Possible trade. Need you opinion

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by patrickkr, Jan 20, 2014.

1. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I have a stoger cougar 8000 .40 s&w and a rough looking Nagant revolver. I found a guy with a auto ordinance 1911 .45acp and he wants to trade for the both of them. Is that a good deal for me? I really don't like the stoger so getting rid of it is no big deal to me but I like the Nagant revolver so that's what's got me on the fence about it. The 1911 comes with no ammo but I have 250 rounds of .40s&w and 100 7.62 Nagant that I think I will sell as extra.

Let me know what you think

This is a pic of the 1911
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390255901.239582.jpg

2. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

My dad had one WAY back before Kahr bought Thompson/Auto Ordnance, it was the Parkerized 1911, he loved it, and want's to get another. I say do it, it should be an exact copy of the 1911A1 Milspec, only thing that I don't like about them is they've got a cast frame. Other than that the rest is Forged, not saying that's bad, I just prefer Forged Frame and Slide and Barrel.

Besides, you can always find another Nagant 1895. I'd hang on to that 7.62Nagant ammo if I were you.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I NEVER heard a good story abot Auto-Ordnance 1911's. Some may have had good luck with them, but I would say NO to such a deal.

The Cougar is a nice gun. By its self worth more than the AO

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

If the Auto Ordinance is made in Hurley then N-O! Run. It will say on it, ask.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pre- Kahr 1911s do not have a good reputation for reliability or quality of parts. Unless it has been gutted, and rebuilt completely with good parts I would consider running from the deal. They made a few good ones, but there is a reason they went out of business and ended up getting bought out. After they were bought out, Kahr retooled. That says something. If you have shot it, and it runs fine and is accurate and feeds ammo that is not FMJ you could consider it. If you wanted to buy it to do a rebuild, that would be ok but I would consider the cost if all the parts and labor in the offer on the AO.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Trade !...................

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The gentlemen that are saying run are knowledgeable about 1911's. I would run on their advice.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would ask who did the work on the 1911.

If you really want to trade, check the 1911 out very carefully.
    (There is a sticky about buying a 1911 that you should peruse.)

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I would say NO to AO-
    One I had sucked --- my friend/ local dealer said no on a trade in - He never had any luck with them ( 1st time he ever didn't work on a deal for me) :(

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had an AO and the key word is had and not for very long. The new ones might be OK but leave the old ones alone. You can buy a decent new 1911 for $500 and sometimes less.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That's what i'd do---Sell & shop & buy what you want--
    Shoot- Them $99 Nagants are bringing $200 pretty ez these days ;)

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The new auto ordnance 1911's are junk. It isn't worth $425.00 and they tend to only run fiiochi brand ammo. Skip it.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

13. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I passed he tried to get me to include all the ammo and add cash. I paid $200 for the Nagant only because my buddy really need cash and I gave $375 for the cougar new so I wi try and find a better deal.

I know rock island 1911 are around $500 are they any good?

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They are great.

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

With the money you have in your Cougar and Nagant, I would not trade. The main reason, imo, to get an AO would be if could pick it up real cheap, with the idea of using the frame and the slide as the basis for building one up.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YES-------:cool:

17. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can't beat them for the price. I carried the commander for a few years. Never had a problem, very accurate and ate whatever I fed it. I paid $400 used and I'd do it again. It's the only gun I regret selling.

19. monsterdawg725

monsterdawg725 New Member

I had a new auto ordnance and the first trip to the range it cycled ok but the front sight flew off .

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Put it this way, I had 2 in the shop. I didn't like them. I sold one and it came back two days later and was shipped back to the manufacturer. The shop at my club sold one and I got hands on experience with it at the range. I then refused to sell the other one. They are junk.