POSTAL SERVICE

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sheriffjohn, May 22, 2020 at 2:48 PM.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

My mailbox is 6/10ths of a mile from our house, at a "T" intersection of two gravel roads, no neighbors. I'm on my 9th mailbox in 15 years. Post office is 7 miles away, open from 7:30 AM to 11 AM. Most meds, all other correspondence goes to the box on a post. Repeated requests to get box moved to the house denied. Packages are left at the Post Office and Courtney always calls when a package arrives too large for the box. Laura is our mail LADY.

Yesterday, Laura took time to call me personally to tell me she had just left our "Stimulus Check" in our mailbox to avoid it being left there. Don't know about other folks, but I am grateful for our rural mail service here. UPS/FEDX folks know our dogs and one always has Milkbones and call Roscoe and Herbie by name.

RJF22553, PaBushMan, primer1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

You are at the luck of the draw when it comes to having a good carrier or a bad one.

I pay all my bills on line now due to lost checks. If I must mail something, I get a tracking number. Too many lost checks to take a chance anymore.

towboater likes this.

3. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

The UPS guy we had growing up knew everyone in our little town, family members, the cars they drove, etc. One day after school, i found a package (shipped UPS) sitting in the passenger seat of my car, addressed to me. Turns out that was the only package he had to deliver anywhere near our house that day. He recognized my car while doing a delivery at the school & decided rather than drive 36 miles round trip for one package, to just leave it in my car.

My parents were a little p!ssed at him but i thought it was kinda funny.

4. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

met ours outside this afternoon and he handed our stuff and we wished each other a good holiday weekend....15 minutes later he came roaring back down the street to hand me a box he had forgotten to give me initially...

over the last couple of years there is a xmas card w/gift card, which is now up, from initial 50$ to 100$ this year...and a note to take the misses out someplace nice over the holidays...

always get a hand written note of thanks...tis a goode olde boy way of saying thanks...

sheriffjohn, Oldoutlaw and c3shooter like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a package with tracking number get lost by USPS.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  6. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

The UPS guy delivered a package to my MGB when I was in a supermarket. UPS guy knew I left town often and made sure I got it ASAP.

I ordered a package from Lenexa, KS. guaranteed delivery date:
    April 06
    April 08
    April 10...

23 guaranteed delivery dates so far. USPS

Caveman Jim and donthav1 like this.
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

We live in the country- we know our letter carrier, and the FedEx and UPS folks. They take good care of us- and they have NO control over what happens back at the sorting facility, just what THEY do on THEIR routes.

As NW said, 26 December is Boxing Day- English tradition- we make sure they get a card with a thank you note, and a picture of a President.

towboater likes this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Over 29 years at this address we have had a handful of mail/packages that have disappeared completely. Almost all of the misdeeds have happened with tracking numbers issued...
    Case in point, just a few weeks ago I was expecting a small package with an expensive BUIS that I traded for. My package made it the 80 miles South in 3 days, his package should have been due around the same time frame....
    He had misplaced his tracking # so I told him I’d like my item back, this pushed the importance of finding it and in 2 hours he texted me a pic. He said it was delivered on the 11th.... Nope, me no gots nuttin...
    I go into my rural town and had the mail lady look into it, said it was delivered on the 11th (showed me GPS where it was delivered) at my mailbox...:eek::eek::eek: She said somebody Musta gotcha. I wasn’t amused at all and left seething....o_O
    That was on the 16th, on the 18th it magically appears in my box.:confused::confused::confused:

I have very little faith in any government entity, from the coroner up....:oops:

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    primer1, towboater and ellis36 like this.
  9. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

My mail carrier lady must have a toggle switch for an accelerator. My driveway is gravel and over 1/4 mile long. I got so fed up with her digging holes and tire tracks in my gravel road with her right rear wheel I put up the largest mail box made at the highway to stop her from coming to the house.

ellis

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

dang dude, do you also have to climb a pole to make a phone call as well?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

because it sounds like you are living at the outskirts of a backwater town like Hooter-s-ville

am I the only one that is living in civilization where my mail is deliver right to my house? where I just walk a few feet and get my mail

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sheriffjohn likes this.
  11. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I just recently had a package with tracking number lost by UPS. It arrived our city, then lost. It turned up two weeks later in California. Another week before UPS got it to my house. They are all a bit bad right now.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  12. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I wonder if you guys living in the sticks also have "old mail day"

[​IMG]

13. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Just today, our mail person left my neighbor's mail ( 3 houses down from mine) in my mail box, it was his stimulus check and 2 bills from an insurance company. Don't have any idea who got my mail.

towboater and ellis36 like this.
  14. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I think this explains my mailman pretty well.

typical government.jpg

towboater, Nod and ellis36 like this.
  15. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

The town i grew up in had a population of 150 when i graduated. No school, no post office, no church (but we had 2 bars :cool: ), and only 2 paved roads, the rest were gravel.

The town i live in now is slightly bigger, with a population of about 100,000 in the metro area. We even have running water & electricity! But unfortunately i still have to walk about 150 feet accross the street to the mailbox. :(

16. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Got rid of landline but most visitors' cellphones don't work at our house, so they drive to the blacktop to call if their phone won't connect with our broadband. Broadband is same as Wall Street in NYC, very fast and reliable. Mail depends on whether water is over the road and how deep. I've taken my tractor to the blacktop to meet the mail lady a couple of times.

ellis36 likes this.
  17. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

I've had two in the past 30 days. One currently. They're searching for it.

18. joed49

joed49 Member

I too have decent mail service and can't complain about delivery. But, the post office just has such antiquated equipment it drives me nuts.

Have never seen anything more worthless then their package tracking. Last order was 3 days ago. The info that comes back is no info available and the package will probably get here before I ever see a status. With any luck the status will say delivered about 3 days after it arrives. How can you beat this system?

19. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I enrolled on their mail notification system. It worked for three days then the e-mails started showing up in my suspected spam folder and I started getting notices from my provider that the site was a spam site! :eek:

ellis

20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Got an email from USPS this morning saying our package was being returned to sender, undeliverable as addressed. Couldn't they have just told us to come get it? It was six miles from my house!
    and they wonder why they're going broke!

sheriffjohn, towboater and ellis36 like this.