???Possible cause

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Curt, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Curt

Curt New Member

Does anyone know what could have caused this.

We fired about 1000 rounds of 9 mm ammo through a Taurus 9mm, Glock, and High Point rifle.

We noticed many spent cases had these markings after firing through each weapon. Both factory and reload ammo showed this. Markings were random and didn't show on all casings in each clip fired.

All weapons were thoroughly cleaned prior to shooting.

Attached Files:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It is nothing. When anything burns it produces smoke. All that is is smoke residue.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The real question is how did you get 1000 rounds of 9mm?

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The cartridge case is a kind of a gasket. Brass gets "work hardened" in the forming process. The mouth/neck area must be anealed after forming to return it to its original soft/malleable state. Sometimes new brass is not properly anealed and it does not expand like it should. It does not get a good seal and hot gasses leak back leaving the tell tale black, sooty residue.

Reloads will eventually show this as the brass gets harder with each firing/resizing. The mouth will crack because it gets too hard. Do not sweat it too much. The brass will crack at the mouth before it gets too hard to be safe. Keep an eye out for small cracks at the mouth

5. Curt

Curt New Member

We had about 400 rounds that I picked up here and there when I could find them. We knew we were going on this trip so we started looking early.

The other 600 or so were my reloads. I'm down to about 300 rounds of reloads so it's time to get back to the bench and restock.

My brother and nephew in Texas had larger ammo.

It was a great trip. My son bagged his first hog. 212 lbs head shot at night with night vision at about 120 yards with a 300 BO. He said it was the best night of his life so far and we could see it on his face. Tasted good too.

Photos to be uploaded later.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013