Potable water in California.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by patrilogical, Feb 6, 2010.

1. patrilogical

patrilogical New Member

In the case of SHTF, we're going to need clean water in southern california.
    I don't mind sharing some of my spots if you don't mind. ;]

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I know several springs in the Sierras and the Los Padres NF. But living in the San Fernando Valley means I will be reduced to using solar stills most likely.

Do you know of any in the SaMo mtns that are off the beaten path?

3. patrilogical

patrilogical New Member

In the Santa Monica Mountains there are a couple spots. But you've got to be careful because you can walk around there for days and not find any water at all.
    You're best bet would be big sycamore canyon which you get to from the Rancho Satwiwa trail. From there you can go off trail and no one would find you.
    But thats only a seasonal creek/waterfall.
    I don't remember any more spots.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is the big problem with living in the dez. Well, that and the roving gangs of criminals, desperate sheep, and assorted sociopaths.

5. patrilogical

patrilogical New Member

Since you live in San Fernando Valley,
    my advice to you would be if you were to bug out when SHTF go to Bishop, CA.
    Then once you see cow fields find any dirt road that leads to the mountains and take it, you can immediately get "lost" in there and there are plenty of water sources almost year round.

Not to mention some deer, small game, and bears.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Amen to that. I love the Bishop area and know it well. The eastern Sierras look so desolate from Hwy395, but get just off the road and they are paradise. Great fishing, hunting, old mines, and plenty of great water.

7. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

GPS tagging.... works wonders.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've thought about this, but seem to be a bit paranoid about EMP of late.

9. patrilogical

patrilogical New Member

Oh yes m14,
    they certainly do contain a hidden treasure.
    My favorite part is the little lakes area, which is near "Tom's Place" if you've been there.
    And I'm not that familiar with GPS tagging, plus I do not have a GPS.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I am familiar with the Little Lakes area, but have not been there in 20 years. A trip is in order for this spring. Might need to be late spring due to the snow pack. So much snow this year already.

11. patrilogical

patrilogical New Member

Sometimes the snow is year round there if you hike up to glacier lake, or ruby lake. I was there in mid august last year and there were still big patches of snow.
    But it is a great place to be, especially if you get to glacier lake.
    But its only a good place if you know how to survive in cold temperatures, or if you migrate out of there every winter.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Most of our backpacking is in the early winter and late spring, so cold weather is no problem. I have had snow on the ground even late in the summer.

A few years back we did a 90 mile stretch of the John Muir Trail in mid September and snow was easy to find. Thanksgiving week used to be the best time to head to the high country. It was always people free, bug free and beautiful.

My problem will be getting from LA to the Sierras after "an event". I expect no shortage of roadblocks and such. The 14 and 395 will not be fun or fast. Once we make it to the Sierras life will be much better.

13. patrilogical

patrilogical New Member

Three years back I did pretty much the same thing, I love the Muir Trail. People like us, with backpacking experience I think will have no problem once we reach our familiar mountains.

But yes, road blocks will be the enemy. Which is why I'm currently looking for alternative "just in case" routes.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You are right. Once we get to the mtns we should be fine.

The side roads and back roads are key. My partner and I took a full day about 14 years ago and piled into my truck with some maps. Found a way to get from the San Fernando Valley to Gorman without using the fwy. And most of the way was dirt roads. Needed 4wd in several places, which could help keep casual riff raff out. There are so many fire roads and such. I think a good pair of bolt cutters (got 'em) and my ATV's will help.

Do you know where the ranger station between the South Lake and Evolution Valley on the Muir Trail is? The ranger told me that there is a lake with 6lb trout near the top of the ridge above it. It is accessed by cross country travel in STEEP terrain (redundant, I know). The lake has no name, only a number. It is marked on one of my maps.

We are planning to do the South Lake to North Lake loop again this year.