Poor Customer Support from Rock River

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Flint Rock, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

This weekend I had a chance to attend a class with Frank Proctor, www.wayofthegun.us I must say that Frank is the finest instructor I have ever had. He is also willing to travel around the country to any range that will host him. Enough said about Frank, this post is about my Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2. About 100 rounds into the class my bolt refused to go into battery and I was forced to switch guns. At lunch I had a chance to break down the Rock River to see what the problem was. Well, a tee tiny piece of the buffer tube had snapped off and allowed the buffer retaining pin and spring to move upward and freeze up the bolt carrier. Once I got the rifle home I disassembled the gun and filed just enough off the buffer tube so that I could screw it one more turn into the lower receiver. That made up for the small piece that snapped off. I called Rock River and asked them to send me the $4 worth of parts under warranty. They said no. They want me to pay to ship the rifle back so they can put $4 worth of parts in it. Rock River claims a lifetime warranty, but they aren't stepping up for a $4 fix. I could see their point if I was wanting a new chrome bolt, but $4 worth of small parts! Come on man!

2. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

you need to speak to a supervisor. don't let that s!-!it slide.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you took a file to the tube you are sol if you ship the rifle. You have "modified" it which voids the warranty. Sorry
    You can spend the time and money to ship it but if they won't pony up a $4 part they will refuse your warranty if they notice what you did.
    Best of luck to you. I recommend just buying the parts yourself.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Exactly.

So, where's that $4 buffer tube?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah good luck on that. Lol

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

The buffer retaining pin and spring is about $4. I don't need a new buffer tube. The filing that seems to cause some people concern is about 3 strokes with a fine flat file. That's all it takes to be able to to complete one more turn of the buffer tube. After talking with others in my department, I found out three others had had the same thing happen at one time or another. Two performed the same fix as me without any issues. One paid a local gunsmith, to do the same thing!
    I have spare parts and tools to be able to fix my AR as needed. That said, I expect Rock River to work with a customer to solve issues. Mailing me $4 worth of small parts is not asking too much. There cost of those parts is probably half that. Rock River pays the postage to mail me full color catalogs every year wanting me to buy a new gun, but won't buy a stamp to take care of an "old" gun:confused:.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I would send the Rock River CEO a printout of this thread.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got some rock river stuff. Its nothing i would run hard and put away wet. I like their accuracy builds. I dont use my rra guns in any hard and fast fashion.

Different companies have different ways of doing things. Some will just send you what you need (rare) others want you to return the gun and you pay both ways. Others split the cost some pay both ways (rare).

Looking at return and warranty policies are important if its something that matters to you.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm literally down the street from Rock River, I have a dealer direct account and I still can't get answers from them. Good luck, they definitely lack good customer service.

10. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Sounds like you got an entry-level telephone answerer rather than a customer service representative.

I have a RRA Entry Tactical that I've been very pleased with, and haven't found the need to deal with their customer service.

Too bad you didn't get some reasonable effort from them. They have probably lost 100 times the minor expense to them of serving you from people that have and will read this thread.

Vincine has the right idea. Be sure someone higher up at RRA sees this thread.

And be sure to give them credit here if they step up and make it right, too.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I do understand why they want to see it even if it is a small part , they want to see what caused the problem so if its a concern with other rifles they can see what went wrong , why and how and how to make sure it doesnt happen again . yes its a PITA to send it and wait to get it back , but I would have suggested they pay the shipping both ways .
    I just sent a handgun back to S&W for a broken striker and they want me to send it to them to check for the reasons I just mentioned. Yes it is a simple 2 min fix I could have done myself but they do not send out strikers on a few of their models . No questions asked they sent a freight prepaid pick up tag all I had to do was put it in the original case and box it up and call fed ex for a pick up . They also stated they were going to change out the extractor and spring and do a routine maintenance on it while they had it . See ya in 2 weeks :D

12. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

This is a good point. They likely analyze failures and implement corrective actions as part of a continuous improvement program. They should have offered to cover shipping both ways though.

