PPU 380 is junk!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Nun, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Nun

Nun New Member

Bought some PPU 380 ammo $14.99 for a box of 50 at Cabelas. About every 6th round was a short strike.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Short strike? please explain. I use PPU(prvi) in .32acp, .380, 6.5x55, and 8x57.

3. Nun

Nun New Member

I pull the trigger nothing. There is a dent in the primmer. The second time it fires. I was shooting it out of my BG380. Remmington and winchester shot fine. Maybe short strike wasnt a good discription.

4. jpattersonnh

Contact them. Have you had this issue with other manufacturers ammo?
    The only issue I've had w/ any of their ammo is I find their 196gr 8x57 is grossly underpowered.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

That sounds more like a gun problem to me...

Have you tried other ammo?

6. Nun

Nun New Member

Shot 50 remmingtons and 25 winchester no problems. Shot 50 PPUs and about every 6th shot didnt fire on the first pull. This is a new gun.

7. jpattersonnh

New or not, a light strike is normally the gun. Did you completely break it down and get all the grease out of it? It is cold out here. Grease gets pretty hard. What do you lube with?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. Nun

Nun New Member

I cleaned gun good before I took it out. I use Hoppes oil and a little grease on the rail. Temp was about 50*f. I had no ploblems with the other two brands. I bought it because it was cheap. I did a search and found other people with the same problem. I have another box I will try later. Maybe it was just that one. Stay tuned.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Take some fired casings from the reliable ammo your shooting, compare the primer strikes to casings from the fired ammo (not the failed rounds) of the brand your having trouble with.

If the one your having trouble with has a shallower dent in the primer, even fired, than the reliable ammo has, then it very well could be just slightly harder than normal primers.

Easy fix. Heavier firing pin spring, or avoid that brand of ammo.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Light indent misfire is the term you are looking for. Hard primers can be the cause, but a gun that will not fire EVERY commercially loaded round is defective (IMHO). If you have problems with the PPU, you will have problems with Speer ammo. Their primers are especially hard. Remington has soft primers. Winchester has middle of the road hardness primers.

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

sounds to me like an issue with the firing pin and/or a spring and not the ammo.

12. BG380

BG380 New Member

Same problem

New S&W BG 380, shot 50 rds of PPU with 1 FTF. Shot 6 Speer Gold Dot okay.
    Compared 3 casings each. Speer nice deep hit in the primer. PPU all light strikes. Measured all casings down to .0005" in and out of the gun. All important measurements are the same. My conclusion was it is the hardness of the primer enclosure. The hammer swings onto the firing pin but does not have enough travel to apply force indirectly to the primer. The force imparted by the hammer must "throw" the firing pin against the primer with enough force to cause an a good indent.

A heavier firing pin or stronger hammer spring (as pointed out) will fix it. I just bought 500rds of PPU so I guess its now plinking ammo.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

AMEN!

Your weapon should fire all rounds, including hard primer military ammo. You have a weak hammer spring. Betcha they'll gladly replace it for ya!:)

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Way to revive an old thread.

15. Nun

Nun New Member

Still think its junk. That has been the only brand that has done it.

16. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Lol thats funny

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Nun

The guys are correct. By all indications it is the gun. The firing pin, weaker spring or tolerance of the firing pin travel is different on it that is my bet. Shoot one or two of your good rounds through it. And then two of the bad ones that will fire. Then compare the depth of the firing pin strike in the primers. If it is that much of an issue you can probably visually tell the difference just by looking. The bad rounds should have a shallower strike caused by the primers being a little or a lot harder, or one of the above issues. The good rounds should have a deeper strike on the primer. A gunsmith can fix this for you very easily. I do not know what kind of customer service the company itself has. But if they in the USA or have a service center I would contact them regarding the problem first. Only some ideas and things to diagnose the problem as the others have hit it dead on also.:)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  18. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Most guns will favor one brand or loading more than the others, doesnt mean its junk. Your uneducated oppinion on the other hand.... ive never had any issue with prvi, best ive ever used, far better than Remington.

19. Nun

Nun New Member

No I do not have a degree in "ammology" but I do know this I have now shot about 400-500 rounds threw this pistol of varous brands and the only one I have had issues with was the PPU. Friends have also had problems with other calibers of PPU. Do a search and you will find many others with similar issues. I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings and I appericate the folks who have tried to help in this post. I do agree that many guns function better with certain brand ammos. If it works for you then great. I prefer to buy American made stuff when I can anyway.