Polymer AR-15 lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bigrock44, May 17, 2012.

1. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

Have been looking into purchasing a polymer AR-15 lower. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I see that they are priced really great, just want another opinion.

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I'd rather use a styrofoam condom. The polymer lowers have a long way to go to get to where some of us will buy them. Spend a bit more and get the aluminum.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Not a fan here either.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

polymer ar15 lowers arent the same as polymer pistol frames. there are longer straight lines that lack substantial re-enforcement. wear points are at the receiver extension area where a LOT more force than you think happens, the sear/trigger/hammer pin holes are also areas that wear even in aluminum receivers. when a poly receiver fails its usually at the receiver extension.

if they had some extra strength in those areas they would prolly be worth taking a look. do yourself a favor and skip em till the technique is improved

5. Fixer

Fixer New Member

The only one I am trusting right now is the Navada New frontier Armory one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEAYW_2y4VU[/ame]

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Id buy one, if I didn't already have a couple of strippers just collecting dust atm.

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I agree but would still like to see them give more attention to the rear of the receiver. It also looks like they collapsed the stock before throwing it. Alos when they used it as a step they put the weight more toward the front of the receiver. He stepped on the barrel nut. It almost seems like they were protecting the area where the receiver extension attached.

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

If someone wants to run a torture test, give it to someone who is going to really abuse it.

9. Fixer

Fixer New Member

There is no way Polymer can stand up against 7075T6 or even 6061T6. They are showing that the lower will stand up to normal abuse from what is normal to happen to a rifle in use.

You can fire it 50K times without worry
    You can drop it without worry
    You can drop it real far without worry
    You can subject it to extreme pressure without worry

Can you do all the same things to the extent you can with a metal AR15...No.

You need to decide if you NEED that or will what a polymer lower do is fine for you. The weight savings of a polymer rifle is appealing to many.

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I'd love to do it. I'm actually thinking of getting one for personal use. However breaking my own stuff isn't high on my list. Someone send me one.

Will the thing stand up to a firm butt stroke? That's normal use for some. Hell some use their extension to do all sorts of thing during normal use. For some people using it as a bat or busting locks is normal. I broke some fairly respectable welds on an AK during what I consider normal use. I have never done anything to any firearm it wasn't designed to do.

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Personally I would stick with forged or billet aluminum and to those that obsess about weight ...

a whopping 8oz difference :eek: ..... do some damned push ups! :p

12. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

The other concern? How much of that weight loss isn't the lower, but the parts in it? If someone is that worried about weight, get rid of some of the bling that they put on the rifle. I'll sacrifice the luxury items that I don't really need before I'll sacrifice a component I consider crucial.

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

New Frontier Armory is my fav LGS. Close to my home. They sell cheapest prices (online) but i'm not a fan of their polymer lowers. I will buy polymer lowers when i turn so old that i can't even hold alumunium lowers anymore. ;)

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I agree but if only it was that easy. A slung weapon will ware you down no matter how strong you are. I've seen dudes w/ huge shoulders bitching about how "heavy" their weapon was. 8oz is half a pound. Add a couple of those here and there and see how quickly the firearm looses it's maneuverability.

Even the Army makes weight a priority. The just did an overhaul of their 240s in order to lighten them up.

Smarter not Harder.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Big Rock!

In my opinion I have but one comment! NOT! :)

16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Had one; the mag well was too tight for a GI mag, so when I went to file it out, I made a mess of it. If you are worried about weight, look into a lighter barrel, or like Ben said, get rid of the bling.

17. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I mainly thought about the polymer lower as a training AR for my son simply because it was fairly inexpensive. I honestly like assembling my lowers myself, just so I know what is there and how to repair it if anything goes wrong.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have a Plum Crazy polymer lower mated to a PSA upper. I have not had enough rounds down range to tell you how it will hold up over time. But I can tell you the following...

Mag well is no problem. Magazines lock up solid.
    There is no slack between the lower and upper. They fit like a glove.
    The Plum Crazy trigger leaves a lot to be desired. It's crunchy, but I doubt much worse than any other stock trigger. It will be the first thing replaced.
    Safety will eventually be replaced, but it is not a priority.

I would buy it again. I figured that if it didn't work out, I'm not out much.

19. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I knew Glock was going to get in the AR business sooner or later, they are just under a different name..... Lol

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Polymer works in the Glock lower, we're still waiting for that kind of reliability/durability in the AR.