Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by indyfan, May 11, 2011.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I've been kickin around on what kind of full-size handgun to get. I decided on the M&P 45 but a friend told me if I was gonna go with a.45, that polymer wouldn't be the way to go.

Do polymer .45 acp handguns have more problems than the metal framed handguns?

Should I save some more and get a 1911?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not a fan of polymer frames in centerfire guns. they feel like plastic to me :)

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I think you should save some more money and get both.:D

I have the M&P 45 and never had a hiccup with it. Bang every time like a $2 hooker. And she holds more rounds than the 1911, so very good for defense and lighter to carry.

But I also have a 1911 in forty five and every gun guy should have one. A Classic, and great if you need to pistol whip someone. :eek:

I wouldn't give up either.

4. indyfan

indyfan New Member

How's the accuracy on that M&P 45?

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got an XD45 with thousands of rounds thru it and not a single issue. It was my first pistol and while I don't shoot it as often as some I can still shoot it well.

I've also got a Kimber and carry it regularly. It too has been reliable as a rock and is my weapon of choice for carry and range duty alike.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Better than I am. As good as my 1911s. But the trigger is not as good. As with most striker fired pistols the trigger has a long take up. And at first it was rough, but has smoothed out after a couple thousand rounds.

7. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Take this for what it is, my opinion, but you cannot go wrong with a good 1911. I have never shot a more accurate gun, I have never held anything that just fell so badass as a 1911. As soon as I got my first one in March, I cannot stop dreaming about a complete (if thats even possible) collection! Just my 2 cents.

8. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Here's my opinion, save up and get both. I think every gun enthusiast should have at least one 1911.
    Personally, I prefer a steel framed gun, but there's nothing wrong with polymer framed guns.
    I own two Glocks, (9mm) a Keltec, (.32) used to own a Sigma (.40) and haven't had any problems with any of them. I'm actually trying to save up for another 1911 AND an XD45:D

9. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

I have a Sigma now, and it is no problem at all. The trigger could be better but you get used to it and I am purely accurate with it. ALTHOUGH I would like to sell it and help fund the XD I want.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm not a fan of polymer frames either, I only have one in 9mm that's because it's so much lighter to carry. But for range trips and fun shooting, it's a steel frame all the way for this guy!

11. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Seems like everyone is giving a thumbs up for the 1911, the only problem is, can I get a good one for around $600?

This isn't gonna be a duty or carry gun, most likely range/home defense and maybe something I'll use for local competitions. I want to start training for 3 gun matches.

12. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

You can get a decent used one for that, but I do know I have seen some Para's for around 800, and some colts for around that as well.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have an XDm45 and sure do like it. I also used to have an XD45 compact. No complaints there either. And while I don't have any experience with M&P, I've been pretty impressed with the ones I've handled. If that's what you want, go for it. What I call the polymer "staples" (Glock, XD, M&P, and to a lesser extent FNP) are pretty great guns for the $400-700 you'll spend on them.

I would definitely say a nice ($600-1200) 1911 is a step above, as is a Sig P220. I don't own a 1911 and hope to fix that soon. My two favorite pistols are a CZ 75b and BHP, which by many accounts draw a ton of parallels (and owe a lot) to the 1911 platform. There's just a nice, pointable, sleek balance to them...which I've also noted in the 1911s I've handled and shot.

Polymer= Light weight, high capacity, utilitarian design.
    1911= Outstanding balance/handling, a bit heavy, limited capacity, classic design.

14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I may be crucified for this...but I actually prefer the polymer guns. I do like a good 1911 quite a bit. But I also prefer the 13 rounds my XD45 can hold to the 7 that my 1911 can hold. I'm thinking M&P .45 will be my next full size handgun.

15. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I am a fan of the 1911 platform and have 9 of them and I have the 4.5 inch barrel XDm-45. But I've got to tell ya I was always of the mind set that I would never own a tupperware gun, but was I wrong! The first thing I noticed shooting it was that is was surprisingly soft shooting, however the grip was small. I have odd bear-paw hands and I had to swap out the backstrap to the largest size at the range.

After the swap, the gun felt like my Colt Combat elite with the arched housing only thicker. I brought an assortment of Hollow Point ammo just in case it didn't like something. It shot Speer GD, Hornady XTP+P, and Corbon JHP+P just like it was FMJ ammo. And as for accuracy, well look at this target from 14 yards:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had it loaded to 13+1 and I can only see 11, maybe 12 holes. Which means that 2 to 3 rounds went through the same holes. I shot a total of 310 rounds of which 60 were hollow points and the rest were Magtech FMJ and Winchester FMJ (the light ones that look like JSWCs). After all that I was amazed at how soft shooting it was, It makes my Defender seem like a torture device.

Not a jam

I could not be happier with this gun.

16. WDB

WDB New Member

I've been CC a M&P 45 for six years. I'm on my second one, not because I wore out the first but because my son wanted it. Now we both CC a M&P 45. The only difference between the two is I had a trigger job done on mine and like the trigger even more, my son like the trigger as is. I chose the M&P because I wanted something a bit lighter than the Kimber I had been carrying. It isn't a 1911, the trigger takes practice to break in and to get use to but I am 100% confidant if needed this firearm will serve me well. I haven't had a single issue with my M&P's that I wouldn't of had with a steel frame. The only valid complaint I have heard about this pistol is "it isn't a 1911". No it isn't but has the attributes I like in a 1911 and took away those that I didn't care for IMHO.

17. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

not a fan of polymer in the .45
    I'll take polymer any day of the week for a light weight concealable 9mm/380 but in a 45 that stays in my truck or is used for home defense I'll take a steel frame 1911.
    I weigh 150lbs and live in a sub tropical climate so a 45 is out as far as cc goes for me but If I'm going to shoot a 45 I like something heavy and controllable.

18. dutchmaster

dutchmaster New Member

I own a Taurus PT145 .45acp. It's a Polymer frame .45 and I haven't had one problem with the gun. While I agree with the statement that everyone should own a 1911 .45acp, I don't because my PT145 fills my needs nicely! ;)

19. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

Have ever heard of Mr. Glock?

20. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I own a Glock already, I figure I'd give M&P a chance. It has a few more features than my 3rd gen and they're going for a great price right now.

I started this thread because I know 9mm and .40 work well in a polymer, but I've never fired a .45 ACP in polymer form. I was uncertain of its reliability until now, after reading all these replies, I'm pretty sure an M&P 45 will do me good.

As for people suggesting an XD or XDm, the sheriff's department I'm going to be working for later this year issues the XD40, so I figure I'll get my fill of XD then. ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2011