polishing feed ramp

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by urquidez, Feb 13, 2013.

1. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Hello.... what can i use to polish the feed ramp on my ruger sr9c i just got to make it feed better ty in advance

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Soft cotton cloth wrapped around finger tip, and Flitz metal polish.

3. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Were can i buy flitz polish at

4. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Anything else i can use that i dont have to order online

5. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Cant find flitz any were around here

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

is it having feed issues now??

if it is not having any problems i would leave it alone. polishing a working gun can turn a 100% reliable working firearm into a jam-o-matic. the only reason to make such changes is to try and fix a problem weapon.

polishing removes metal and changes feed angles and should not be done to a working firearm.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There are many things similar to Flitz. "Semi-chrome polish" is one. Go to your local auto parts store and ask for Flitz they will have it or something like it. Or use toothpaste. Or leave the ramp alone.

8. urquidez

urquidez New Member

It not realy a problem ..well it feels like it feeds kind of rough not as smooth as my other firearms more when i pull back on the slide and chamber the first round

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have used Blue Magic Metal Polishing Cream. I just went to a auto parts place and bought it. If you have an autozone, napa or anything you'll probably find something that will do the same thing. No it's not made specifically for guns, but steel is steel. good luck

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have to agree with JonM on this.
    Are you having 100% feeding now?
    Then how can you make it better?

Are you sure it is the feed ramp and not the Frame/Slide fit?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  11. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

The old adage "if it works don't mess with it", applies in this case. I had a friend polish a feed ramp and started having feed issues. I have done a couple with mothers mag and aluminum polish.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Small autoloaders often feel rough when chambering a round. Its got everything to do with frame to barrel to magazine to bullet angle as it sits in the magazine orientations. Polishing a feed ramp isnt going to change that clunky feeding thing small autoloaders have.

13. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Ok thanks for info guys i guess i will not mess with it

14. trip

trip New Member

Lots of time motorcycle shops have flints. Especially the cruiser shops (

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Best not to-
    I've polished a bunch but it was only because of a combination of boredom & liking "pretty" ramps :D

16. Stacheyboots

Stacheyboots New Member

I just polished my feed ramp on my 1911. I used a foredom tool with a foot pedal for speed control. I used a piece of 1/8 in drill rod that i split down the middle with a really small jewelers saw. I then wrapped it with some 320 emory cloth, then moved to 400 grit, and then used a hard felt bob with brownells white 550 polishing media. It all worked out great. You just have to make sure that you do NOT change the angle of the feed ramp.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Were you having trouble? The feed ramp guides the nose and ogive of the bullet, and in the 30+ years of 1911s, I've done only one (there were gouges from someone trying to feed empties from a mag and cases messed the anodized aluminum frame. Had to cut out the section and replace it.)

18. Stacheyboots

Stacheyboots New Member

No i wasnt having any feeding issues, i re-blued the frame, so in turn i had to clean up the feed ramp, disconnector rail, and then did a trigger job on it. All of this meant lots of time getting the blueing off of these crucial areas where friction is the devil lol.

19. Stacheyboots

Stacheyboots New Member

Oh and just in case anyone is looking at the remington R1's, those feed ramps arent even polished at the factory, and you will play hell trying to feed hollow points in them. Not a problem if you know how to fix it, but if not plan on dropping some money at your local smith to have the issue fixed.