Power-Grid Experiment

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Pulled from another forum; but, the original is MSNBC. Any thoughts on this issue? Need to read the entire article, it is almost they do not care, as usual!

Power-grid experiment could confuse electric clocks

Power-grid experiment could confuse clocks - Technology & science - Innovation - msnbc.com

A yearlong experiment with America's electric grid could mess up traffic lights, security systems and some computers — and make plug-in clocks and appliances like programmable coffeemakers run up to 20 minutes fast.

"A lot of people are going to have things break and they're not going to know why," said Demetrios Matsakis, head of the time service department at the U.S. Naval Observatory, one of two official timekeeping agencies in the federal government.

2. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

I'm more wondering why we need 1 let alone 2 timekeeping agencies at the federal level. Would time stop if we eliminated those departments? What on earth do they do? How much does it cost us to have them around?

3. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Cheaper devices without its own clock can use the powerline frequency as a crude tick timer. Changing the frequency will cause those devices to run differently. Other devices might use an internal oscillator (a crystal clock, for example) and are not affected the same way.

Having accurate time is deadly important for all sorts of stuff. GPS, for one, requires accurate time. All those positioning systems in aircraft, civilian and military, need accurate time. The stock market needs subsecond accuracy. Heck, even SSL secure transactions between your browser and email client requires good time :)

4. freefall

freefall New Member

About 10 months after we built this house, with all new appliances, the main blower motor in the furnace and the motor of the clothes washer burned out within a few days of each other. The power company denied any responsibility or unusual events. Wonder how many things will burn out from this? Possibly this is a plan to stimulate the economy by forcing consumer spending? To bad nothing is made in America.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This is difficult for me to underrstand as when you couple two generating sources together, if the frequencies aren't matched, one tends to try to drive or motorize the other after it acquires all the load that both sources should be sharing. Operating sources in parallel and allowing the frequency to fluctuate would, in my humble opinion; cause damage to the generating sources, stress circuit control systems and devices and is generally a really bad idea!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

They can't just leave sh!t alone.....:confused:

7. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Won't last long if they do decide to try it. To many large corp. have everything based off of the 60 hz in America. Data centers, Cell towers, ect. if they go messing with the hz then the equipment would drop out and not work. Even the generators for such places operate ant 60 hz even though with the larger on you can adjust them. I think if they would try this there would be lawsuits piling up fast.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

These data centers and cell towers and large corporate severs usually are using power line conditioners for this equipment which "cleans" the power from the line and among other things keeps current frequency at 60 htz.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Gotta love when Uncle Sammy's cronies starts "experimenting" with things we all depend on. :rolleyes: Way to spend my tax dollars jackoffs!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well, I guess the upside is that daylight saving time may be a wash....... :D

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Any thing that deals with a network infrastructure is on a battery back up that is also a conditional and surge protector. I know my building has a build in surge protector. We have red, blue, and white outlets in the rooms. Red is emergency and will have power from the generator blue are power conditioned and white is normal.

Plus I don't know about anyone else but there is a range that is used like 55 to 65 Hz if it is anywhere in that range you are fine. Out side of that causes power with electric stuff.