Post BAN

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Lupo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Would anyone know where to find Post ban complete Ar-15's. I unfortunately live in Connecticut and I am not having to much luck in this category. I am really shopping around before I make any financial decisions you know what I'm saying?
    They seem really hard to come by now that the ban was lifted and I want get another before it is reinstated.

Thanks
    Lupo

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

????????? All currently manufactured AR's are Post Ban aren't they? I guess I don't
    know exactly what you are asking----something specific to Connecticut?

3. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I think he's saying that even though the federal ban is over, his state still follows those guidelines. So, he needs to find an AR with all the restrictions required to be legal in his state. I bet Stag or any large manufacturer would have a nice unit that met Connecticut's rules.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Don't you mean pre-ban?

Either way, check out the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com. You really only need a pre-ban lower, then you can build your rifle as you like.

5. Lupo

Lupo New Member

I mean post ban. Connecticut is really tight with their laws.

And thank you jankiphoto.

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I ordered mine from Rock River Arms - the correct term nowadays is AWB compliant. NY has similar laws, so I needed the AWB compliant version of their standard NMA4 rifle - the difference? No flash suppressor, no bayonet lug, and only 10 rd. mags...some companies will not distinguish between pre and post ban rifles when they ship, so you need to be careful to remain legal and know your state laws - luckily, RRA knew what NY required. On the other hand, the DPMS AR I bought shipped with two 20 rd. mags. - in NY max capacity is 10 rds.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is kind of what I have been getting from him too - I have been trying to help him through e-mail, but not being from that part of the country is a problem.

AWB compliant makes more sense to me now - Thanks RL

JD

8. Lupo

Lupo New Member

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yep. Your laws suck there brother. You are definitely living behind enemy lines...

I thought you were going with an upper and a lower? Now you want a complete unit?

Okay - give me a few minutes...

JD

10. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Im looking around ya know. Weighing out my options which are very limited. Becuase both places online you have to pay out of state taxes and everything and you don't have to with most states, just my luck. But I just want to see what is out their for me.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Here's an option, but you will have to have the Flash Hider removed prior to taking purchase:

Rock River Arms: AR1238X

Mid Length A2 Handguard – Black / Green
    Standard Grip – Black/Green
    A2 ButtStock – Black Green
    Personally I would op for a folding front site, but it is more money.
    Standard Safety Selector – I don’t believe you were a Lefty.
    Chrome Moly 1:9 Standard Barrel. You could upgrade to the 1:8 Stainless Steel .223 Wylde if you were so inclined.
    With this one, you would have to get the Flash Hider removed, most likely by the store that imports the weapon behind enemy lines to you.

The same would hold true for DPMS as they have a couple of models that are similar in configuration.

JD

12. Lupo

Lupo New Member

How would you be able to do that before purchse? The store I pick it up at?

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would assume the FFL's in your area are used to this procedure by now.

If you can only have so many criteria met on units to be sold in the State, they would have to either 1) Have the ability to order you a Conn Compliant version from their manufacturing connection or 2) Remove the offending product from the weapon when it hits their shop to legally be sold by them, to you....

Check with your local dealer -

JD

14. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Yea I think I am going to go tomorrow after school, see what they have for sale and then compare it to the online prices of things.

Thanks. Ill get back to you with what I find out.

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

YW JD - I didn't know about having to be AWB compliant either until RRA told me NY retained much of the pre-ban BS also. What I don't understand is how I was able to legally purchase my Yugo SKS with grenade launcher & bayonet?! I hope some day I don't find out the hard way that the gunshop that sold them was in violation of the law...that would REALLY suck! As far as Lupo goes, I feel sorry for him - I had a friend in Ct. that had to turn in his AR-15 in 1994. I don't know if I could do that - I think I would move first!

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Or stage a break in... :cool:

JD

17. bkt

bkt New Member

Is it considered C&R? (The laws are mortally screwed up and make no sense....)

Lupo, I went through a company called Legal Transfers in New Hampshire to get my upper. NY requires the muzzle break is silver-soldered and pinned and the bayonet lug is ground down. I think Legal Transfers charged me $10 extra for that work. You might find they can provide you with some (or all) of what you need. No connection to them -- just a satisfied customer. Check out the EE on ar15.com for details.

18. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Thanks man, I will give that a look into!

19. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I don't think so - I always thought C&R guns were much older - the SKS is a mod.59/66 which I believe means 1959-1966 - too new to b considered C&R.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

C&R is whatever the ATF decides it is. They can declare any firearm C&R.