polly lower an carbon fiber upper ar15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Copeman60, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

One of my close friends bought hiself a ar15 for xmas an the gun felt like a toy. It was a bushmaster with a polly lower an cf upper. The plastic lower felt very cheap an weak. How does everyone feel about polly ar15s??

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have heard both good and bad about them. from a personal standpoint and preference, they do feel cheap and toylike. i will stick with an alloy version for myself. alloy makes me feel more secure in that it should last longer.

these are strictly my opinions and observations from my personal viewpoint.

YMMV.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Currently there are no "real" carbon fiber uppers or lowers, in the best structural sense of the term. All are a polymer that may have some random carbon fibers in the mix. Not the same type of structural integrity that woven and layered carbon fiber offers.

Polymer has its place in the firearms industry as evidenced by the many guns made that include polymers. The big difference in most modern polymer firearms and polymer AR15s is that the more current designs were intended to use polymer in their construction from the beginning. AR 15s were designed from the beginning to be made from aluminum. Using polymers with no change in dimensions and no re enforcement of thin or potential weak areas has shown a tendency to fail. Many receivers break near the threads are where the buffer tube attaches. Others have had failures at the pivot pin tabs. Uppers see splits in the rail or breaks in the threads where the barrel nut attaches.

For a light use or range use gun this is ok. I just wouldn't go abusing one.

4. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

One of my close friends bought hiself a ar15 for xmas an the gun felt like a toy. It was a bushmaster with a polly lower an cf upper. The plastic lower felt very cheap an weak. How does everyone feel about polly ar15s??

5. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Yea I definitely wouldn't abuse one

6. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

It's doesn't even seem like a real ar15!! Very light weight but doesn't feel right in the hands.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sorry to offend anyone but the best advise is if you have not yet purchased an AR stay away from them. You get what you pay for when speaking of a quality AR 15 regardless of what reputable manufacturer they are from. In regard to higher quality why do you think that Bushmaster built the Carbon AR-15 rifles? To catch the bottom end of the market range!;)

8. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Close this thread I posted it twice

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Threads have been merged

10. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I didn't know they did that

11. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Yes, I will admit I own one of these "low end of the market" AR's. Price was definitely a major contributing factor when making the purchase.
    I must say i have been nothing but impressed by the performance and reliability of the gun.
    I don't have 10,000 rounds through it yet or haven't put it through torture tests, but have not noticed any wear or problems at all.
    It has proved itself worthy of now sinking some money in it for some mods.....
    It will be my goto AR ..........until i decide to build me a lefty model