possibly purchasing a Colt AR15 SP1, help please??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by eeklun01, Dec 8, 2011.

1. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

i am a complete noobie about assault rifles and i need some advice, so my friend is selling me his colt ar15 sp1 for $300 the gun is in full working order and i was wondering if this gun is notorious for any problems and if its even worth my time purchasing?

also the gun doesnt have forward assist and i plan to change the upper, if i change the upper receiver with a YHM A3 upper is it possible to change just the upper and use the original parts? i am sure there are more parts that the upper consists of than i know of

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Lemme put it to you this way.

If you don't want. Please tell him to sell it to me.

Secondly, yes you can just change the upper rec,iever, but you will need to do some research and special tools. Honestly a forward asssit isn't all that big a deal, unless its a fightin gun then I'd rather have the FA. But for a range and plinker....DOET.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Oh and colts are good guns. Even if the barrel as shot out and every litte part on it needed to be replaced...$300 IS A GREAT PRICE.

Oh and....picture plzzzzzzzz.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'll take it.

5. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

ok thanks for the help, yeah he said the same thing about foward assist, i plan to use this gun for tactical courses and for home pertection for when the freeloading people of the united states go crazy haha heres some pics

Attached Files:

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Is everything Colt like the BCG and what not?

7. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

sorry still new to AR's, what do you mean by BCG?

8. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Bolt Carrier Group.

What I think he's getting at, is if that rifle is all original, it might be better for you to sell it. It could be worth more than the $300 you've got in it.

-Fred

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

My fault, not yours. It's the Bolt Carrier Group (carrier, bolt, firing pin, gas key).

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

ssssssh! :d

11. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

oh, yes the rifle is 100% original

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got a sp1 about 50k higher serial than that one. Ive been shooting mine since 1986 never had a jam or ftf fte. Forward assist is not needed in a working ar15.

If a round doesnt go into battery you need to check the bore. Ive seen ar15s go kaboom cuz the owner just kept jamming the fa witout looking till it went in battery. Then kaboom from bore obstruction.

If you swap the upper out you will need a small to large front pin adaptor they cost like 5$ off midway or brownells.

Just dont swap the colt parts out into a new reciever sp1 in good condition are collector items.

My advice buy it clean it shoot it as is once or twice then buy a different ar15 to beat on. Save it. Sp1 goes for 900-1500 depending on condition

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

:eek: An original Colt SP1 and you are going to break it down and replace parts? Think about it this way...if it's 100% original it's worth 3-4 times what you are paying for it, change the upper and it's just an old gun with new parts. JMHO

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1977[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SP67651[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1978[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SP83400[/FONT]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

yeah its 100% original, you may have my misunderstood my original post, i havent put any money into it one of my close friends is selling it for $300 the gun is in perfect shape, well from atleast what i could see when he broke it all down infront of me. i wasnt aware that this gun could be worth that much, im going to have to take the advice on not changing the upper reciever

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Buy it.

Keep the original upper untouched and unchanged.

Swap the upper out with a new one. Its as easy as pulling out 2 pins, 10 seconds tops.

Shoot it like you stole it, kuz at that price you just may have..........

16. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Colt SP1 for $300, run those #'s.

17. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

i dont think the gun is hot, what i know is he got it as a gift along with a WW2 thompson from his dad before they got divorced a few yrs ago, hes only 20yrs old so i dont think he realizes what its really worth or maybe theres more to it than im aware of, if upload photos of the gun broke down and photos of all the parts could someone tell me what kind of condition its in and if its 100% original?

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Post'em I'm sure someone will be along soon who'll be able to tell.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

You cant just gift a full auto thompson to someone. 20 years old is too young to fill out the paperwork on one if it was legally entered into the nfa roles in the first place.

Most liekly its a recent manufacture semi auto replica of the ww2 thompson.

20. eeklun01

eeklun01 New Member

i know for a fact that he didnt have 9 grand or how ever much thompsons are going for (sorry dont mean to sound rude i just want to prove my point of it being a real thompson)