Polishing My Barrel

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JoshH, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JoshH

JoshH New Member

O as the pics show my barrel has some wear on it after putting about 1000 rounds through my Springer A1. I would like to possibly polish the barrel to a nice silver shine. My question is should I? And what's the best way to do it? Will it have any effect on the durability or function of the weapon?

Attached Files:

2. testarija

testarija New Member

The same happened to my Beretta barrel... There's a few youtube videos that will illustrate it for you. I've put about 1000 rounds since I polished the barrel and don't notice any effect on the durability or function of the weapon. I see you have a stainless steel guide rod so I recommend doing it; it'll look good.

Here is how I did it. Submerge it in vinegar for about 8 to 10 hours. That’s right; vinegar. After that, wash it with soap. With some 2K sandpaper, start sanding until you remove all the black coat off. It will actually look polished when you’re done. Afterwards, rub it down with some Mothers Polish and use a Dremel buffing pad. At this point, you should be happy with the results. If not, use a buffing wheel.

Attached Files:

3. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Yea buddy! That looks great! I'll give it a whirl. Has anyone used flitz? I have heard its a good polish.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

That does look nice, but is it rust resistant now without the coating, or do you simply keep it oiled.

Nice thread title by the way; i LOL'd.

5. JoshH

JoshH New Member

My question exactly!!??

6. testarija

testarija New Member

thanks... well, that's probably the only downfall. it will not hold up against rust as well as a coated one. It's been about 5 months since and I don't notice any rust at all. and yes, i do keep it a little oiled. as long as you keep it stored properly, i doubt the rust will ever affect it.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder about some kind of "clearcoat" for barrels? It would be cool if there were something more permanent than oil; maybe something that would lower friction too like that cerakote stuff but clear.

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Will polishing a bushing less bull barrel on a 1911 effect it negatively?

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It will make it look like a firearm that has not been used and make the owner look like someone who does not practice.

If you want a shiny barrel, go stainless.
    Any additional coating could cause jams (paint or clearcoat gumming up, the barrel gets a little warm during shooting).
    Polishing the current coating could cause looseness in the lockup and bushing area if done over-zealously.

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Thanks for the info Dan. I'll leave it alone.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Remember this; polishing (anything) means removing material so as to smooth the surface and reflect light without scatter.

Key words; removing material

Is your gun running currently? Does the gun's accuracy meet your needs?

If yes to both, there is NO reason for "removing material" and should be left alone.

If no, you got bigger issues than vanity.

I will share with you my well/over used mantra; "Never change a running assembly." What's to gain?

This also applies to the bushing/barrel interface on guns so equipped.

I see no contraindication to polishing the chamber area where visiable in the ejection port but stay away from the locking lugs and bushing contact areas.

AND; if it's a carbon steel barrel, it will rust. I guess that is a contraindication. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Um.....aaaaa....the title...ummm...I guess my barrel has been polished a few times with no ill effects:)

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It says barrel, not helmet. :eek:

14. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

What I have done in the past, is touch up with cold bluing. Practice, and after a while you get pretty darn good at it. It blends in.
    If you saw my posting (with photos) about "my 100 year old shotgun" I re-blued the entire shotgun by touching up where needed.

15. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I was refering to mining, not football...thank you very little:rolleyes:
    Given that your barrel has been protected corectly, repeated polishings should perform well if too much pressure has not been applied.:D

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This probably going to sound a little girly, but Mother's, and

any high percentage Carnuba Wax draws bugs. (flies and gnats)

So you may want to consider a synthetic or petroleum based wax,

especially if you live in the south.

17. GunHo

GunHo New Member

I polished the barrel on two of my guns and absolutely no negative affect. If anything, it improved the action, but it's probably just me. hey, if a little bling improves my accuracy, then so be it.

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I wanted to experiment with my block, jsimion423 polished the barrel and slide. The job turned out great,made it look a little better :)

20120319_141328-1.jpg

Attached Files:

19. JoshH

JoshH New Member

MrWray did you just insert a Glock into my 1911 thread?!? SMDH!! ;) and Cane I guess I have to agree with you, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll be leaving my Springer alone for now, I have already polished my feed ramp and she's smooth as butter now but I'll leave it at that.