Polite Or Not?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

So this afternoon I stopped by the DMV office and the line was out the frigging door. As I was approaching the end of the line at my normal walking pace (I am 6' 4", so I cover a bit of ground rather quickly) this little pudgy dude waddles up as fast as he can just short of running and we arrive at the end of the line at exactly the same moment and both stand side-by-side in the next place until he says "Would you let me in this space here?" indicating the space between me and the next guy ahead of us.

I wait a couple of seconds, giving him plenty of opportunity, and then simply said "No."

He looks up at me (he was literally a foot or more shorter) and says "May I ask why not?"

I look down and say "You didn't say 'please'."

He then says "Please?"

Me: "Too late."

Him: "No room for compromise?"

Me: "None."

He then lights into this diatribe about courtesy and compromise, at least that was the gist of it and after a minute or two I stop him and say "I have to tell you, I am stone deaf in this ear and fortunately I cannot hear you." (this is quite true I might add. I am stone deaf in my right ear).

After a couple of minutes of silence he moves over to my left and says: "I am sorry that you are deaf in that ear."

I replied "Don't be. You had nothing to do with it."

At this point a gal came up (who had apparently been parking the car) and they start talking about how much BS it was that the line was so long, they even tried calling the 800 number to try and get an appointment while they were in line! (what a couple of douchebags!) and he kept trying to prod more out of me but I wasn't taking the bait at all.

all told we were in line about 20 minutes, and when I got to the counter my question for the DMV guy took him quite awhile to answer, he had to go in back and ask his supervisor about it and that took several minutes. When I got my answer I turned and left. Almost expected the little bugger to comment on how long I took but didn't.

Anyhow, I thought it was a funny exchange and yo'all might get a smile out of it.

Don't forget to say "please" and "thank you"!

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Stupid people man, stupid people....

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Polite

Good for you! :cool:

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If that guy was sooo worried about it, why didn't

he get there when the DMV opened?

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I didn't care enough to ask. It was at 3:30 in the afternoon when this happened.

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

He sounds like the type to not work for a living, expecting something from everyone. That is the "in" thing these days, isn't it?

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

That's quite an assumption based on the facts of the story.

I'm one of those people who hurry to get in line. Others dawdle and I am pretty assertive. However, I stop just short of "a**h***". I won't cut people off, I won't nudge, I don't give passive aggressive looks or sighs. Basically I stop just short of what I personally find annoying. I figure I should act in a manner I expect other people to.

On the other hand, I am easily amused and I think Vikingdad is much better behaved than I am because I would have spent the entire time needling that guy for my own amusement. As I said, I stop short of "a**h***" but I'm pretty comfortable in full blown jerk territory. The older I get the less tolerant I seem to be for other people's bull****.

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Ohhh Chit...............

LOL.............I had to report for jury duty, I got there before they had posted a sign on the door to wait in the hall. I sat thru the procedings of the defendants before the judge before court started. LOl. It changed the whole court for the day..........The defendants got the short end of the stick...........:D

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Sounds to me like there was no compromise to be made. You either gave the place in line up or not. It was your choose. He didn't satisfy you in his request and he got the answer you wished yo give. Maybe if he has offered a please that would have gave you something to consider. But you had to explain to him he didn't and he had no desire to do so. That 5to me is a feeling of entitlement. He felt entitles to the spot and probably will rant for days how you didn't bow down to his request. He didn't ask you he made a request in the form of a question. Like it was DMV Jeopardy or something. It sounded to me like he literally believed his time was more valuable than yours and got offended that you didn't realize it.

And what does it matter if your reason for being there cost the line 10 seconds or 30 minutes? Maybe th epeopel working should have been better trained, I can't say. But you had an issue and it doesn't matter to the rest of the line how long it took to get your business dealt with.

You did nothing wrong and I hope the whole issue gave him hard gas.:cool: It's people like him that make me wish you could but a fart in a can and you could spray it on offenders like that like pepper spray.:D Your opinion sticks spanky..so here!:D

10. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

That's the way it's always been.

We glorify the past in ways we ought not to. It only negates the struggle of providers past while not helping to form a solution.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would have done the same thing Vikingdad................

12. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

Good deal.The younger generation for the most part don't have any respect for other people.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

LOL! I actually, in that few seconds pause before I said "No", considered a different approach but sensed that the simple answer was best. And I did needle him somewhat. He called the DMV appointment number while we were still in line and said to his companion that they would call back in a half hour, then the couple in front of me laughed and tried calling the number, they got the same response and I said "I'll bet you that the wait for a return call is so long because half of the people calling that number at any given moment are standing in line at a DMV somewhere in the state and wasting the system's time."

When they got the return call a few minutes later they were surprised that the next available appointment was a few weeks away. Seriously.

I wryly asked "So, did you really expect that you were going to get an appointment that would move you forward in this line? That's pretty stupid." (these people were joking around with each other and with me, and were actually calling the number because of the douche guy behind be as a joke.) Then I suggested that they make the appointment for a few weeks down the road and then show up that day and auction it off to the highest bidder.

Anyhow, I was able to entertain myself a little bit.

14. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Were you smiling? ;)

15. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

In the 50's, this bumper sticker was seen all around Abilene, Tx -- COURTESY IS CONTAGIOUS. It's a shame that courtesy is just about a lost art way of life.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just the right amount....;)

17. orangello

orangello New Member

There are times when a strategic fart can be priceless, just sayin.

18. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

That reminds of the last cardinals baseball game I was at. In most stadiums you have to exit through those tiny hallways between each section to get to the outer walkways. Well somebody had crop dusted one of those hallways at the end of the game as EVERYBODY was leaving. I was choking and laughing at the same time. That was the most strategically placed fart i have ever encountered.

19. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

LOL seems the DMV has always been a magnet for sub-human dwellers. I can just imagine what it's like to work there....:eek:

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I have considered trying to pass myself off as catholic to stink up the confessional, preferably right before my sister went in.