Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!)

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Ploofy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Sniping is a basic skill?

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Not with a shotgun, no.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I read the title, I was thinking it would be ; gardening, gunsmithing, emt skills, leather work, bardering,etc

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I'm guessing if you've got the first skill down pat (sniping) the other skills take care of themselves? Lock picking is definitely not an issue if you have the first skill. :)

5. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Pretty interesting. Thanks.

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Well the first will help you get to the others for sure.

7. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

id say it needs be more of shooting a gun hunting as well as skining and cleaning and perserving meat and gardening and perserving food Heat/Shelter/Food/Water is most important

8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

There are some amazing youtube videos on that kind of thing. Lock picking is something I have never understood, and although that helped explain it a little, I still don't understand it!

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

That lock picking page was useless. It got across the basic idea of how locks work, and nothing else. Descriptions and an audio track might be useful. And, why would cracking a master lock be a useful survival skill? I'd just whack it with something and move on........

10. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Well i guess i dont need to feel bad about not having learned how to pick locks from that then...smashing a lock suffeciently to break it could draw unwanted attention however and knowing how to pick a lock means you can now use a lock for your own purposes without a key.

11. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

I think I will focus on skills like:

Water purification
    Identify edible plants
    Rudimentary blacksmithing
    Trapping small game

I plan to be far away from locks, padlocks, buildings, or other people.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Interesting! People usually put locks on stuff that is interesting or useful or fun. (thinking of my footlocker's contents and chastity belts)

13. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Chastity belt? Now I may want to learn some lock pick skills after all. I guess even that can be opened with a 20lb sledge hammer.

14. bkt

bkt New Member

Somehow, I came to acquire a basic lock picking kit. It is absurdly easy to pick small locks. By that, I mean any idiot with opposable thumbs can learn to pick desk, file cabinet, and similar locks as well as most wimpy house locks in a few minutes. A rake is your friend. Many bigger locks don't require a lot more effort to learn. Just sayin'.

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I thought the illustration in that link was pretty good. It helped to understand the theory behind lock picking, and that helps with the practice.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Post collapse skills- (without pictures- use yer imagination)

Basic survival- water, fire, shelter, hiding (yes, I said hiding. You gotta sleep sometime)
    Food gathering and PRESERVATION- hunting fishing, gardening, foraging, and animal husbandry. Butchering, milking, making butter and cheese. Beekeeping.
    Handy man skills- carpentry, plumbing, wiring- including building simple generators
    Advanced first aid/ medical, including alternative medications, simple surgery, dentistry
    Specialized skills- metal working/ blacksmithing, weaving, gunsmithing. moonshining, small engine repair, etc
    Martial arts- traps, improvised weapons, firearms, chemical, explosives, personal combat

There are dozens of other skills you can learn for little money. Know how to make bread from scratch? Soap? Tanning leather? Box trap for rabbits?

Like any commodity, knowledge is most valuable when in short supply. If the world turned to ca-ca overnight, I know a simple, hard working man in my community that would be in HIGH demand. Builds some of the nicest fireplaces you have ever seen.

17. bkt

bkt New Member

Coming from you, I'm really pleased to say I can do most of those things. And there are folks in my very small group that can cover the rest. :)

As long as we have time to mess around with learning skills that might seem obscure right now, we might as well learn 'em. Worst case is you waste a little time learning something you will never need. Best case is you live longer as a result. Do the math.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, I like your list C3Shooter. I can d a fair amount of that also. Uhhh, maybe not animal husbandry.......

In a SHTF scenario, I was thinking something more like sledgehammer or explosives to pick locks. Also rethinking that in regards to the chastity belt...... :D

19. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I suppose I was assuming the more widely accepted skills wouldn't be necessary to post, as most of them have been discussed in here. The idea of "sniping" is important because if a hostile force is identified, it stands to reason that you'd want to deal with them quickly, quietly, and without getting shot in return. Lock picking is nice because anything worth something is generally locked up and "just breaking the lock" isn't always as easy as it sounds. It also prevents you from locking it up for your own purposes. Anything worth breaking into is probably worth securing, as shelter is necessary for survival, and if it's still locked, you're the first meaning it's relatively safe. Master locks are designed to be indestructible. You can't drill or saw through them without a lot of effort or special tools. Even bolt cutters get damaged when trying to get through the hardened steel. If you want to learn Survivability, Carpentry, Medical Skills, SERE, so on and so forth, I've posted a link to most Military Manuals in PDF form. The military, however, does not teach one how to quietly pick a lock (at least officially) so I posted these to supplement.