polymer handgun era

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jjones45, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

When I first got interested in handguns all I wanted was a 1911 and beretta 92fs. After I acquired those I said what the heck I will try a glock and see what all the plastic gun hype is about. Ive never stopped buying polymer guns ever since. I though about it the other day and realized that 5 out of my last 6 handgun purchases have been polymer. My next will probably be a p09 duty so that will be 6 out of 7. I personally prefer plastic guns do to weight and capacity. And now that everyone is making reliable polymer guns there is no limit to how many I might own when its said and done. this is the evolution of handguns. some don't like it but I do. Now I still love my good ole 1911's and sig p series weapons but right now polymer guns have my attention. does anybody else feel this way?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

What you say about those black plastic guns is true. They work well, many I have shot were at least equal in accuracy, they are lighter, and many have larger capacity magazines. But some are like me. Though I have the ability to shoot them accurately I detest the triggers on every one I have shot. Also I want blued steel for all my guns. If I pistol whip someone I do not want my gun to bounce off their head, I want it to put a dent in their head.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

not about poly pistols.

what i DO like and seem to be collecting a lot of are very good ccw pistols. somy are poly some aluminum some steel but all are geared towards ccw.

4. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Blued steel makes for a pretty handgun and blunt force of an all steel handgun provides an effective pistol whipping, I can't argue that lol. Right now though Im just in the plastic gun mood I guess. I do have both so im not knocking all steel, but my collection has become mostly plastic as the all steel is now in the minority in my home

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Anymore I simply buy something I don't currently have. Though I don't have a great interest in poly frame pistols I would like a FNP or FNX.
    I usually lean to alloy frames when looking to lose some weight.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I carry a 1911 every day. Of all the poy guns that I've shot, I do like the xd's. Can't stand the glocks. I got a chance to shoot one of those springfield single stack compact 45's and it actually was pleasant to shoot and very accurate.

7. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Yeah ccw pistols are also at an all time high and demand. Would you agree that MOST of those are plastic as well? Weight is definitely the reason for that

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

a great portion are poly but....

when you refine it to great carry guns the vast majority of those are aluminum framed versions of steel or fullsized guns.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have a couple plastic guns. Personally I prefer a steel and wood gun. The weight makes it feel like a real gun, not a toy.

I don't mind poly guns, but they're just not my favorite. I actually own more of them than I do steel guns right now, but that'll change in the future.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Around the turn of the 20th Century cast metal guns became the rage. Casting gun parts and frames cut cost and upped production. You see these historical failures stacked at gun shows. Today we don't see them as new and unique we call them junk. What will next generation call plastic pistols.:confused:

11. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Yeah with 1911's and revolvers
    You don't mind poly guns and they're not your favorite but you own more of them than steel guns? Things that make you go humm? Sounds like denial my friend, lol jk. I know exactly what you mean but I could only hope to break even one day as far as steel vs. Poly. Part of it is that poly guns are typically cheaper as well

12. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

The game changer

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I know its odd. I just started buying poly guns before I bought any steel guns. I thought they must be amazing and so much better because they're new and blah blah blah. Again, I don't mind them, but I've definitely had a much better time with every steel gun I've shot I'm the last year or so.

The only reason I haven't bought more steel ones is because of money. All of our biggest impediment to buying every gun we want.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

polymer guns have their place. very reliable, lighter weight, higher capicity, decently accurate and cheaper to produce in larger numbers. they are more resistant to weather, sweat and just don't require the same attention as steel pistols do.

i don't get the same emotional attachment to my polymer pistols like i do my steel ones, but they have a place and function that i feel they fit into. they don't have the same beauty we find that many of our steel pistols do, but they do the job they were designed to do with not much fanfare and drama. they just do what needs to be done and go on about business.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

AXX, That is what they said about the Edsel.:D

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

they were a flop then, but can command premium prices now from collectors!:D

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yep and Ford will Damn sure never build another one.:D

18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

My first edc was a Ruger Security-Six. At the time it was a light weight option.
    Now I carry a Sig P239 9mm.
    I love em all. I hang onto the wood and steel, but I'll still snatch up polymers.
    They're all machines, the joy is in the mechanics but the beauty, ah, that's the wood and the artists detail to metal finishing.

19. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I plan to buy 4 more steel guns in the future, but the number of polymer guns that I want is unlimited. They just keep making more and more awesome pistols.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree 100%. I now carry a Glock because it does the job well, is light and easy to replace if needed. My steel pistols tend to do the job too but are heavy and I'd rather not lose one.