Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
00 Buckshot is a popular round for home defense, at least according to many personal accounts I have read over the years. I picked up a box of "Remington Magnum Buckshot" today and noticed that Black Bear was on the recommended game list. It seems odd that one can go after a bear with a shotgun, so I was wondering if anybody has tried. Would I kill the bear, or really piss it off?

Here are the statistics on the box:
12 Gauge
3 Length
1225 FPS
15 Pellets
00BK

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very large grizzlies have been killed with .22RF.

The key to killing large game with buckshot is to get close enough to ensure that all the pellets impact the kill-zone.

Each pellet packs about the same "killing power" as a round from a .32ACP.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I teach combat shotgun for a local company

and we start the firing portion by shooting the rifle range "gong" at 100 yards with "double aught". Pretty impressive for people who haven't worked with a shotgun much.

There is no animal on this continent that cannot be killed with buck shot, but it would not be my choice on big game. As a last ditch defense against bear, it would work well. But I would sure be praying for a slug or two in that shotgun magazine!!

:D

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
OO buck

Magnum in a shotgun is not the same as magnum in a handgun or rifle. Magnum in a shotgun refers to payload, not velocity. A magnum shotgun round has a heavier payload (more shot) than a standard load

OO buck in a 12 ga pump shotgun is the weapon of choice for professional hunting guides when searching for wounded lions in heavy cover. If they trust their lives to it in that extreme circumstance, I will trust it to do the job on two legged vermin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts