Popped primer (I think)

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Franklin1995, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I was at the range today with my Stevens 335 16 gauge. I noticed that some of the shells were coming out with black holes where the primers are (I believe this would be a popped primer) Stupidly I did not save one to take a picture of. I also had one shell misfire. The pin struck it but the shell did not go off. I've tested it with a snap cap and the firing pin seems to leave a small scratch as well as the dent in the middle. I also examined the firing pin today and it appears to be very sharp and jagged. The other one is more round and smooth. What problems could this pose to the firearm? Should I replace the firing pin? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes you should replace the firing pin! Sounds like it is piercing the primers! It should be radiused (rounded) on the tip. I would not shoot it anymore until I got the repaired. It is obviously letting pressure come back into the chamber. Numrich Arms or Gun Parts Inc.(Same) Is a good place to possibly find one.

3. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

What is the worst case scenario if I don't replace it? And from what I understand these Stevens were relatively simple. I can work my way around things with a set of tools. Do you think I would be able to replace it myself?

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The term you are looking for is PIERCED primer. An old, damaged FP can definately cause this. Replace it

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Hot gasses in your face is not something to mess around with. This can be serious. Get it fixed...even if you have to pay a gunsmith. Don't shoot it until it is repaired.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It should be easy enough to remove the firing pin and smooth the end of it. Careful not to shorten it, just round off the end.

7. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

It's a very jagged piece. I don't believe I could smooth it without shortening it.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You have nothing to lose by trying. Like stated above it probably should not be used as is. If you shorten it it may still work fine. It does not have to be perfect just not sharp like a nail.

9. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Okay guys, i'm sorry to be such a bother, but I need some help once again. I took off the stock, took the action and everything apart, filed down the firing pin similar to how the other one is. The problem is putting it back together. I've got the hammers in place along with the springs, and I also have the rest of the trigger mechanism (not sure on the exact name) on it. The problem is that I have locked the swivels on the front that would allow the forearm to attach, and I have locked the firing pins into the position they would be at after it has been shot. I see where the pieces should go, I just don't know how to fix it. Anyone have an idea? I'll link a picture below to try and point out some of the parts I was talking about.

One last thing, I don't know how descriptive I was (if I was at all) so if anything needs clarifying, please just let me know. Thanks again

Attached Files:

10. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 on that ...

FK