Powder Measure Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by RustyShackleford101, Mar 5, 2014.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Hey guys. I'm making the step from a single stage press and getting into a turret press. I've got a Lee Classic Turret Press. It works great, but I'd like to speed the process up a little bit. I would like to get a power measure. I don't know a whole lot about them. I need one that can attach to the turret and preferably clear the Lee safety prime. I load from 9x18 mak up to 45-70, so I'd need one that can handle most cartridges and meter all powders consistently. I know this sounds like exacting criteria, but thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would recommend either a Redding or an RCBS. Don't know if you'd need an adapter though.

3. Shade

Shade New Member

I concur on the Redding or RCBS. I have tried the Lee measure not a very
    good unit. Lee is always on the lower end of the price range, some of their
    stuff is a great value, some not so much. I use my standard RCBS with
    great success, I am planning on purchasing their precision units down the
    road. Used a friend's Redding, just as good as the RCBS.

4. msup752

msup752 New Member

I use a redding universal match powder drop. It is my favorite reloading device by far. Before I got it, I was using scales for each load or dippers. It handles the smallest to largest powder drops. I have only had to replace the plastic tube that holds the powder after a decade of use.
    I also have lee powder through dies. The green plastic funnel of the powder drop fits in them but other than that, I can't say as I do not have a turret press. Single stage all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

I use a Lyman #55 and its never gave me any problems but I have never mounted it in a turrent either.

6. locutus

The Lyman 55 is an excellent measure.

7. RustyShackleford101

An RCBS and Lyman measure I've seen look like they could thread right on a press. Even if I can't use the safety prime, I guess I could just hand prime. Would the revolutions of the turret have any detrimental affect on the consistency of these measures?

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have an RCBS powder measure. Top notch product. It will screw right into your press.

9. locutus

"Cycle it 10-12 times before charging cases and the cycling of the turret shouldn't have any effect on the throw weight.

10. RustyShackleford101

Would a measure have any problem clearing dies?