Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
16,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was Bs,n with old friend and he said that "Powdered sugar" was used in the powder mix for a more uniform burn !

True or False ?:confused:

·
Registered
665 Posts
dango said:
I was Bs,n with old friend and he said that "Powdered sugar" was used in the powder mix for a more uniform burn !

True or False ?:confused:
What powder?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Black powder I assume.

While I am far from an expert in the field of muzzle loading, I don't imagine suger ignites all that well, I also don't imagine anything short of an act of God removing burnt sugar from your bore.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you read about recipes for making black powder and testing done on those recipes you will find that yes sugar can be used.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Back in the 18th century, sugar was way to valuable to make rum from. I've never heard of using powdered sugar in black powder for any reason.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had to check this one out. Actually, sugar was a common ingredient in black powder.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Let's go ahead and nix this thread now. Anybody making their own explosive compounds at home has either

a) an education how to do it,
or
b) s*** for brains.

You'll blow your damn face off. Seriously.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I believe the powder called "triple seven" uses sugar in their formula.

·
Banned
16,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one is really out my expertise and NO, my name ain't "Abdula" or nothin..!
Just BS,n is all ,and I'd never heard of this ..! OK..! m :)

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Let's go ahead and nix this thread now. Anybody making their own explosive compounds at home has either

a) an education how to do it,
or
b) s*** for brains.

You'll blow your damn face off. Seriously.
Nobody is discussing making explosives :confused:
Adding "stuff" when shooting BP is very common---
BTW- Don't think it's up to you to decide whats "nixed"---

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Black powder recipes are like cookie recipes. There are hundreds and most are good.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just as a matter of interest: Sugar burns right smartly in the presence of carbon. (Carbon is a catalyst in this situation). Try rubbing some cigarette ash on a sugar cube and lighting it. Won't explode, but will burn. I can visuallize powdered sugar adding some energy to the mix. Don't know for sure tho'.

·
Registered
665 Posts
HOSSFLY said:
Nobody is discussing making explosives :confused:
Adding "stuff" when shooting BP is very common---
BTW- Don't think it's up to you to decide whats "nixed"---
My bad. Maybe jumped to conclusions too early? Apologies.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There was a power that used Vitamin C in the mix IIRC to propel the bullet. Guess you'd have to google it. Sugar, on the other hand, would leave a mess if you burned it with a mix of black powder in your barrel. At least I'd not do it.

P.S.
Ok, just looked it up, it's called Golden Powder and was a black powder sub.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
They are just substituting sugar for sulfur & that is going to make a hellofa mess in your barrel, you can make it with out the sugar or sulfur & it would just take a hotter spark to set it off, the amount of sulfur raises or lowers the ignition point of the black powder...............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don`t believe everything you hear or read, Black powder is fairly safe & easy to make. (Just be Careful)
A good standard black powder:..100 parts saltpeter + 18 parts coal + 16 parts sulfur..................

http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html

And there is no sugar in it..............
A long time ago I was considering making my own powder, and found myself a recipe (before the days of google). One of the ingredients was a quart of stale urine. I ventured on to other pursuits.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts