Prairie Dog Rig

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by brasskicker, Jun 18, 2012.

1. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

I'm going on a cool little prairie dog hunt with my dad this summer. I need a prairie dog rig under 400 dollars and preferably under 350 but if that isn't something that is practical I guess I could find a way to do it. If I don't find anything I'll probably use my 30-06 with brown bear ammo but I don't really want that kind of recoil when I'm shooting all day. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It would only be a rifle but Marlin x7vh in 22-250 would be my choice. Either that or am x7 in 243. You might also be able to find a savage in that range.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Marlin makes a 26" heavy barreled 22-250, the XS7VH that is under $400. i have the same rifle in 308, shoots very accurate.

another option is to look around the pawn shops and gun stores for something used.

4. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Dogs are small critters. You can shoot hundreds of rounds in a big Dog Town. The 30-06 even with light bullets may lack the long range accuracy need to hit these small targets at over 300 yds. The .22 and 6MM caliber rifles with heavy barrels and good scopes of 10X and up are best. Most Dog shooters will have 2 rifles. During the summer months it gets hot on the High Plains. The rifles heat up fast and cool down slow. It is also a good idea to keep loaded ammo in your cooler. Dog populations are down in most Western states due the plague. Don't touch any dead dogs or camp near Dog Towns. Good Luck.:)

5. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had the x7 on my list of possibilities I also would like to know how you think the axis stacks up against the x7. Also anyone have experience with the handi rifle? I was thinking about buying it in .223 and getting a 45-70 barrel later on because I was already planning on buying the 45-70 this summer anyways. I guess I could get the .223 now for dogs and wait on the 45-70. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Good bipods are also needed.....or sand bags.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The x7 will blow the axxis out of the water anyday. Handi rifles are a good gun. If I was you I'd get it in 22-250 or 243. Both has more range and power than the 223 and both are great varmint rounds in their own rights. 243 is also a good deer cartidge

8. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

Well telling by your name I can tell you are a fan already but what makes it better. I completely believe you and have no reason not to I'd just like to hear what you like better about the x7. Also .223 ammo is available in bulk. Is it still a better route to go with 22-250?

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Better stocks, hell of alot better trigger, better riflings so therefore more accurate, you can use any model 70 win scope mounts, pillar bedded factory, better butt pad, better customer service, better/smoother bolt, and it has a cocking indicated in plain sight on the bolt head base. I also think the safety is better located as well.....but that's just me and the fact I have a surgically repaired right wrist. As to ammo-ya bulks good but 22-250 has such a wide range of ammo choices-espcially to a reloader-that it makes up for it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

Thanks for your input. Very helpful!

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome. All things iv said are personal opinions formed from personal and professional experience. Hope it helps you.

12. Axxe55

i think the X7 has an edge over the Axis in a little better trigger, stiffer stock, due to it having a blind magazine vs. a DM, and with the fact you are wanting a varmint rifle, the longer heavier barrel in 22-250 is perfect. top it with a good scope, premium ammo and it's good to go.

i have shot several Axis in different calibers and they are very good rifles, but comparing them to my Marlins, iIMO, the Marlin is a little bitt better rifle.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Little bit? Little bit????? Axxe I'm ashamed of your savage loving ways:( ;) might just insult me enough I tell you to shove your rifle build if you keep this crap up;)

14. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

The 22-250 Rem barrel will heat up much faster than the 223 Rem rifles. There is no point in have a longer rang , flatter shooting bullet unless it is very accurate when going after prairie dogs. There can be a lot of shots within 300 yards so the 223 Rem rifle will do, but try to get ammo that will shoot 3/4 inch five shot or better 100 yard groups. The 223 ammo cost less than the 22-250 . Its eazy to shoot 200 rounds in a day or ten boxes. That is one reason why I reload ammo plus I can develope more accurate ammo for each rifle. I dont know any thing about the brands of rifles you are looking at.

15. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

My uncle started dog hunting a number of years ago with my dad. I was going to start going with them but they arent going this year, but they both take 3 rifles and a pile of ammo. The rifles are 22-250, .223, a secondary .223 for my dad and my uncle has a secondary 22-250. All reloaded ammo and all shots at a 100 yards practically stack up on one another.

They tell me it is loads of fun, and best of lil to you when you go.

16. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I have shot thousands and thousands of grass rats with the .222. The "triple duece" is going to give you 3000 fps with a 50 gr pill with lots less powder than a .22-250. You will be roughly comparing 25 grains in the .222 with 40 grains in the .22-250 using the same 50 gr bullet.

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I prefer to shoot a 223 for prairie dogs over the 22-250.It's cheaper to shoot all day,plus you can shoot heavier bullets if you really want to get out there.
    We shot countless prairie dogs on our hunt last year in Dalhart,Tx,and we used 22lr,22WMR,204,223,22-250,243,and 25/06 caliber rifles.Most of our shots were between 50-200yds,with plenty that were up to 400yds.

A Handi-rifle,Marlin,or Savage will fill your needs just fine,just put some good glass and mounts on top of it.Your eyes will thank you after looking thru it all day.
    I prefer the Savage model 10 or 12 series rifles over the Axis or Marlin,but your not going to get one in the price range your looking to spend.

18. Axxe55

WC, i agree, the 222 would be an ideal varmint caliber. the problem i see is availability. other than maybe TC offering a barrel for the Contender, i am not aware of any current offerings in rifles at this time. might if luck was on a persons side, might find one used. i have seen the ballistics on the 222, very nice little round, with very mild if any recoil. very good suggestion if he could find one.

19. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

A .22 lr in a nice configuration with a good scope and barrel can easily take shots out to 200 yards with ease an a skilled marksman can push it a lot farther then that. I c no reason why a .22 bullet couldn't cure ure prarie dog fever and not break you're bank as well

20. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

223 over 22-250 simply due to the reduced barrel life of the 250.

My dog rig is a Howa 223 24" bull bbl with a Leupold 6-18x40 target. I'd love to run the 36gr Barnes Varmint grenades, but I'd have to take a second mortgage to afford it. Ill likely just load sierra blitzkings.