Powder horn or flask?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by sarg1c, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

How do you guys carry and dispense your loose powder, Horh, Flask, or premeasured container. I use all the above, just depends on how I feel at the time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

powder horn is classier by far. but all i have is a flask :(

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Powder horns for rifles. I have a round CVA flask like yours for pistols. I had a traditional flask but it split open at the seam.

My favorite horn.

[​IMG]

A couple of others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Nice horns, I'll have to whittle a little on mine....ddid you make those ?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It depends. Some primitive competition requires loading with a horn. Most prohibit the use of spouts on horns. There have been many accidents from flintlock sparks landing in horn and flask spouts. I use a flask for loading revolvers. Hunting with a long rifle is not complete without a period horn. :)

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No doubt powder horns and old flasks look great but you can't beat the brass cylinder flasks like in the first post. I have two, a 5 oz and 2.5 oz plus a few spouts. It really can't get much easier.

7. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Brass Flask, for both my rifles. Was using one of those premeasure dispensers, that got old quick, and sometimes when I'm hunting I'll carry the little quick loaders that have the ball, patch, cap, and powder in it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It is a REALLY bad idea to pour powder directly from a horn (or flask, or other large container) into the bore of a firearm. In the event that there is a TEENSY TINY little ember that did not die out, you can fire ALL of the powder in that horn or flask. St Barbara will have unkind words for you when you get there.

Tip it into a measure. Tip the measure into the barrel. If you have a flashback, you have 100 grains of powder. Not 7000 grains.

BTW, those are beautiful powder horns. VERY nice work!

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I use em all, depending on what I am doing. Hunting I mostly just grab the rifle & 2 or 3 of these !..............

Attached Files:

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

I don't shot my muzzleloader much any more but when I did I had a horn but as C3 said loading directly from a horn or flask is a very bad idea. I still have all my fingers and want it to stay that way. So I ended up premeasuring. I never used one of the in line rifles but if I was going to get that far away from traditional muzzleloaders I would probably just use the pellets.

11. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

When I was shooting Black Powder,
    I poured the powder from the Horn into an empty Cartridge case.
    Had a case for each rifle.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is the correct procedure Shade. No competition allows powder to be poured directly from the horn. No one who is not suicidal would load powder directly from a horn. :)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, I hunt with a traditional side lock rifle. I roll my own cartridges- use double wider cigarette papers- roll around a dowel that just fits the bore- lick, stick, let dry, slip off the dowel. Slip paper tube over the rear of a maxi-ball, secure with a single cotton thread. Dump measured charge of powder into the tube, crimp it, dot of mucilage glue.

I could Put 5-6 of those in a plastic .22 ammo box, tin of caps in another pocket, good for a day's hunting and then some. To use, tear paper at base of bullet, pour powder down barrel, ram ball, prime nipple.

14. Hawg

Hawg New Member

No, A friend made the top one. I bought the middle one and got the bottom one in a trade.

15. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

I have several horns here that need cleaning and polishing, but these two I bought off internet already polished, just had to fit the the wood work. The patch knife I made from a blank from The SMokie Mountain Knife works of Pigeon Forge TN. Our horns here are white without the Black.Not as pretty.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have two brass flasks. 1 big, 1 small. I use the big one for revolvers. The small one is for my rifle. I only load from the flask to the gun on the first round of firing for the day. After that I load from flask to measure to gun. I don't care to have a flask blow up in my hand.

17. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Good post, makes sense, I also use a measure to load, just wanted the horns for looks.

18. PRM

PRM New Member

I always use a powder flask with my C&B revolvers. Never heard of anyone having an issue with a revolver, and I've been shooting them for well over 35 years. There are ranges and some black powder events that will discourage direct loading even for revolvers. Long guns are a different story. For them I use a powder horn with a separate measure. I never pour powder from a horn directly into a barrel (measured spout). I will stay on the side of safety with that one.

I've seen folks hang powder horns over a fire place - looks rustic, but, hanging a bomb near an open flame just don't make sense.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  19. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Keeping their powder dry????? :eek:

20. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I use a flask, mainly because it was cheap and I don't mind if it gets scuffed up.