Powder scale help.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ruzai, May 2, 2010.

1. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I'm looking for a quality measuring scale for my powder. I got the balancing beam from LEE in my reloading press kit but everytime I try and use it, it doesnt seem to be too consistant. It cant seem to get the thing to actually zero. Once it actually does get onto the zero mark if you remove the empty pan and put it back on (still empty), 80% of the time it wont go back to the zero mark. What the hell? There's not drafts in my room and its on a sturdy level surface.
    I dont know if its me or if its the scale or something else thats causing it to be inconsistant. Is there perhaps a better scale I could use for precise loading?
    I have a digital scale on the way from Midway USA, but I want a scale that I can rely on to be accurate every time to a +/- 0.1 grain and not need batteries.

Any suggestions?

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Which digital scale did you get?

Digital scales are very accurate to within 1/10th of a grain. How ever with both scales even breathing on them can cause them to be off so make sure they are out of your breathing area.

My digital scale sits back far enough so I don't breath on it but yet lets me see the LED

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I had to get rid of my Lee scale because of the same reason, not very consistent. I bought a RCBS 505 which is manufactured by Ohaus and is very accurate and does not drift. You should be able to buy this scale for around $65.00.

4. photopro

photopro New Member

Powder Scale

I have a Lyman 1200 DPS 3 which I haven't used in anger yet, however several mates have the same and they think they are the muts nuts, that's good by the way for all you Yankie doodles. Manual scales are OK but realistically the new electronic digital scales are unbeatable.

photopro

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Look on Ebay.You can get a nice used RCBS or other brand beam scale for a good price. I bought a nice used RCBS 505 scale for $20.

The Lee scale I have is right on,but the air off your hand movement will make it keep moving.They are very sensitive.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife gave me an RCBS 10-10 scale for Christmas the year before last. Awesome scale. It is not digital. I believe it was rather pricey though. It lists for $146.00 on Midwayusa.com. I would not have bought it myself. But now that I have it, I feel it was worth every penny.

7. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I baught the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digial powder scale. From the reviews on midwayusa it seems to be fairly good scale. I want a different beam scale so I can check it against the DS-750 every 20 or so loads. I also want it for those times I want to do very accurate loads.

I tried for over an hour to zero the LEE beam scale last night, it never did what its supposed to. I hear both the 502 and 505 RCBS scales are great and are easy to read. I was thinking of replacing this LEE one with one of the 505 or 502s. One problem I have with the Lee is that its not easy to read like the RCBS ones.
    I really dont want to spend more than $100 on a beam scale unless I really have to.

8. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Ruzai, I have two balance beam scales, one that is over 50 years old and a new Ohaus 10-10. On the 50 year old scale (a Pacific) I need to make sure the knife edges on the pivot / balance point are kept sharp, no burs and that there is no dust, dirt or crud where the Knife edges rest in the scale frame. I will ocassionally clean that area with a solvent like acetone on a Qtip. If that area is clean and there are no burs on the knife edge I get very good repeatability; you might want to try that on your Lee scale. I use a 3/8 in. square by 4 in. long hard Arkansas hone to dress the knife edges.

9. marlas1too

marlas1too New Member

if all else fails go to a head shop and buy a digital scale that does both grams and grains i have one and its great

10. 375shooter

375shooter New Member

I have a RCBS 505, which has worked well for the weighing of thousands of rounds of ammo. In my experience it an excellent scale for the money. It's very consistent.

11. m72law

m72law New Member

the first thing i did when i got my lee reloading kit years ago was throw the scale away!...it is just like you described...digital is the best way to go when reloading...frankford is good products...i bought my cabelas brand digi scale over 10years ago and it still works as good as it did the day i got it...happy reloading:D

12. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Hi, yeah i got a Lyman balance beam scale and the graduations on it are kind of misleading as to exactly where you are at, so I bought a RCBS digital scale and use it for my final cartridge charge but check between the 2 scales after about every 10 rounds.
    I trust my eyes more than the digital scale but it has proven very accurate, better safe than sorry!!!

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The RCBS/Ohus 10-10 or 505 are both greats scales. You can find the older Lyman 10-10 scales on ebay for less than RCBS or Ohus. They are ugly but cheaper and exactly the same scale.

I have a very nice PACT BBKII that sits in the box because the load sensor went belly up after 1 year. It was out of warranty and the load cell is not covered at all on digital scales. I would stick with a beam scale and call it a day.

14. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Havent got my digital scale yet, so we'll see how that works. The next $100 I get is going toward an RCBS scale and a few more bullets.
    My MidwayUSA package isnt here yet, but it should be here tomorrow or friday. I just got 700 45acp brass shells in the mail today. Its like Christmas in May this week. :D

I read on a different forum someone said "if the digital scale is good enough for the drug dealers then it ought to be good enough for me". I kind of agree, but I still want to check my loads with the beam scale to speed up the process rather than weigh each load on a beam scale.

15. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Depending on how far off zero the scale reads after you replace the pan, you might want to look at your light source. I have read in the Sierra manual (#14 I think) that the magnetic fields created by flourescent lights can affect the scale. That's if you use flourescent lights near your reloading bench of course. I guess any magnetic field close to the scale might do the same thing (TV, electric motor, etc.) If none of those things are near by then maybe a new scale is in order.

I still prefer beam scales for consistency and use an RCBS 505.

Good luck.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Yes florescent lights can affect DIGITAL scales, and they do as do cell phones and cordless phones as well. I would be reloading with my PACT and get a cell call and it would freak out showing all sorts of numbers and even a few letters.

17. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

The fields also screw with balance scales. Radio frequency intereference with the digital readout must be interesting. I know cell phones mess up the radar in my cruiser. Ten seconds before the phone rings the readout goes nutty.

18. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Didnt know the magnetic fields messed with scales. I use florescent lights, but none of them are close to my bench. I listen to TV while I reload a large batch, so I guess I better start weighing with the digital scale on the other side of the bench. The Frankford Arsenal digial scale works within a -/+ 0.2 grain accuracy. Its alright for my target loads to help with my aiming and speed drills but I need the RCBS 505 for when I need something very fine.
    So far, I've loaded 2 large batches for both my 45acp guns and currently waiting on the chance to go check how they perform.
    You can trickle charge on the Frankford scale decently, it takes a second but its decent for the money you spend on it.

19. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

This is what I use. I don't think you can beat it. The next powder charge is always ready and waiting on you.

20. zombie

zombie New Member

I ordered an RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale along with the Lee Anniversary kit and I'm just soo glad that I did! I couldn't for the life of me get that beam scale that came with the kit to setup right, and at the frequency I weigh my charges it would have driven me insane to use that thing. A digital scale is well worth the investment!