Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting rid of my M77 MKII Varmint/Target chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and thinking of getting out of the Creedmoor camp all together. Starting completely over, scope and all.

Thinking about a smaller rifle chambered in the old tried and true 270 WIN. After doing some caliber research, it's hard to beat the old 270. Looking pretty hard at a Tikka T3x. Bergara is also on the radar. Between the two, as designs go, which do you like better? Is there any others you would recommend that I may not be familiar with over the Tikka or Bergara?

Use would be hunting and shooting steel at 600 and under.

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, SIG 365 Subcompact
13,209 Posts
While not experienced with either models you are looking at, I am curious as why the choice of .270 over the creedmore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing a Creedmoor does better than the old 270 is handle wind drift. And that's only out at distances further than I'll be shooting. 600 and in.... The worst 270 round shoots flatter, faster and hits harder than the best Creedmoor round.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Why get rid of the 6.5?
In hunting, the 270 won't kill anything better than it. And when it comes to bullet selection, there are far more choices in .264" bullet's than there will ever be for .277" bullet's.
Unless you're hunting moose or elk, I see no reason to go to a 270, and even then I'd choose a 280 AI or 30-06 over the 270 any day of the week.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why get rid of the 6.5?
In hunting, the 270 won't kill anything better than it. And when it comes to bullet selection, there are far more choices in .264" bullet's than there will ever be for .277" bullet's.
Unless you're hunting moose or elk, I see no reason to go to a 270, and even then I'd choose a 280 AI or 30-06 over the 270 any day of the week.
I'm mainly wanting to get rid of the Ruger due to lack of aftermarket support. Nice rifle, but just not a lot you can change or modify on it. Plus, I'd like a little smaller rifle. It's a 9 - 9.5lb rifle before the scope. 28" heavy barrel.

I've thought about all of that you've mentioned. You're absolutely right about bullet selection. From a reloading standpoint and just off the shelf. Plenty of 270 on the shelf, but pretty much all in hunting rounds. There are a few nice .277 bullets you can get for reloading though. Sierra and Hornady make a few nice ones.

The main reason I was thinking of going with the 270 is because at the distances I am using it, the 270 is just better in every category over the 6.5. I've already got a couple of rifles chambered in 30-06 and I love that cartridge. The 6.5 PRC looks nice, but at $65 - $70 a box for ammo, that's a no go for me. Plus, it's hard on barrels (not that it's going to really affect me anyways).

·
Registered
626 Posts
What do you like about the Bergara over the Tikka?
Bergara (2 I have handled) "seemed" smoother running to me. Great trigger, awesome fit and finish.
Tikka is GOOD, but didn't have the "wow" factor.

IF I were in the market for a hunting / utility rifle, Tikka would be on the list. #1 because of $$$.

My rifles are Rem 700, Win 70, Ruger MkII
All 30 + years old.
I don't foresee another.

·
Supporting Member
14,648 Posts
Leadslanger,

I cannot be objective regarding the Bergara Rifles because I have never handled one or shot one. I understand from what I have heard that they are fine rifles.
However, I am partial because I have a Tikka T3 Camo in 270 Cal. And it is a fine little rifle.
Although when in Texas I mostly use a Remington 700 CDL in 7mm Remington Magnum. I have taken my TIKKA T-3 270 and it has performed just fine. I use the 7mm Mag most of the time because it is easy to have a deer in the open at 400 + yards. Not that the 270 cannot do that, but just feel better shooting longer distances with the 7mm Mag. And of course, at the distances it is flatter shooting.
But back to the point the TIKKA T-3s are fine rifles and in 270 as well. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts