Prairie Dogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Rick1967, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was watching the news a couple minutes ago. They said that there is a huge Prairie Dog heard near Flagstaff. A construction company is going to start building a commercial complex where the dogs live. Prairie dogs often carry plague or Monkey Pox. Anyway, an environmental group was all upset about the future of the dogs. They decided to trap them and relocate them. The dogs didn't co-operate. But they caught and relocated some of them. They released them into the wild somewhere else. Now the environmental group is all pissed off because some hunters found the relocated prairie dogs and shot them. Call me insensitive. But prairie dogs can be a hazard to humans and livestock. Why would anyone relocate them?

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

To create additional target rich environments! ;)

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am glad that someone responded like that. I was afraid that I was the only one that was going to think this was funny. I almost fell out of my chair trying to tell my son what they said on the news. We both have been wanting to hunt prairie dogs for a couple years now.

4. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a prairie dog town, not a heard.:D
    If they would have named them correctly, prairie rats not dogs the 'do gooders' would not give a hoot!;)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jim is right on target. When I lived in CO, we had very sincere but stupid people that were sponsoring using vacuum trucks to suction the PD's out of their burrows, and relocating them.

They were being relocated to help support a threatened species- the black footed ferret.

Can you guess what the ferrets EAT? :rolleyes:

6. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

First thing I'm gonna do when the barrel comes in and I can finish my 10/22 build is go out and shoot me some prairie dogs! Those things are nothing but a nuisance.

I may also see what a 300 blackout round will do to them as well. Eeek!

7. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

After reading this I took out my 243 Win and burnt through 50 rounds on the local "prairie rats". Take that relocating/do-gooders :D

Just doing my part to eliminate a problem species that has a habit of overbreeding and dying off from disease.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

One of the problems with relocating some animals is that if you relocate a sick one, you've just spread the disease.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Many years ago the Prairie Dog League of Colorado decided to interfere with dog shooters. They traveled to Neb. Mt. Wy. etc. One morning we were shooting on private range land. This was around 1970. There was a fleet of flower covered Volkswagen buses driving out into the our dog town. These long haired marijuana numbed idiots thought we would stop shooting. It seems the down range effect of .22 and .25 center fires are damn scary. They called the Sheriff and reported that we shot at them. The SO arrested all of them for interfering with hunters and trespassing. The Deputy assured them if we had been shooting at them.:eek:

10. dwmiller

I would have loved to have been there sir. Just the thought brings a smile to my face:D

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Thx it was fun. I picked a large rock out in an arroyo near where they were protesting. I lined the heavy barreled 25-06 on the target and touched it off. That 75 grs HP was covering ground at 3,700 fps. When the .25 slammed the rock it sounded like summer lighting. I never knew those Volkswagen buses put out that much black smoke. :D

12. tri70

tri70 New Member

They are a nuisance animals from North Dakota to Texas. You never get rid out them completely. Some ranchers leave their place because it gets overran by them, they climb into feed lofts, create dangerous holes for livestock and will burrow into your plumbing. A very hated critter by anyone that has delt with them.

Oklahoma even allows missiles!

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/small-game-hog-regulations/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

14. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Yeah...I totally want to post something as a reply to this but some people may find it offensive.

15. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

And that is one reason our state is so awesome!!!!

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUe6o6WaOg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPfWb2840eY[/ame]

17. dwmiller

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

OverKill is referring to the protected "White Tail" prairie dog. Utah and some other states are under Federal protection of this species. The Black tail and the Mexican Prairie are not under this act. The "Greens" are pushing for protection using the endangered birds as a tool. The Prairie Dog is a big part of the eagles diet.:(

19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was MUCH younger we had a tractor which ran on propane so we had a 250 gal propane tank mounted on a trailer to refuel the tractor and if the 'rats' got real bad in one of the fields or pastures we would drive through the 'town' and spray liquid propane down the holes. It is heavier than air so it would settle in the holes and asphyxiate the rats. Bear in mind propane was about 8 cents a gallon then.:D
    I always wanted to throw a match in one of the holes and see what would happen but the 'grownups' would not let me.;)
    I guess by todays standards I would be considered a terrorist and the EPA, animal rights groups, and BEATF would ALL be after me!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jim- at work right now, and try to stay off YouTube- but do a Google video search for "rodenator". Uses gas and a spark ignitor.

If you are standing on top of a tunnel when you fire it, the insoles of your boots will bruise your feet!