ported barrel.

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Zamzow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

Any advice on if I should buy a ported barrel for my xd 40 cal. Been contemplating it but not sure if will really add any significance to the gun.

Zamzow

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It will certainly make it much much louder.

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I don't have first hand experience, but i've heard the reduction of recoil and muzzle flip is minimal and not worth the increased noise and flash

4. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Second this, and you may not want the additional muzzle flash in dark HD situations.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Will your XD be used for carry/PD?

If yes, the answer is NO....wait......Hell NO!

I have some experience with compensated and ported hand guns and none of them will be used for PD.

When shooting in low/no light conditions the flash will blind you!

6. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

Thank u all. I'll stay away from it then.

Zamzow

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you find that out the hard way like I did? At least I found out in controlled environment.

8. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Check out member " levelcross " avatar good example of ported barrel, now imagine that in the complete dark in your face.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Anyone wanting a ported barrel for HD shud be required to fire one in a dark room first :eek:

10. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

i have an xd 40 with a ported barrel. i strongly suggest that you do NOT buy the ported version. If you need more reasons than have already been given, just ask and i'll will list several of them for you. i'm not listing them now because you've already said you won't get it. if you start to doubt your decision, then i will definitely talk you out of it.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Barrel porting is for competition guns and could also be pragmatic in the case of stronger recoil woods guns. That's about where their usefulness ends in my opinion.

12. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I'm totaly against it now with all that u have been saying. Thank u for all the info.

Zamzow

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I was shooting my 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk with a Mag-na-port barrel and as the afternoon shoot continued into the evening the Ruger became a Pink Floyd concert! It was rather entertaining, but useless for any real accuracy.

14. suptra25

suptra25 New Member

I have the xd v10 and shooting practice ammo have noticed the flash. I dont find it as blinding as everyone says. But while running through my pd rounds (which are fed. Hydra-shok's) along with the reduced recoil, i have yet to have one flash me. So in conclusion, i feel is more about the ammo you choose. And as for sight acquisition it seems to stay on target easier, even though it may be all in my head. Its all about personal preference. IMO

Attached Files:

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Does it blacken your front sight w powder residue ? I read a Glock thread o. Ported barrels and there wasn't much positive input. I was surprised, people love compensated 1911s and I was wondering if it was a Glock thing...

16. suptra25

suptra25 New Member

I absolutely love mine! But that, IMO, is the only draw back. After around a hundred rounds or so it turns into more of a gray dot, rather than white, but nothing a q-tip or a shirt tail wont take care of.