Pontiac Muscle Car Thread!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Axxe55, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Pontiac was a big part of the muscle car era and though the name died out in 2010 from a company that began in 1926.

so post your Pontiac cars and stories here on this thread. as long as there are enthusiasts of the brand, it will live on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My wife owned 4 , and only drove Pontiac for 20 years. When we met, she had a Grand Am in Silver( in 2001, she was driving a Y2K) in 03 she got one in black( a Grand Am GT), and in 07 she got a G6GT. Before she met me she had a sunfire...then after GM's crash they were reluctant to extend credit to folks an were not even doing consumer leases for awhile, that's when we switched to Ford, with a blue 2007 Focus 4Dr. And then in Dec. of 11 we got the 12 Escape...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My first car was a minty '64 Bonneville Convertible Coupe.

Think GTO with all the power options.

Had two speeds:

1.-Very fast

2.-Time travel- which was like flushing the toilet- took four or five gallons.

You could literally run and gun off a full tank in a couple hours. Of course,

gas was less than a buck a gallon back then...

4. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

IN 69 my moms car was a 1969 Grad Prix Model J with the 428 HO motor and the 400 turbo automatic tranny. That was one Bad azz M'FER. For a grocery getter

5. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Did it look like this? If so, that's a B.A. grocery gitter :)

Attached Files:

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You can thank John Z. For that... Until then it was GM's "old lady car division" :p

7. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I remember a 61 Pontiac I drove a lot back when I was 18, The year was 1970 and the car belonged to a friend of mine. He always wanted to trade it for my bike for a day or 2. That was my introduction to a Pontiac. It had a lot of power but couldn't pass a gas station. I remember having the speedo past the end by a long shot, I must have been doing around 130 at the time. Of course back then their wasn't hardly any of the traffic like their is now days. It was white like this one. And it was one bad car.

Attached Files:

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

One of my all time favs. Never owned one.:mad:

Attached Files:

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

When I was 19 I think, I had a 61 Tempest Coupe, it was a bad azz little car !......It had the (Trophy 4 or Indy 4) which one you wanted to call it. It had the 195 ci L4 with a 4 barrel, making about 170 or 180 HP & over 220 lb. ft. of torque at around 4500 R`s with a 4 speed in the floor it was pretty bad ars...............

10. Axxe55

i am into Trans Ams, and Formulas big time and have owned quite a few over the years.

now, the first generation Trans Ams were a huge hit and due to the low number of those being made in 1969, they are highly desired today.

689 T/A coupes and 8 T/A convertibles made in 1969. of those 8 convertibles, 4 were automatics, and 4 were manuals. which makes the convertibles the rare ones of a low production to begin with.

http://firstgenfirebirds.wordpress.com/67-69-firebird-history/1969-firebird/

Attached Files:

11. Mercator

Mercator New Member

My first car was a '74 LeMans that looked almost exactly like this. The engine was "merely" 350 cu.in. Friends called it bluesmobile and something-else-I can't-say-here-mobile.

12. Axxe55

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Great idea for a thread, Axxe55!

It was love at first sight when I, as a 13-year old, saw the first 1961 Pontiacs. (Thanks for the great pictures, Airborne1.) Then the '61 Ponchos tore up NASCAR which made me a huge fan. I worked at my father's gas station and drooled every time a new Pontiac pulled in!

Then the 1962s blew me away. I still think the '62 Bonneville is the best looking large car. The '62 Grand Prix is my #2. And again the '62 Catalinas wiped out Ford, Chevy and Plymouth with more NASCAR wins. After I got out of the Army I bought a couple '62 Bonnevilles.

The '63 Bonnevilles and Grand Prixs were great looking too. Then in '64 the GTOs took over! Then the Firebirds. What a golden era for Pontiac!

Here're a few pics of '62 Bonnevilles:

[​IMG]

This one has Idaho plates!

[​IMG]

I had a 2-door hardtop the same color and interior as this convertible. The top was white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Arizona sun faded out the metallic blue I had the car painted Polar White and it looked much like this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the '62 Grand Prix (the first year for the GP)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  14. LoniJo

LoniJo New Member

Muscle cars.....Makes this girls heart beat a bit faster......sigh.

15. Axxe55

i see you and i have similiar tastes in Pontiacs! :D

i love the early to mid 1960's full size Pontiacs.

and some of the factory Super Duty cars from that same era were really cool cars.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

We sure do! And speaking of Super Dutys, here's Fireball Roberts' '62 Catalina that won the Daytona 500. That day Richard Petty got pretty tired of seeing the rear end of that Pontiac!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  17. TLuker

TLuker New Member

A neighbor had a white one with a black rag top and I loved that car. That is one of the few cars I have ever really wanted, and I still want one to this day!

And this is the car I learned to drive in:

Pontiac.jpg

It's a 76 Grand Prix. I was 12 and I used to drive my step dad to the liquor store in it. It was definitely safer with a 12 year old driving than it was for Louis to be driving! :eek: I remember seeing the city police once and Louis panicking. I told him not to worry that I wasn't even up to 50 yet. He said " yea, but the speed limit is 30!" Those were good times. :)

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You keeping it shiny!

19. Axxe55

the 1969-1972 Grand Prixs were designed as a sporty luxury model. performance with lots of amenities.

of the several Grand Prixs i have owned, one of my favorites was the 1970 model black with a black interios, very similiar to the one Stratrider posted a picture of. mine had the 400 CI engine and TH400 transmission, bucket seats, console and a console shifter. it wasn't the fastest car on take-off, but it sure didn't have any problems getting down the highway in a hurry!

a feature i have seen on several of those year model GP's were and opera window in the quarter panel pillars. i don't know if this was a factory option, as i haven't found any conclusive proof that it was. maybe a dealer installed option, maybe.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Will they post their SUV one day, bragging bout the cubic footage... Will a girls heart beat faster looking at a Trailblazer... Not gonna happen :)

It was about the SQUARE YARDAGE! :D