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

To get a printable view, click 'Thread Tools'. It's on the same blue bar as 'View First Unread'.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I believe the OP is raising a stink about nothing.
    Not many companies are going to send you parts to fix there product if it's under warranty,no matter how small the problem is.
    If it's only $4 worth of parts,I'd just fix it myself and be happy.
    Trying to trash RRA on the net over a buffer tube plunger and spring seems a little childish to me.

A warranty is for them to fix it,not for them to send you parts to fix it yourself.

15. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Gee Txhillbilly, I didn't realize that I had trashed RRA! I reread my post and other comments and didn't see any trash. I didn't see a single negative comment about RRA products. Maybe you should read more careful. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully when you talk about people. It hurts my feelings that a close friend would call me "childish". You must be a close friend to have formed such an opinion of me, because no self respecting individual would make such a statement about someone they didn't know, or had never even met.
    FYI.....I called S&W and asked what they would do in this situation. Surprise, they said they would send me the parts (I have a S&W M&P TS).
    FYI.....I called Daniel Defense and asked what they would do in this situation. Surprise, they said they would send me the parts (I have a DD V5LW).
    Maybe there is some value to open discussion of a companies service, but such "childish" discussion is of no interest to you.

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I wonder if they want to fix it under warranty to protect themselves from any liability.
    When in doubt, blame the lawyers!

17. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Very good point, indeed. However, if that is their policy, it should have been explained as such when the OP contacted them, and, as you suggested, make it easy for the customer and pay shipping both ways.

18. mrbgar

mrbgar New Member

Rock River Poor Customer Service

In November of 2015 I purchased an Rock River AR pistol from a gun shop on gunbroker.com. The pistol was advertised as new in the box and had never been fired. When I received the pistol it was new and showed no signs of use. After finally putting all the extras (sling, angled fore grip, sights, etc.). No alterations were made to the weapon. I decided to take it out to the range and sight it in. I'm a 19 year veteran of a municipal police department in Oklahoma and a certified firearms instructor. I fired a round off but the spent casing did not extract. I tried this two more times and and the bolt never would go back and extract the spent round. There also happened to be several other instructors/AR armorers at the range. I had several of them take a look at the pistol and the general consensus was there was some type of obstruction or multIfunction in the gas tube.

Today, I called Rock River and informed the receptionist of my issue and she connected me to an individual named Randy. I explained the situation to him and he became very defensive and basically told me I was sol since I was not the original purchaser and basically there was no way that something could be defective on the pistol and it most likely something I did. I did not know the warranty was not transferable so I take responsibility for that. This guy was rude and a complete jerk. Well he then asks me if I had ever previously purchased a weapon from Rock River. I told him no and based upon my conversation with him I doubted I will ever purchase another item from Rock River. This guy starts raising his voice at me and started talking crap to me. I told him I wanted to speak to his supervisor. He said I wasn't talking to a supervisor and then he hung up on me. WTH????

I called back and spoke to the general sales manager, Ulonda, who was very polite and took my information and said she was passing the information on to the general manager and he would contact me. I did receive a telephone call from an individual named Steve who said he was the manager over the law enforcement sales. Basically, Steve could care less how his employee acted and he just wanted to make sure I got an RMA# from the other sales manager.

Let me be clear, I wasn't expecting any special service, but some empathy and courtesy would have been nice. Based upon my experience I will never purchase another item from RR. I also have many friends and colleagues, in law enforcement, who purchase weapons personally or for their department. You can bet that I'm going to contact every single one of them and tell them not to buy from RR because their customer service sucks and they are nothing but arrogant and rude. And in my line of work, word travels very fast.

19. samnev

samnev New Member

I have the RR Operator Elite and while I haven't had a problem based on what I am reading about their customer service i'll not be purchasing their ATH I was considering.