Polymer frame vs. Alloy frame

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by broke-again124, Oct 9, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Reliability and all things considered for ccw, which would you prefer and why?

2. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

there is no debate here. for ccw, polymer. period. they're plenty reliable and durable. Glock, sig, xd/xdm, etc. And there's not a alloy frame on the planet that can match them for weight.

for anything other than ccw, then you have a debate.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As much as i'm not big on "plastic" gun i pretty much agree for the most part for most folk-
    Hell, i have a plastic gun for my "truck" gun-
    But personaly when I carry I got steel on my hip (AKA-1911) ;)

4. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Can't argue with those replies. Not one bit. Thanks

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

For me, I carry polymer. It's all about the weight to me and polymer frames are more than proven.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Alloy 3" 1911. Fit makes weight less important.

7. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Alloy. It may weigh more but it has less recoil in case you want to use it at the range very often, and as stated earlier with a properly fitting holster it shouldn't matter all that much. And holding onto metal just feels better.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I've heard really good thing about the XD-S. It's really thin and you can get it in 45.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

the triggers suck even by double action only standards. i strongly suggest handling one in person first. SA does have 7 round mags for em now tho

10. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i like combat tupperware my self
    light weight and sweety pockets cant rust plastic

keltec p32 32acp
    kelteck p11 9mm luger

11. smithkowitz

smithkowitz New Member

My first gun was a polymer M&P9 Full Size, then a compact 9. Then I bought a 3" 1911. Later I bought a Kahr MK40. Then I decided to buy an LCP 380. What do I usually carry . . . either the 3"1911, the MK40 or my new 4" Steel 1911. I'm looking to pickup an M&P Shield in 40S&W, then I might finally pack a polymer. I have to agree with some others who said the steel might weigh more, but I can have a smaller package with more power, and experience less felt recoil with my steel guns. My Kahr MK40 may be the most accurate weapon I own or that I have shot. In addition, outside of an LCP size gun, you would be hard pressed to find something as powerful that small. There might be a couple out there, but the ones I've seen cost more and I am not sure if there is anything larger than a 9mm Rohrbaugh $1000!, just slightly smaller than the MK40, but cost at least $200 to $350 more depending on the sights.The Solo & LC9 are only 9mm of course, the Solo is finicky and the LC9 no where near as accurate nor as comfortable in my opinion and it's still larger than the MK40. Sure they're lighter, but not a whole lot. I like cold hard steel, liking revolvers more all the time too out of steel, not Scandium.

12. willerfortheworld

willerfortheworld New Member

It's all about alloy, sorry but plastic is for female pleasure toys not handguns.

Cz p01 ftw

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I mention i had one in my truck- Its a P-11 :)

14. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Is that just the XD-S? I have an XD 45 Tactical and I like the trigger on it.

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

How does it compare with the 1911 trigger. I thought the XDxx's were ok, but not good or great. I am not sure that I would like an Alloy XD or an Alloy Glock. Turns out, at least to me, there is more to this than poly-alloy.

ha..A three inch .45 in 1911 alloy frame ! I don't even remove it when I weigh in at the Doctor's office. It's not enough to make a difference.

16. guncollector

guncollector New Member

i've seen far too many alloy framed 45's come into the shop cracked for this reason i would go with polymer . it's a shame too because for less than 5 bucks these could of been saved with a shok buffer.

17. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I like a 1911 trigger better, depending on what brand it is. The XD trigger has a tiny bit of squish to it but the reset is nice and short. I love my XD though.

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My brother in law brings his XD .45 ACP over for a backyard shoot.
    I will admit that I would consider an XD 'the other .45'

He has an XDs on order, hope he shows up with it soon so I can try it.

My hands aren't big enough for them big ole double stacks.

But to the original poster: looks like it is 100% one way or the other.
    I think you are good to go with either.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I noticed an article that says to use these for practice and remove when cleaning before carry.

I carry all the time and seldom clean mine. :eek:

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yes. Its like the xds is a totally different gun and just loosely resembles the xd/m

Ive got an xdm and the trigger is pretty good for a combat handgun