polishing stainless revolver?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by cgersty, Feb 5, 2013.

1. cgersty

cgersty New Member

What do you use? And let's see some before and after pics, just got a sw chief special and it has a matte look to the stainless, I would like to put a mirror finish on it, I think it looks classier.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a lot of people use Flitz to polish them. i have seen some good results from people that have here on the forum. some Flitz, a soft cloth and a little elbow grease!

3. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I was thinking of flitz, but didn't want to use anything that would mess it up! Thanks.

4. Axxe55

personally i have never used it, but have seen several done using it here on the forum, and the results are awesome. it's very mildly abrasive polish. the one thing about SS is there isn't any finish to remove because it's the base metal and finish.

5. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I'm gonna pick some flitz up and get to it, I will post pics when I'm done with it! Thanks for the info!

6. Axxe55

your welcome!:D

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I use one of those lead removal cloths from Birchwood Casey. Got it to clean powder residue from the cylinder face and found it to work on the whole shootin iron.

8. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Simichrome polish is better than Flitz. If you are going to buy polish, go ahead and buy the best.

9. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

I've always liked mothers mag. Flitz is good but personally I've gotten better results with mothers mag and some spare time.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Ditto what 25-5 said...BC also makes a polishing cloth too but I have yet to try it out...

Attached Files:

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have one of those lead cloths. It'll take the lead off it but it won't polish a stainless steel gun to a bright shine like I've seen on here.

12. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I picked up a lead cleaning cloth for the cylinder burns, and am gonna hit it with some polish this weekend when I have some extra time. I will post before and after pics.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

In the end you will be happier with the matte finish. I know a high shine finish looks really cool. But the shine is a real ***** when shooting in the sun. Even the light of a high intensity flashlight can be annoying with a high shine finish.

14. cgersty

cgersty New Member

That's a good point, I may just wipe it with the lead remover cloth and leave it as is, its in really good shape, and on my property we are usually shooting in the sun. Thanks for the advice!

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's what I use the lead cleaning cloth for. It takes the burns off the cylinder and the inside of the frame where the cylinder tucks in. I LOVE my stainless steel revolver.

16. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I used some flitz and shined it up a bit, didn't put a mirror finish on it just a little shine.

ForumRunner_20130220_205052.jpg