Powder marks and Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Mouser, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I have numerous SS guns and love to shoot them. I do not love to clean the powder residue off of them....generally, I use standard cleaning supplies like solvent, gun oil and lots of elbow grease...

What do you use and is there a "miracle" solvent that takes the residue off easily?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The lead removal cloth does a good job.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Don't know what kind of guns you're shooting, but something I did with a stainless steel revolver...

The powder rings on the front of the cylinder! Gawd they're ugly. I cut a small disc out of a corrugated cardboard box and slapped it on a dremel. Using a very light touch and low RPMs, those powder rings buffed right off. I wouldn't think this would erode enough material to be a concern, as I did this enough to use up around 30 cardboard discs and the VERY fine machining marks still weren't even buffed out.

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Was that in one cleaning, or over a bunch of cleanings? Don't they make specific powder residue solvents? I have 2 SS rifles, and the muzzle gets residue on it. I used a Rem Oil cloth, and it came off pretty easily, and that was after it had been there a while.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The chamber mouth mating to the forcing cone is very critical. Using even light abrasives on a Dremel tool will result in uneven wear across the 6 chambers. This will increase the gas cutting of barrel throat over time.:(
    I would use one of the powder and lead solvents.:)

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

That was after about two years of cleanings. And if you have a dremel laying around, and cardboard, you're not buying anything. I forget though, not many people stay as broke as me.

This was on a used gun, and I couldn't get the residue off with anything. To begin with. After that first time, I honestly didn't try to get it off by hand anymore, just figured it weren't gonna happen.

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

On the flash marks on the cylinder face I have used mag wheel cleaner applied with a Q-tip with good results. I wish I could remember where I read about it so I could link you to the article, but you basically want to do just the flash marks. Don't soak the whole cylinder. Let it sit until it dries, reapply, then wipe it off before it dries again.

Another method I have seen is Jewelers Rouge and a soft cotton cloth. This is the same stuff they use to polish precious metals, and they swear it doesn't remove metal. I don't have the patience to try it, so I can't tell you anything from a personal viewpoint.

8. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Jeweler's rouge certainly removes metal. Cardboard is abrasive. Lead removal cloths are abrasive. Non-abrasive Flitz polish is-yes, abrasive.
    Powder marks on the cylinder are best left alone. They will be back the next time you shoot the gun anyway.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I second that. If you try be sure it's real dense lead cloth like Kleenbore. There are soft rags sold as l.c. They r worthless.

Unfortunately solvents don't do a good job which is which is a good reason to avoid brushed stainless slides. The crap seems to embed in the rough surface.

I have seen good results with Carbon Killer 2000.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

CLP powder blast does a good job of cleaning my stainless guns. I bought my 10/22 used. Powder blast got stains off it that were there when I bought it.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

John: I'm more concerned for my wife's SP101. As good as Frog lube and the others are, they don't totally remove the powder stain around the chambers of the cylinder. So who carries the CLP powder blast and how much does it run cost wise...?

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

Yankee Marshal on you tube has a video where he removes all traces of black on the cylinder. I forget what he used. He is kind of a rainbow twit and I seldom watch his drama queen antics. However, even the dimest bulb can shine a little light in a small space.

13. CAR

CAR Member Supporter

Mouser

I have used NEVER DULL for 15 years. It works great on my stainless GP100. I tried many other products but never dull works better than anything i've tried.
    It comes in a dark blue can with white lettering, one can lasts along time. IT is a cotton type wadding you tear off a little bit and rub the carbon off.
    Costs about 5 or 6 bucks a can, i found some at ace hardware for around 3.50 a can, wallmart has some in a gold can but i'm not sure its the same thing.
    I can send you a picture of the can if you want.

14. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

yes, please send/post picture...I have never heard of the stuff.

15. craigbernier

craigbernier New Member

Never Dull & Powder Blast

You can buy Never Dull at almost any Auto Parts stores. It is a popular product for cleaning wheels. I have used it for year for that purpose. If you use it to clean your firearms just be careful, it does contain an abrasive that is embedded in the wading.

Amazon carries CL Powder Blast for like $11 a can (12 ounces). I usually buy mine from there.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Thanks! we'll look the next time we are out and about.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I use a lead removal cloth. Works great. See my avatar. :)

18. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I found it! Now if I can find time and a place to shoot my GP100, I can test the cleaner out!

Attached Files:

19. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I hate it when my pictures are sideways! :eek:

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Saw the picture and realized I've been using it too. Never paid attention to the name! It is helpful on the cylinder face, the forcing cone, the recoil shield. I doubt you will ever need Never Dull for the outside finish if you clean regularly. Have to be careful with it. Do not use it on bright SS. How do I know? Learned the hard way.