Powdered sugar ?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by dango, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was Bs,n with old friend and he said that "Powdered sugar" was used in the powder mix for a more uniform burn !

True or False ?:confused:

2. hoovco

hoovco New Member

What powder?

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Black powder I assume.

While I am far from an expert in the field of muzzle loading, I don't imagine suger ignites all that well, I also don't imagine anything short of an act of God removing burnt sugar from your bore.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you read about recipes for making black powder and testing done on those recipes you will find that yes sugar can be used.

6. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Back in the 18th century, sugar was way to valuable to make rum from. I've never heard of using powdered sugar in black powder for any reason.

7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I had to check this one out. Actually, sugar was a common ingredient in black powder.

8. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Let's go ahead and nix this thread now. Anybody making their own explosive compounds at home has either

a) an education how to do it,
    or
    b) s*** for brains.

You'll blow your damn face off. Seriously.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I believe the powder called "triple seven" uses sugar in their formula.

10. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This one is really out my expertise and NO, my name ain't "Abdula" or nothin..!
    Just BS,n is all ,and I'd never heard of this ..! OK..! m :)

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nobody is discussing making explosives :confused:
    Adding "stuff" when shooting BP is very common---
    BTW- Don't think it's up to you to decide whats "nixed"---

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Don`t believe everything you hear or read, Black powder is fairly safe & easy to make. (Just be Careful)
    A good standard black powder:..100 parts saltpeter + 18 parts coal + 16 parts sulfur..................

http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html

And there is no sugar in it..............

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Black powder recipes are like cookie recipes. There are hundreds and most are good.

14. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Just as a matter of interest: Sugar burns right smartly in the presence of carbon. (Carbon is a catalyst in this situation). Try rubbing some cigarette ash on a sugar cube and lighting it. Won't explode, but will burn. I can visuallize powdered sugar adding some energy to the mix. Don't know for sure tho'.

15. hoovco

hoovco New Member

My bad. Maybe jumped to conclusions too early? Apologies.

16. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

There was a power that used Vitamin C in the mix IIRC to propel the bullet. Guess you'd have to google it. Sugar, on the other hand, would leave a mess if you burned it with a mix of black powder in your barrel. At least I'd not do it.

P.S.
    Ok, just looked it up, it's called Golden Powder and was a black powder sub.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They are just substituting sugar for sulfur & that is going to make a hellofa mess in your barrel, you can make it with out the sugar or sulfur & it would just take a hotter spark to set it off, the amount of sulfur raises or lowers the ignition point of the black powder...............

19. skip

skip New Member

A long time ago I was considering making my own powder, and found myself a recipe (before the days of google). One of the ingredients was a quart of stale urine. I ventured on to other pursuits.