Polishing the feed ramp

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Don Davis, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I have several automatic handguns and I want to polish their feed ramps.

I know how to break each gun down, so that's not the advise I need.

Can anyone tell me what to use and the steps that they take to do a good job of feed ramp polishing?

i.e. do you use a dremel tool or do it by hand - what grain wet / dry sand paper do you use (or do you use wet / dry sand paper at all)

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Unless you are an experienced gunsmith - never bring a Dremel into the same room as your guns. Are you having problems with your guns?

3. tekarra

tekarra New Member

I have polished several ramps by hand using crocus cloth. Work it a bit, then stop and have a look. I concur that a Dremel tool should be kept in its case when doing the polishing.

4. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

No sandpaper, period. I do use a Dremel tool on mine. I use a felt buffing wheel with jewelers rouge and it is next to impossible to remove metal with that combination. Just polish to a high shine.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Don....IMO you need to listen to what Dave is telling you here!

6. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Also known as.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

7. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

+1 This has worked for me on several semi-autos. :D

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Contractors, artists, and anyone who does a lot of drawing (I'm a landscaper)are familiar with electric erasers. It's basically a Dremel tool that takes an insert composed of.....eraser. You can find them at most art stores. They work exceptionally well for polishing out machine marks, built-up residue, and what-have-you. For serious defects, jeweler's supply stores have somewhat more abrasive tools which fit the Dremel, but anything with has a small chuck will hold them.
    [​IMG]

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

This works a lot faster:p
    industrial-metal-grinder.jpg

I've used a little flitz metal polish on a q-tip for some light polishing of internal parts. I don't trust myself to do much heavier removal. Thats what my 'smith is for.
    As impatient as I am, I'd end up using the above tool:rolleyes:

10. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

lonyaeger

Which one is "Dave" ?

11. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

NGIB is who Lon was referring to

12. druryj

druryj New Member

I concur with this advice, unless you're a 'smith: "Step away from the Dremel".

13. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I've polished feed ramps on mine with a dremel tool-but then,I'm a mechanic,and was doing it under the supervision of my friend,who is a master mechanic and a skilled gunsmith.

We used the jewelers rouge and buffing wheel.

You can do it yourself-but I think the best advice I can give is that you should really find someone who knows what they're doing to show you how to do it right before you try.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  14. birdzman

birdzman New Member

I have polished the feed ramp on every auto I have, from the Colt Gold Cup to the Rohrbaugh R9s. A mirror finished feedramp is slicker than oil on ice, and aids greatly in feeding and reliability.
    But I spent nine years working for an Aerospace contractor, doing assembly work, and deburring and polishing parts that were for the F-15s,
    Sikorsky helicopters, even the space shuttle.
    Using a felt buff on a Dremel with a polishing compound or jewelers rouge will not cut the metal (as stated by greenjeans) and can produce a mirror finish. DO NOT use anything more abrasive, no sand paper drums or cratex rubberized wheels.
    If your at all uncomfortable or have second thoughts about doing it, Don't, take it to a qualified smith and pay for the piece of mind.

John

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

NGIB is correct. The only time a feed ramp should be polished, is if you are having trouble with ammo feeding. Try the ammo of your choice first, then polish as required.