Possible to Carry a 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by cadkins, Dec 8, 2011.

1. cadkins

cadkins New Member

Is it possible or even worth using a 1911 as your carry piece?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Oh HELL yes! :D

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have different sidearms that I have used as a carry gun- one is a full sized 1911A1, one is a ParaOrdnance C7/45.

A lot will come down to (a) how big are you? (b) what kind of holster, (c) what are you wearing?

At the time I regularly carried the full sized 45, I was 5'8", about 140, was using a shoulder holster, and wearing a coat and tie. With some of the Super Tuck type holsters, you would be surprised what you can carry.

Nowdays my usual carrry piece is my old Mdl 36 S&W- goes in the pockets on my cargo shorts in good weather- but I still have rigs for a 1911, a Browning High Power, and a rather large .357.

4. melensdad

melensdad New Member

On a very rare occasion I will carry a little pocket 380, but I got a carry license in 1985 and 98% of the time I carry a 1911. Cocked and locked. Sometimes openly (I'm in a state that allows OC) but usually concealed.

For ANY heavy gun, and most 1911s are fairly heavy, get a good gun belt. A heavy gun requires a stiff belt. Cabela's makes a decent belt called the DOUBLE DUTY that will last for years and is often on sale. A stiff belt makes it very easy to carry a heavy gun because it distributes the weight of the gun. Carry a heavy gun on a simple dress belt or a casual belt and you will be miserable by the end of the day.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Both my wife and I carry a 1911 in winter and fall. It mainly boils down to personal preference, how big you are, what type of holster you are using, and your attire. Now I'm 6'4" and my wife is 6'1" so it's not much of a problem for either of us to carry one concealed. As a back up we both carry a Kahr CM9 in the pocket.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i carry a colt new agent 1911 everyday. totally do-able

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't carry a 1911. I don't have one, but I'm hoping to change that shortcoming within about a month or so.

What I do carry is a S&W model 65-2. I would have to think that it may possibly be a bit harder to conceal than a 1911, but I don't know for sure. Of course, I just let that joker print, there's not much I can do to avoid it.

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That was my EDC for 8 years.

9. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

Without a doubt my friend

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Im 6' 165lbs and i carry 2 colt gcs 1911 in a dual shoulder holster battle harness. Both cocked and locked hammer back. If i have a light jacket on most people dont know i have them on unless the jacket pulls tight on them. Most of the time though i oc. So yes it is very doable.

11. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I cary a compact 1911 everyday now. I used to carry all sorts of other pistols, from Glocks to little .32's and .380's even a commander sized 1911, and nothing feels as good as a 1911 in my hands. The compact is lighter and smaller so it's very easy to conceal. +1 on a good stiff belt and a good holster. They make all of the difference in the world.

12. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I carry a Sig P226 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB every day. It is so comfortable that I seldom notice it is even there....yeah I know, I'm used to it.

I just ordered a Galco Kingtuck IWB for my newly acquired 5" 1911. After a lot more range time with it, the 1911 will go into my carry rotation, just because I like 45's.

My point, with the right rig, you can comfortably carry a full sized auto as your CCW and if done correctly it will never be noticed. As to "is it worth it?", well a 45 makes a right large hole and there is much to said for that.:cool:

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Absolutely yes.
    I find my CCO easier to conceal than my XD40SC. It's thinner and lighter. A commander sized 1911 wouldn't really be much worse. I did play around trying to conceal my full sized 1911. A bit more effort and some loss of comfort, but not really difficult. (All my CC holsters are IWB) Of course I'm 6'3" & 235 lbs. Someone 5'4" & 100 lbs might need to work a bit harder.
    You can conceal nearly anything, given enough motivation and a well designed holster. Oh, don't cheap out on the belt either. Find one designed with holster use in mind. It makes a BIG difference over that JC Penny belt you found on sale.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in Florida, and I carry a 1911 year round. It is thin and conceals well. I can wear a colored or print tee shirt and carry all day long without being spotted, but generally try to wear square cut button-up shirts outside of my pants. I sometimes look like a Yankee tourist, but I am a well armed Yankee tourist. With the proper leather you can also carry it comfortably, but you can't do it in a $14.95 holster, and you need a good belt.

I am a firm believer in only carrying one firearm, so I train with and carry the 1911. I never feel under-gunned.

15. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

+1 to all that is said above. The right belt and the right holster make all of the difference in the world. It is easy to conceal most any firearm, but comfort levels will vary depending on how you conceal them. A good belt designed to carry the weight and a good holster, make carying a 1911 almost as easy as carying a much lesser pistol.

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The 1911 has been my carry gun for 36 years, both as an off duty gun when I was an LEO and still carry one to date. I have been carring my Para P14 now for close to 20 years, serial# 18XX..........

Jim......

17. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Agreed, i weigh about 180 and stand 6' tall, not a problem for me to carry a full size gov't. I carry it most the year with little problems. I use a blackhawk serpa paddle most the time but sometimes i use a horizontal carry shoulder holster. Mostly i just pull my tshirt over my peice, dont really care if i print cause indiana doesnt require i conceal it anyway.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Can I get a Ninja Face Palm on this one...Please?

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Consider yourself ninja'd.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I know a guy that conceals a 45ACP Mac 10 with a 20 rnd mag and 2 spare mags. He is a big guy. I know I could not pull it off. I did carry a full size 1911 at one time so it can be done. A Commander is a little easier. The Officer models are very easy.