Ported barrel and suppressor?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jpsm1th, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jpsm1th

jpsm1th New Member

I have a Glock 22c, I have been curious as to how effective a suppressor would be on my gun seeing as how it has a ported barrel. Have any of you tried this?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You would need a non ported threaded barrel to use a supressor.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First, welcome to the forum. Normally new members will stop in the Introduction thread and introduce themselves so the forum can welcome them properly.

Second, I can't help with your question, but I'm confident someone here can. Why do you want to suppress a ported barrel in the first place?

4. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I'm no expert, by any means, but I'm fairly certain this would be pointless. Suppressors, I'm pretty sure, operate by trapping escaping gasses and sound waves following the round out of the barrel. A ported barrel re-directs the gasses out the sides or top of the barrel via the ports, so I'm certain the sound waves would escape through the same route. Basically, I believe you need the route from chamber to muzzle to be as sealed as possible for sound containment, so ports would completely defeat the purpose of a suppressor. I do, however, wonder if perhaps a suppressor's baffles would act as a muzzle brake and give you some of the same benefits as a ported barrel. Anybody know if this is the case?