polishing feed ramp

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jgwillir, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jgwillir

jgwillir New Member

Hi everyone, I am relatively new here and was wondering. I hear a lot of people talking about polishing the feed ramp of their firearms, using their Dremels. Is there a special compound or polish that should be used when doing this? Or should I just use the Dremel polishing pad by itself? Thanks for anyones info in advance.

J.G.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Its hard for me to tell someone not to do something I do myself-
    I polish mine with a dremel & compound BUT i've been playing with 1911's for a lot of years-
    You ruin the feedramp-You ruin the frame :(

3. jgwillir

jgwillir New Member

So with my lack of experience I would probably be better leaving it alone. Just out of curiousity what kind of compound do you use and does it really help?

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I just use the dremmel compound -
    I think it helps some - maybe just makes me feel better about having a shiny feedramp tho :D
    Its kind of a "IF IT AINT BROKE" thing ;)
    Good luck & shoot that thang safe :)

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

My advice is if it isnt broke dont fix it.

Does your gun have feed issues?? Does it jam?? if not there is no reason to polish the ramp. Polishing a feed ramp on a perfectly working gun may change it to a gun that starts to have feed issues.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish is usually recommended.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

About the only time a Dremel and a gun should be in the same room. Your goal is to polish, and NOT to grind or remove metal. A fine metal polishing compund such as white rouge, or even automotive rubbing compound. Brasso would do in a pinch. However, the lighter liquids will get thrown off by the high speed of a Dremel, and you will have a lot of freckles you never had before.

8. jgwillir

jgwillir New Member

Thanks everyone for the input. No I'm not having any issues as of late. But I did pick up this cheap 380 that I keep as a back up and the feed ramp has some burrs on it.
    I thought I might file the burrs and polish it. If I screwed it up it wouldn't be a huge loss.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Be a good one to pratice on then :cool:
    Just remove the burrs & polish - dont remove any surface metal or change the angle in anyway & it shud be fine :)

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Do the K.I.S.S. thing. Take a standard #2 pencil or 1/4" wood dowel and wrap some 600 grit emory paper around it a couple of times and lightly polish the ramp until it is nice and shiny smooth. :cool:

It doesn't usually take much effort to smooth them out and all you're doing is trying to do accelerate the break-in process some. After about 200 rounds, the gun would do the same process for itself.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you want to ruin a working firearm, have at it.
    If you want to fix a broken firearm, take it to a 'smith.

If it ain't broke then why break it?

Some things should not be taken on by anyone with limited experience.

12. jgwillir

jgwillir New Member

Thanks again Hoss; Snake & Dan! To Dan: for everything there is a first time. I'm a do it yourself type guy. I like to do my own stuff when ever possible. Even the best gunsmith started somewhere, sometime, at some point. But I appreciate your input. For everyone else I appeciate the helpful tips thanks.

J.G.

13. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

This is good advice. You mess up a feed ramp with a dremel and
    you are going to be spending some major money.

14. Jay

Jay New Member

You're absolutely correct. There is no requirement for a gunsmith endorsement on your "man card" to remove a feed ramp burr. Having said that, there have been some grievous errors made by blindly applying a Dremel tool to a firearm. Some experience working with metals would be beneficial.

My first thought would be "what caused the burr?" Fixing the burr, only to have it re-appear, would not be good. That's where a gunsmith might be able to assist, by suggesting a remedy. You then get to decide if you want to, or are able to tackle it.

Many compounds containing mild abrasives will polish, even toothpaste. Having spent 18 years as a mold maker, and tool maker, I use varying grades of diamond compound, although the suggestion already posted by Snakedriver is a good one.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it worked out.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  15. jgwillir

jgwillir New Member

The gun is new! But like I stated before a very inexpensive piece. The top of the feed ramp by the barrel has a very rough edge to it. I will probably just leave it alone. If it causes major concerns I may give it a shot myself.

16. Jay

Jay New Member

Then call the manufacturer. Most likely they will issue a pick-up order and have you return it on their dime, fix it, and return it to you.

17. fmj

fmj Active Member

polish ONLY if its not feeding reliably......elsewise leave it alone.

18. jgwillir

jgwillir New Member

Yeah she jams up pretty good. About every 4th round out of a 6 round mag. Put about 50 rounds though it. Couldn't get through a full mag. Without at least 1 jam. I 'll call the company first. If I get no results I'll give it shot. Like I said it was. Relatively inexpensive piece.

19. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

You answered your own problem. :D

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

How :confused: