94 has rear sight that is cockeyed.
    The blade and sight are to the left of center and the whole sight has been drifted right but still not enough to get it to shoot anywhere near point of aim.
    The gun is in excellent condition with 100% finish or close to it.
    I have been on the internet off an on for a while trying to locate a replacement. So far they are all quezsionable, as to finish etc and pretty expensive.
    First question is there a way to fix this one?
    Second where is a source and does the sight drift in from the left or the right?

2. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Have you checked the front sight? The rear sight is moved in the direction you want the rifle to shoot POI. The front sight is moved in the opposing direction. If for example you move the front sight to the right the POI will move to the Left.:)

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the sight drifts In from the right to the left.
    Ebay always has a selection of these original sights. If you watch and are not in a hurry then you can sometimes get a bargain.

4. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

It appears front sight is centered.
    Rechecked the serial number. It was mad in 1949, if that makes a difference.
    The rear sight is definately on the left of the barrel but the sight is not entirely drifted in, even with it being so far off.
    Has anyone seen a sight shimmed or something that might do this?
    I don't want to take the sight out without a little affirmation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The sights sometimes get bent.

6. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I would check the barrels crown. A damaged crown is common on many older rifles. I would try moving the front sight. Being centered is not always correct. :)A bore sighting device will such as a laser can tell you very fast what your problem is.:)