PPC BUG Match

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by partdeux, Feb 23, 2020.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Bug - aka Back up gun

Started to give people an opportunity to shoot their small carry guns. I carry my XDM 3.8 (too big) and my PPC comp gun is a modified 5.25.

I've shot my LCP, and damn that ugly. Last year I shot my wife's Bersa Thunder. I HATE HATE HATE that firearm. This year I shot my wife's 327 LCR.

PPC portion with my XDM, shot a decent 547,

BUG portion, keep in mind I have shot this firearm ONCE, and that was to make sure the laser sight was properly aligned. First round did ok, not great, but ok. struggled with reload, 10 rounds in 20 seconds. They don't make a true spring loader for this firearm, but my experience with revolver reloading showed. Failed to get two shots off. 2nd card, improved substantially. Then came the low light (lights out). I was impressed at this point. That green laser I installed was AWESOME. Still stuggled with reload, but got all 5 shots off.

I may use this in next years bug match again, but I will mark the cylinders AND speed loaders so I can align the empty chamber.

It's an eye opening exercise for people that carry small firearms and never shoot them. It's one thing to shoot a comp gun, completely different to shoot 3" or smaller barrel.

Side note, I was sharing my experience to a friend that was retired sheriff's officer. He talked about an officer that had never shot in low light and apparently barely qualified every year (qualification shoot is so easy stevie wonder can actually pass). In the middle of a dark shoot house, after she discharged her firearm, she threw it down and left the shoot house. Not only did she not have much experience with shooting, the flash scared her so much, she thought her firearm had "blown up". It was a frightening moment to the training team.

JTJ and Rifling82 like this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a 38 snub that was ported. I shot it on a darkened range :eek: and got rid of it.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder what my 10mm would look like on a dark range :)